Movie Accurate Radio for the Pack....

TK8034

Okay. Art, Lewis and I have been talking about the radio on the backpacks. They obviously used a real radio from somewhere. I'm just going to throw this out there....

IF SOMEONE WILL FIND OUT WHAT RADIO THAT IS ON THE BACKPACK, I WILL GIVE THEM $1500 WORTH OF SCI-FIRE STUFF IN RETURN!!! PLEASE DEAR GOD SOMEONE FIND THE FRIGGIN' RADIO SO I CAN REST AT NIGHT.

Ahem. Okay then. The radio thing really, really bugs me. Some one has this radio in their garage or attic or something. It's not like they go through the trouble to make a limited run of 100 back in the 70's. There were at least thousands of these made....Where the **** are they?

I'm interested to see what you guys have discovered about this radio. I know I'm not the only freak who is working on this. Art is, I'm sure, sleeping and dreaming about radio boxes floating through the clouds. Slavefive is like, "Dude. Just make one. You can make one that is just as good." I can make one and I will but can't someone just find me one to mold? LOL.

What do you guys think? How big is this radio box?

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good luck.

Just like Art before me, I had a bounty out for one when I was doing my back pack project in 2006.

We got about as close as possible then...

Posted Image

I have a few of these in resin with nice sharp edges, but I don't use them on packs because of weight. They make good bucks for vac-forming, though.

Mike,

You guys did a great job! I think we are looking at a slightly different approach (not all vacced) but I really really want to find an original. I have been researching it for a long time and have had a lot of leads, but none have ever panned out. So, much like you, we are stuck with just reviewing the reference (which is all terrible) and doing our best.

Good luck.

Just like Art before me, I had a bounty out for one when I was doing my back pack project in 2006.

We got about as close as possible then...

Posted Image

I have a few of these in resin with nice sharp edges, but I don't use them on packs because of weight. They make good bucks for vac-forming, though.

I think someone, like the Sci-Fire guys could make a nice, detailed replica using the basic shape we have documented now, with some of the more minute details in that Rhapsody radio (assuming they're similar), and produce them in hyperfirm rubber, perhaps hollow to cut down on weight.

Believe me, a few years ago when I was researching and fabricating these packs, I contacted just about every vintage radio, transmitter, etc. web site I could find with no leads at all. I even assumed it was a toy radio (like the Rhapsody one) and searched high and low to no avail. I did get lucky and find a bunch of those vintage toggle switches on ebay. Those worked out perfect.

I would love to see this thing discovered, though. To me it's the holy grail... the only piece left that's a mystery. That and the original Seed Tray make.

Interesting thread.

I really hope, we find all the parts over time.

And even better, if we can have a maker.

Make a full screen accurate kit one day, of all the items used for the different ranks and pack versions...

Coincidentally I posted this to another forum this morning. This is a frustrating part to find for sure. At least it may pan out to be another lead to rule out.

I think it has many similarities to a National Panasonic Cougar radio line from the 1970's. If an actual radio wasn't used perhaps one could have been a base for a mold? I haven't found an exact match yet though.

I have a scale model of the No.7 or RF-877 that my wife recently picked up for me in Japan. She just thought it looked cool, it immediately reminded me of the Sandtrooper radio box.

Posted Image

TD1009, Def think the Cougar 7 (third down and on the left in your pics) is the closest we have seen in regard to similar styling as the one on the sandtrooper pack. We are leaning on it heavily for styling and detail. I am very very excited about this project as I think when complete, we will have as good as we can get unless better ref comes up. John made a discovery on the radio yesterday that has been staring us in the face for years but I have never heard anyone point out. Can't wait to share it and everything else we are working on with you guys.

My research has shown that the wild popularity of the Sony and National/Panasonic multiband radios with the military styling caused a mad spree of similar styled radios from a plethora of Japanese maunfaturers. Many of these were poorly documented and it is likely that the sandy radios were just one of these off-brand units (as I think if it were a major and well documented brand, we would have found it by now). At this point, having heavily researched it myself and knowing Mike did too, as well as numerous others over the years, I am convinced our finding it will be more through blind luck than through thorough research.

LOL. Well, We've already started working on this radio to make it super accurate but it would be so much better to have a real one to mold. I already lasered a prototype of the dial that we figure is the mold accurate at this point. There is not color added to the parts yet though. What we would make would include real toggles and cast dials. The speak grill would be cast but the faceplate might be vac'd. The box would be vac'd also. We would make it fairly easy to assemble.

The green and orange tints to the clear layers would be added.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dial looks nice. It's incredible to think if the radio box was a found item, it would have been discovered by now or someone that constructed them hadn't spoken out. Looking at it, it looks like a collection of components joined together.

'It's more bits of machine now than radio ham, twisted and evil'.

Sorry couldn't resist.