Mods to my IMA mp38/40 pouch

A few weeks ago, I got an MP38/40 pouch from IMA on sale. When it arrived it was way better than expected, but still not really accurate. So I decided to modify it to make it more as it is on screen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Most visible difference was the small pouch that was placed too much to the right. So I just toke it apart and sew it back in the correct place:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be continued...

And then, did some weathering and aging work on it:

1. I put it in very hot water to make it softer and the rolled up and down the whole pouch and the leather flaps. Trying to simulate the looping of the flaps of the pouch seen on screen. Allowing it to dry with wood blocks inside.

2. Then the dying. Since I didnt want it to be black but dark green, and also tyo have the look of and old dirty oily pouch, I used just a bit of the black cloth dye bag, and leave it boiling for a while before puting in the pouch.

I allowed the pouch to stay in the dye for just a minute and then wash it. Did this for a few times. Then put the pouch in the dye again but just the lower half of it. And washed it. Again a few times. Finally, I pour some dye in each pocket and leave it there to dry (kind of how a coffee filter works). This, to make some kind of color degrade effect. It worked nicely.

3. And finally the weathering. I used the hairspray and real dirt technique. Then tossed it to the floor and kick it around for a while.

It worked great. And I loved the final result.

This is how it looks now:

Posted Image

The new one vs the weathered one:

Posted Image

The whole set:

Posted Image

And kind off how it will look with the armor:

Posted Image

Im really happy and I think it came out very close to the screen used one. But, what do you think. Your input is very important to me. Any suggestions or ideas to make it better?

Thanks a lot.

Saludos

• 8 months later...

So, I have to ask, do you mean you put the pouch in boiling hot water with the dye? Or do you mean "warm" water? B)

I'm seriously asking.

I would guess very hot water... but I want to make sure. :P

Well,

This time it is boiling water for the dye. Actually, what I did was:

Boil water

Add the dye

Let it boil for around 5 -10 mins

Remove it from fire

Put the pouch in for a minute or so

Remove the pouch and wash it with warm water

Put the pouch in again for another minute or so

Remove pouch and wash... (repeat this for 4 or 5 times)

Finally, I pour some dyed water inside the pouch an let it drain, as a coffe filter. Did this like 3 more times. This so the pocuh would be darker at the buttom.

This, because I didnt want it to be black, but dark dirty green. I guess if you want it to be 100% black, you could just put it in the boiling water for a few minutes and let it dry afterwards. Repeatingt this a couple of times...

I must say that before putting it in boiling dyed water, I did put the pouch in hot water, not boiling but very hot as maximun as the facuet provided. Then played with it to make it soft and worn down. Maybe this prevented the shrinking if placed directlt into boiling water... a bling guess here.

And must warn you, the leather straps became from soft when new, to stiff and one became very stiff...

Hope it helps!

Saludos.

• 9 months later...