Allerg3n's TD Build (WIP)

Allerg3n

I have an obligatory brown box pic, but it's on my wife's phone and inaccessible at the moment...will update this post when I can get it.

Obligatory shot of parts layout:

QIvRUFRl.jpg?1

Pauldron courtesy of Trooperbay.

Boots courtesy of Lands' End.

Gloves are cheapie $5 black PVC from Amazon.

Huge shout out to Anthony (Blaster 8266) for ammo pouches (not shown) - due to arrive any day now.

I realize the knee is the wrong type - I have the correct diamond sniper plate in my possession but accidentally grabbed the regular TK plate in my haste to get a picture.

Mad props to ATA - awesome to work with and buy armor from.

I've been perusing threads on strapping, snap plates, and the like in between furious bouts of sanding/carving for my DLT-19. That said I'm looking forward to hitting the dunes outside Mos Eisley with you all in the next few months! :td:

Looks fine!

I only notice the ribbed shoulder straps that acc CRL/MEPD req should not be ribbed

(for basic approval its maybe enough , whatever means "discouraged"), but maybe You already know.

Good luck! I just recently got it finished.

Thanks guys! ATA accidentally shipped the wrong kit, which is why the ribbed shoulder straps are in the pic with the wrong knee plate...We just use canvas/elastic straps for the shoulders, correct? They have to be white and 2" wide, as I recall.

I guess if I ever wanted to "revert" and go clean I've got all the parts I need to do it - but where's the fun in that? :P

Color is not the shoe

Kneeboard not the
These straps do not
:yes:
I have access to all parts of the armor with PVC - always help.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone! Got my bucket done (but not weathered). I had another helmet thread back when I was first assembling, but I seem to have lost it. Anyways, here be pics:

Right Side

ZySrWipl.jpg

Front

yhYThpkl.jpg

Left

6bQrA4Ql.jpg

Interior

0pbPgI1l.jpg

I created a post a few weeks ago on FISD about the Rustoleum rubber liner I used - the smell wouldn't go away. The solution was to hook the helmet up to a box fan and let the thing run for 2 weeks. Most of the smell is gone now, so I decided not to recoat with Plasti-Dip. The lenses are hot glued in with some spare black foam around the rims to preserve appearances. The pads are military helmet pads from Amazon. Supremely comfortable, and fits my head like a glove.

Started assembling biceps as well. Here's a shot of one assembled with the shoulder bell attached (via a strap). It's pretty snug on my arm and there's not much return edge - is that about how it should look?

qcn7phPl.jpg

akDqUn9l.jpg

The other strap/snap plate is there for the forearm piece. That's curing on my floor right now, along with the left bicep:

GgLpPael.jpg

Once I get them on they're pretty comfortable, and while movement is restricted it's actually not as bad as I'd expected initially. I just didn't want to take off all the return edge if there's supposed to be some left.

Hey all,

Couple more questions for you. First up, return edges - from most threads I've read, it seems like people don't leave a lot of return edge on the biceps/forearms. Here's mine so far:

(Right arm is on the right side; left arm is on the left)

mgq65sjl.jpg

(Left arm is on the right side of the picture)

fw4JZShl.jpg

I also started trimming down the torso pieces. DroidHunter's ATA thread has been really helpful, but I'm not sure if I'm still leaving too much return edge on my kidney/front pieces.

Top of the kidney piece:

KPmITMtl.jpg

Bottom of kidney:

5LKoZksl.jpg

For the kidney I basically followed mold lines...Does all that look OK?

Last question - I bought a Tekton rivet kit but apparently the rivets aren't large enough. I've been reading that rivets (those to attach elastic on the left side) should be 8mm or 9mm, or 3/8" equivalent. Are all the rivets in the build supposed to be this size? I may be able to return the Tekton kit but I just want to be sure before buying another one.

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers!

Time for an update! Here's my layout:

lIKrtYVl.jpg

And here's how it all fits currently:

oqDLmJEl.jpg

mqwafWnl.jpg

UW5fQbql.jpg

TlQBN5Dl.jpg

oburH6il.jpg

0jOTdvDl.jpg

uK16kqEl.jpg

u2oAQpcl.jpg

UW5fQbql.jpg

Apparently I have a long neck :teehee:

I haven't done the crotch strap yet, which is why the butt plate is a bit wonky. Also I need to fix straps between my shoulder bells and shoulder straps to keep them pulled tighter on my arm; once that's done I'll have less undersuit showing.

Comments welcome - thanks for your feedback everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Question - I'm putting my thighs together and I noticed that after measuring, I have a huge space between the ridges on the back of my left thigh. Like 1.5 inches. (It does taper towards the bottom)

5BoVUGBl.jpg

Is that a dealbreaker? Do I leave the cover strip at 7/8ths inches? The right thigh didn't have this issue so I'm not sure if maybe it's a quirk of ATA armor. I do a lot of cycling (yay, thighs!) but they're both about the same size.

I have the fronts of the thighs sized appropriately at 7/8ths inch cover strips:

yD0BfaHl.jpg

Progress pics! Torso is done. Here's the strapping system:

jef2qZtl.jpg

QmiBMz9l.jpg

Waiting for the glue to dry on the greaves:

2bD1La5l.jpg

Electronics for the helmet come this week - should have legs done by Friday and then it's down to the belt and neckseal.

So I ended up splitting the difference on the back of the left thigh with a 1" strip. Doesn't look too bad. I also installed my thigh pack on the right leg - need to work on strapping and then I'll post up another round of pics as a test fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers!

Going to a friend's daughter's birthday party tomorrow - their whole family are huge Star Wars fans. Should be fun, and I figured it'd be a good "trial run" for the armor. The only thing I'm missing is Darman's neck seal and then I'll be ready to take pics for 501st acceptance. I'll have my wife take some pics tomorrow though and share them - will be good for critique on the build.

One glaring error is bothering me - I can't seem to get the gap on my left side to close properly. I accidentally stiffened the elastic with glue (whoops) and now it doesn't pull back anymore, which sucks because I have it all riveted in. I suppose I may have to cut it and use snap plates to tighten the sides up. I don't really need to shim because the ab probably isn't as tight on me as it should be anyway. (I left a little room for "growth" when I my 30s in two years :teehee: )

But regardless, I'll post up with some pics soon. Thanks again for all your help!

Party went well - no real pics because my wife was busy corralling kids who wanted photos - that was awesome. :thumbsup:

I submitted pics for 501st membership tonight - here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/NgQKJ

I do have a few minor things to clean up...my left shin keeps popping under my boot, which gets annoying fast.

Thanks guys! It's kinda remarkable how much the light washes out the dirtiness in photos - I may take some in natural daylight to compare, but I was too eager to take pics in order to get 501st approved. :teehee:

This winter's projects: newborn baby girl, and Dirty Boy's backpack for MEPD approval :salute: