Paints and Opinions on Weathering

Robbie

Alright guys and gals my armor kit is almost done and I should have it shortly. So I have recently been looking for ways to get dirty and a lot of the pictures are exceeding the bandwidth for photo bucket. So I am creating this thread to see what types of paints you all use and what colors as well as any opinions you might have.

Thanks

Robbie,

Hey man here is a good thread from Pandatrooper that explains what paints he used and why. He is quite an artist himself and is really good at simplifying processes that we all can follow. In this I believe he is using a good acrylic paint.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7290

I know some other people use Fullers earth, In fact the weathering on a Dirty Boy pack that I just received is Fullers Earth if I am not mistaken. He will corect me if I am wrong. It looks way cool Really sandy etc.

hope my link works and you get some more responses

This is/was my TM:

The one on the right. Painted using woodland scenics pigments

Posted Image

This is my VT:

Again using woodland scenics.

Posted Image

By slimsmally at 2011-03-13

Posted Image

By slimsmally at 2011-03-13

Just slightly different methods used to apply and mix it.

Is this the sort of thing youre after?

Smally.

I used 3 acrylic paints - tan (the most), dark brown (a little less), and black (very small amount). Mixed it all with water until it was somewhat runny (not thick like just acrylics) and it turned into a grayish liquid. Painted it on using a sponge type brush. Let it get slightly dry and started rubbing it off using a towel. I rubbed it off where I thought it would naturally get rubbed off. When it dried it turned color into a brownish color. (I think this is the very similar or the same way as pandatrooper)

I added some more layers (once it all dried) to some spots where dirt would normally collect. Now it looks like dried dirt.

Here is a first pic after doing the upper armor

Posted Image

The technique I have used the most is as follows:

Multilayer, multicolor acrilic paint.

Using, from bottom to top, Black, tan, light brown, brown and more black.

The most used color was tan and light brown.

I applied the layers rough to the plastic and then dilute it in-situ with a damp paper towel. Allowing to dry and scrub it with a dry-"er" paper towel.

Repeat with each color as necessary.

This are the results:

post-1761-049516300 1300994989_thumb.jpg

Next armor or helmet I will using Pandatroopers technique to get the oily weathering look.

Saludos