Boots: Black to White to Dirty

Hi everyone, This is my first ever progress post :-)

Back in December I decided I wanted to join the ranks of the 501st, firstly as a TK.

I've been building an E11 and a DLT-19 (pics to follow) and completing my boots.

I went to Celebration in Anaheim and met Anthony Forrest as well as some amazing Sand troopers so I decided to change my direction and join the MEPD!

The armour is in progress too, but I'd like to share my boots........

I bought a pair of Shires Woodstock Jodhpur Boots in Black, leather de-glazer, leather and fabric paint, masking tape, foam brushes and a fine artist brush.

I first used the de-glazer on the black leather. It took four sessions to completely remove the shine.

Then came the masking tape.

I thought this was a great idea and would be easier to not get an over spill on to the black edges.

After the first coat of leather paint I was curious to see the effectiveness of the masking!

Although for the best part it did a good job, because the boots are well made and have stitching all around the top edge of the sole it was hard to make a good seal and also i could see a line appear for where the masking stopped.

That's when I knew this was going to be a lot longer project!

I removed all the masking tape and painted with a very steady hand.

The large areas were covered by the small foam brushes (these don't leave streak marks) and the tiny artists brush made it possible to get to the edges easily.

Any slight errors were rectified at the end of the project by using a matt black touch up paint.

I applied 8 coats of paint in thin layers, three days apart from each other to ensure it was dried in between coats.

Once the leather had been finished I started on the black elastic with fabric paint.

I applied four thin coats and stretched the elastic while i was painting to make sure I got into all the areas.

The elastic is a lot stiffer now but its still works and looks really authentic :-)

Here are the photos so far....... only the weathering to come.

post-6281-0-17057000-1432560230_thumb.jp

post-6281-0-62592600-1432560262_thumb.jp

post-6281-0-27477400-1432560439_thumb.jp

post-6281-0-64117000-1432560448_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

Quick question... The CRL states that boots should be white leather or leather-like material... It doesn't state that black boot that are painted white is acceptable... A new member is considering doing this and I don't know what the best way to advise him... Nothing on the CRL really either way, but as long as they are white jodhpurs type (even painted) is he good?

Yes, as long as they are the style boots and end result is white, he is good. We looked into the change but was voted down. It may be revisited down the road

Thanks Rick...​

While I agree that the change was voted down, there was nothing to state that it was acceptable - that's all... Maybe the next potential revision is to state that the "black boots painted white" is an acceptable alternative to the stock white boots...