Shiny Weathered Armor?

Stormcracker

I have noticed that even after the weathering is complete some of the armor is still shiny. I saw one tutorial, can't remember where at the moment, that suggested using a very fine sandpaper, then weather the armor.

I am getting ready to weather my helmet and I wanted to see if this was a good idea or not.

Pictures say more than words dude!!! Let's see'em!

Also, I did not use any sandpaper to weather mine at all. Depending on what method you are using, I don't see any reason to use sandpaper....

Hi Jeffrey,

I wouldn't worry too much and I wouldn't use the sandpaper it could be a huge task and also ruin your armor.

It always depends which caracther are you looking at.

The chaps here below had shiny lids altough were deeply weathered. Check the highlights.

8669090677_ca48e4fe1f_o.jpg

7985737642_a162ef28ac_h.jpg

8110257094_f2e3ecdd18_o.jpg

As the guys have already stated, keep away from the sandpaper.

This'll just ruin the plastic of your armour.

As Ruggero is saying, ALWAYS go to the original source for direction. This will give you the best on screen look.

I just want to re-iterate what everyone has been saying. Don't use sandpaper. I used acrylic paint. It can be removed and buffed out if I ever wanted to, but I never will :)

There are techniques to achieve the look you want that does not permanently damage your armor. Look at the threads for weathering. I used the "GZ" method to get me started and couldn't be happier my results.

Remember, "No sandpaper to be Sandy" :td:

Don't have any regrets in getting dirty!!!! :td::td::td:

Are you plannig to make it shiny again? :trooper:

I did the ice bucket challenge with mine and the paint didn't come off. I used acrilycs.
Living in UK the weather ain't so clement and using the glue trick could be a problem.

Yes, standard white glue which is PVA. Not the yellow kind for carpentry. Just water it down 50/50 with the glue, and sponge or dry brush it on if you feel you need to dull the finish.

Keep in mind that in ANH, they rushed the first sets of armor to Tunisia and weathered it on the spot. There's photos where you can still see that the armor is shiny in some spots where its not obscured by the dirt - which was a more mixture of dirt and oil.

• 1 month later...