Gap in the backs of my shins

Musesoldier

My first time building armor has been relatively uneventful. Until now. While assembling my shins I got the sides sanded and trimmed to about 10mm front, and 13-5mm rear. after taping the shins up to see how they fit, I found out that the back of the shin piece has a gap right in the widest part of the piece (just above center middle).

12277980_1183756101653181_1270833553_n_z

12286018_1183756068319851_940600757_n_zp

Here are a few photos to show what I am talking about. You can see the gap in the back of the shin where the two halves refuse to join in the middle.

12295643_1183756734986451_1195984680_o_z

12281584_1183756674986457_353487217_o_zp

By either, overlapping the bottom I am able to close the gap or by squeezing the outer half with some pretty major force. I hoped that closing a small gap at the bottom of the front butt join that I could make the gap smaller.

12281902_1183765624985562_1770721407_o_z

So by working the tape a little, I managed to get the major gap shorter by eliminate the gap in the front bottom of the shin, but It did not solve my problem completely.

Will I be able to close the gap in the back with Velcro along the rear cover strip or hook and loop clasps? I haven't taken a heat gun to the pieces yet, but If there are any other gap closing techniques that I missed can you guys let me hear 'em?

From what I can tell, it looks like you're trying to get the backs of your calves to meet up in a butt joint. When you overlap the back of one over the other and attach with velcro, it should look just fine. Just make sure you can still fit your leg inside it. You will likely have to adjust the length at the top or bottom to level things out.

When you overlap the back of one over the other and attach with velcro, it should look just fine.

That's what I was hoping would work, but the gap just seemed to be a little too much to close up with Velcro or hooks because the top and bottom touch, so the decorative cover strip would be too wide at the top and bottom and too narrow in the middle. Although my under suit wouldn't show through, the bulge where the separation is would still show in a small degree.

12295643_1183756734986451_1195984680_o_z

On the backs of my calves, I did not use a decorative cover strip... i just overlapped the pieces as they were. In this photograph of yours, you seem to have the right idea on the bottom of the calf. Just swing the top half over and that should do it.

post-5765-144824565067_thumb.jpeg

You want to add the cover strip, NOT overlap one side over the other. The velcro will attach to one side of the cover strip as seen in the pic. I'd sand down the top and bottom a bit to bring them closer together and use a somewhat larger cover strip if need be.

Overlapping works provided you have a molded "cover strip" formed in your armor, which it appears you do. If you don't, then I agree with John... sand them down and apply a strip.

I dug into my archive of photos and found a set showing my legs. Again, mine are overlapped and work well.

Legspanel.jpg

On the backs of my calves, I did not use a decorative cover strip... i just overlapped the pieces as they were. In this photograph of yours, you seem to have the right idea on the bottom of the calf. Just swing the top half over and that should do it.

I actually hoped to use a decorative cover strip over the armor to give myself more meat for the velcro/ hooks to attach to. The only way to get the two halves to meet all along the middle is by overlapping the bottom few inches, or by squeezing the middle together with my hand. I couldn't get the whole thing to overlap while keeping a straight seam along the front due to the curvature of the plastic.

I'd sand down the top and bottom a bit to bring them closer together and use a somewhat larger cover strip if need be.

I did a little sanding on the top and bottom of the back seam to try to shrink the gap but it didn't do much at all. The curvature of the pieces still opens them up pretty bad.

From what you guys have said, it sounds like a cover strip and some good Velcro should hold it them together with out pulling apart while I walk or move?