TD-Sharp's TD build - Docking Bay 94 Sergeant V1

TD-Sharp

Hello,

as my next costume I decided to build a TD. Not a quite known one as the "Move Along" or "Look Sir, Droids" but one that's "rarely" seen. My choice was the Docking Bay 94 Sergeant "V1". The reason why I want to build a TD wearing a white pauldron (a Sergeant) is: You see lots of Captains out there but not so many Sergeants or even Privates.

My aim is a quite big one: I'd like to build this TD regarding the guidelines for SWAT from the first. The base of my build is a Troopermaster armor ...

build_00_tm_td_kit_ra8oxwz.png

... which is currently already trimmed and waiting for assembly. This should be an easy going since I've already got a TK built myself which is "Centurion". But that's not the point. My task right now is to gather as many information of the "Docking Bay V1" as I can get in order to specify all the stuff I need for this special TD.

I looked quite a long time at the docking bay scene in order to grab the details of the "V1". I watched this scene from the Blue Ray version of ANH pretty often, took the reference pics from looksirdroids.com and a special discussion involving "V1" into consideration and compared all the gathered information to the CRL picture of the "Docking Bay 94 V1 Sergeant" from the MEPD gallery. The Result is that I'm a little bit confused about the things shown (and written). So I tend to consider only the pictures from within the docking bay (TDs shooting at Han and the Millenium Falcon) because it seems to be a fact that they changed the composition of the worn armors from scene to scene. Please correct me, if I'm wrong ... But now back to my observations:

Here's the reference picture taken from the gallery:
Sergeant-Docking-Bay-94-V1.jpg

And here are my findings based on some HD ref pics taken from ANH (found on looksirdroids.com).

The first TD appearing the scene (second in sequence), wearing a white pauldron is strongly considered to be "V1" ("V2" always keeps in the right background):

anh_docking_bay_94_02u3qdt.png

"V1" is now in the middle:
anh_docking_bay_94_03ibq43.png

anh_docking_bay_94_0474q6n.png

And here we've got a large one, showing some more details:
anh_docking_bay_94_13meqgi.png

This shows (compared to the MEPD gallery pic above) that ...

1) the small spanish pouches (left and right) are correct
2) the pauldron is white but "plain" white, not stitched
3) the MP40 ammo pouch is made of leather w/o tool pouch

Regarding the backpack: Since it is never shown in this scene, I suppose (and hope) that the gallery pic shows the correct one, because I've already got it ... ;)

The helmet design/appearance should also be clear since I suppose that "V1" is correctly identified though it would be of interest where this helmet is also shown, hoping to see more details.

As blaster I'm planning to modify a Doopydoo's E-11 to turn it into a bapty blaster.

I hope that my points are correct, so far and I'd be glad to receive some response that leads me the right way towards SWAT. Also corrections are pretty welcome!

Looking forward to all your comments ...
Michael.

Nice choice! I was originally going to go up to SWAT with this trooper. I built my TD using the reference picture from the gallery, but as you have found, the shoulder pouch and pauldron are actually different. I'm happy with my build, but will most likely not go for SWAT as-is. Maybe one day I'll get the leather MP40 pouch and the seamless pauldron.

A really good choice my friend and good eyes for the details!!

I would ask Jay for this Special pauldron. But i think that's not an issue for him;-)

Good luck dude and have fun with your build!

Today I wanted to cut out the teeth from the helmets' frown but I can't figure out if V1 has six or eight holes. I went through the ref pics and had another intensive look at the Blue Ray. No chance to figure out. When I zoom in this one ...

sandtrooper_hd_107.png

... and try to figure out the number of holes in the frown of each helmet while comparing one with anoter I end up with six each. They all look similar. But this can't be possible ... I think it's a given resolution issue so I assume V1 to have eight holes and hope to be right since the greatest probablity was eight holes ;-) Six holes are in deed pretty rare.

Btw.: The Captain's helmet in the scene above should really have six holes since this is the one speaking to Garinden. It's the "Stop That Ship..."-Trooper having this "joker" grin at the right side of his frown (http://starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-stop-that-ship-helmet.htm)

Can anybody confirm my assumption? I don't want to mess this up from the beginning.

OK ... faceplate done ... so far ... I tried to let it look as mean as I could get it :blush: Any comments or suggestions?

