Suggestion

nick.black

Noel and all,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to post an FAQ section on the bar at the top of the website? We seem to be seeing the same questions from lots of people on the forums, which is something I am sure has happened forever and will probably still happen, but it might be beneficial to have a link to an area where new members and visitors can get all the answers they need in one place.

What do you think? I'd happily be involved in setting something up.

Nick

Maybe stuff like where to get armor, what the pouches are, what the weapons are, what do the different colour pauldrons mean, what is the backpack made from. Do I need a backpack for Police officer. What's the difference between police officer and swat. Stuff like that.

Nick

There is the MEPD Officer Training post which is posted really big at the top of The Barracks.

I started an FAQ page about 2 years ago. Daetrin at the FISD thought it was going to be a "game changer." No one ever logged in or used it. So we took it down.

The thing is people don't read them if they're there.

Example... I have my Armor 101 page and look at that big bold text right at the top of it. Guess what every email I get from that website asks me? The very questions I say not to ask. I send people back to that page and say, "read that!"

I guess I get a little discouraged about ideas like this because they sound great but they're never used, you still get people asking the same stuff, and no one helps update it or keep it current. I mean I constantly refer people to the MEPD Officer Training page and still get questions even after that about things that are answered on that.

If you know a way around it or have other thoughts let me know.

I see what you are saying Nick, but I have to agree with Bluey. Maybe it is the 'instant answer' universe we live in that makes people just want immediate answers. There is SO much info here on this forum, I am still amazed by it! When I decided to go TD I just started reading everything and used the search function here. All my questions were answered that way - I didn't have to ask anything.

So I doubt anyone can stop all the generic questions - someone will always post a question that is already answered somewhere in this forum. Just have to refer people to the search function which is one of the best tools on here IMHO.

Maybe move the MEPD Officer Training thread to a more prominent sub forum, or label it specifically under the Barracks sub forum.

Yeh I knew that the answer would be, "we'll still get asked all the same questions anyway" and I knew that that would kind of be expected, but I just thought a little bit of help for those starting out would be useful. I only ask because I have recently helped out a few UKG members with some information.

Ah well worth a try.

Nick

Yeh I knew that the answer would be, "we'll still get asked all the same questions anyway"

That's really irrelevant to whether or not we should have it though. What's more relevant (to me) is we tried it and literally had no one use it or visit the page for over a year. I believe there were 3 posts and me, Juan, and Daetrin were the only ones ever on it.

Maybe bad timing?

Maybe should do it again... ??

if anything maybe remame "mepd officer training" to something like "all new mew members plese read before posting".i found this section so helpful but when i was new i didnt realise what content it held,just an idea! :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea. :)

(doing this now)

DONE... Check out that wording... better?