<edit>And as you see: eight holes :P </edit>

dsc_0297_1mcbls.jpg

dsc_0301n5se4.jpg

dsc_03023qsvi.jpg

It kind of looks like, Paul ...

dockingbay94v1helmetceskd.png

... so now I've got some problems concerning the teeth :confused: but I think that'll be easy to fix. I'll put some Apoxy Sculpt (kind of Greenstuff) on, close the outer holes and try to resculpt it. Seems that the other holes only have to get these "roundings". As for the eyes: I think there's enough ABS left to get them in shape. It's a pitty that your post came when done ...

Thank you very much for this pic :thumbsup:

Mitch,

Lovely research on this mate. I wanted to post earlier but wanted to check my details first.

This is NOT the Move along pack. One small detail that can be seen from the screenshot proves this. Look at how short the mortar tube is.

Now the black pauldroned trooper behind him appears to have the same Move Along pack that is seen in the alley check scene with the black lower trays. You can tell by the placement of the large box on the left top seed tray.

8ABBE815-E1EA-4793-9F22-8FC752D653E7_zps

Same as this pack

9D0232F7-CEFF-4B02-8ED3-8974AE2915D7_zps

So I think your guy is this guy

8E4B8940-BC1D-4077-BE82-29F2D38E0066_zps

Who has this pack

BF99287F-2925-4CEB-B613-0D747A3D865B_zps

Hi Nick,

thank you very much for sharing your findings :thumbsup: I'm still in doubt and not pretty sure if this is it. If you take a look at the last two pics, you'll se that the ear bumps are white and not painted grey ... Pouldron seems the correct one and this is what I mentioned: The consitance of a TD armor set varies from scene to scene. And if the TD in the second pic is "V1" then: Why does he wear a canvas ammo pouch with tool pouch? I hope you get, what I mean. It's a very, very cumbersome kind of research for this TD. Who can tell if V1 really wears this kind of backpack in the "Docking Bay 94"-scene ... ? By concentrating just on this scene, I suppose nobody can for sure.

But wait ... by looking at the scene before entering Bay 94 you can state that this TD ...

anh_docking_bay_94_pre1ulb.png

... the first in row wearing the white pouldron ist NOT V1 ... since this pouldron a kind of folded. But looking at the next pic ...

anh_docking_bay_94_prc1u2d.png

... you see a TD with a "plain white" pouldron which is strongly supposed as V1 ... and this is definitely NOT the "Move Along"-backpack ... sad but true! I still don't know how I should handle this finding.

Michael.

Great research Michael. Yes you are correct, but the pack is certainly not Move along.

I have the same headache with the Black Pauldron trooper from the Alley check scene, because he is also present in the outside docking bay 94 with a similar setup to the alley, and then changes for inside the docking bay. The same will apply to your guy here I suspect.

Nick

... but one evidence for this backpack is that the mortar tube is that low in position that it's never seen in the Docking Bay scene. This could otherwise also be a matter of the angle from which the scene was filmed ... and so on, and so on. I go nuts by thinking of all the scenarios that were possible ... :6:

Some progress on the facemask ... aka: "How to uglify my TD helmet" :P I tried to get the right angle to photograph my work with my mobile ... but I think it's tha lack of a professional camera and the according objective ...

img_20150807_184536wss00.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

... and so the story continues to the finalization of this Davin Felth-ish look-a-like bucket ;)

dsc_0665r4pyp.jpgdsc_0670ieq1b.jpg

dsc_0695msrx1.jpgdsc_0696gxod6.jpg

... aaaand done ...

dsc_0965ckp7v.jpg

dsc_0966ocpn0.jpg

There's still some weathering to be done. But now the next in line will be the strapping of the already assembled armor parts

• 2 weeks later...

While I did the strapping and adjustment for the belt I discovered one little funny thing: When V1 enters the bay, his belt sits in the correct position. During the action the belt must have been released from the snaps and moved downward :P ... so I decieded to fit the belt as it is worn when entering the scene. Here are the eividents:

Perfect fit ...

anh_docking_bay_94_0474q6n.png

... but suddenly ... oooops ...

sandtrooper_hd_107.png

... but V1 seems not the exception. Have a look at the TD on the left and see his belt ... ;)

So I decieded to adjust the belt close to the rectangle on the ab-plate with a veeery small gap between the lower border of the rectangle and the top edge of the belt like so:

dsc_0993qux6r.jpg

Please consinder: ... this pic was made with my mobile cam - pretty close ...