The 'what the hell am I doing' factor

PNerves

I'm well in the weathering of me armor- I plan on getting a new camera this week and pics will be on my website- but I seem to have hot a wall on it. Besides having a lot of little things that I can not seem to get organized, I am having real problems getting the wearthering looking at all right. I am following the methods listed in other posts, but my doubt is becoming overbearing. Is this a normal thing to have happen?

Well, I have attempted weathering on my armor now a total of three times. The first time I used actual clay/dirt which did look good, but came off quite easily and was constantly adding more dirt to each event I participated in. I've been using acrylic paints now and they seem to be working fairly well for me, but I'm not 100% sold on how my weathering turned out so I've been thinking about doing it again (not in anytime soon though). It almost seems that you have to have some artistic talent, because you can't just slap some paint on and think that it looks weathered. It definitely takes some practice, and I think that the next time I attempt weathering my armor it will just look a little bit better than how it looks right now.

What weathering technique are you doing to your armor? I can't wait to see pics of your progress.

I think it's OK to not get it "right" the first time. I redid most of mine already and it hasn't been 6 months. OK, maybe it has.

That's the nice thing about tempura: don't like it wash it off. Like it, add more. I was able to add a second coat in under an hour.

Send pix - hard to get an idea of what you're going through from text alone.

I'm using tempra paints. I have done a full layer of black, and let it dry and done a wipe down, and have applied a less full layer of brown. The chest piece has been my gauge, and it's had black, brown, a reddish brown, another brown and a sandy color. I wish my camera was working, cause I could really use some learned critisism

Try using a sponge (I.E. Furniture grade, not kitchen sink cellulose type)... and lightly dab, layers upon each other.. don't be afraid to scuff top layers as you go....

I am re-working mine (2nd time in 6 months).... I cannot stress this enough... TAKE YOUR TIME! Work slowly and methodically, I worked on my helmet for a week.... (about 6-8 hours).....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/a ... M0991a.jpg

• 10 months later...

I just weathered my first piece tonight. I am going to take off all of the paint. I don't have the fuller's earth yet, but it has been ordered. Anyway, I finished after 1 hour of putting paint on, taking paint off, over and over (I am using Brak's, but not Woodland Scenics). I looked at the chest plate, and the first thing I thought was, Wow, I'll look like I was on the business end of a dog with explosive diarreha. So, yeah I am at the "What the **** am I doing" stage right along with you. I think that I need to get some other paint colors and just experiement. Let's all be glad that this paint isn't permanent.

i agree! that tutorial is a great starter upper. i was able to come up with this from that tutorial using tempera paints and later going over it with fullers earth. http://photobucket.com/albums/y112/philthe...nt=IMG_0492.jpg

Dude what was that event and how did I miss it oh well

I weathered my old suit 4 times before I parted with it and still wasn't happy. Mike & I worked on my current one and there are quite a few hours in each part. Probably 30 hours or more in the suit as a whole. I'm pretty content now but yes, you will do and re-do a number of times. Don't give up, practice makes perfect.

unless you've used permanent paint( ), you can slap it all on at random, as i'm sure sand and dirt is a fairly abstract affair, wipe it all off start again, wipe it off and so on. each time will leave a little residual muck and that will look far more natural than a systematic application of paint in a controled way. i even went as far as using a fan on full blast and throwing powdered pigment into it so that it chucked it forcefully at the armour like a sand storm. it made a bloody awfull mess and very little pigement ended up where i wanted it but you gotta try these things. making something look weathered naturaly requires exceptional skill and a good eye (see boba fett project on starwars helmets) but for this kind of thing you need to think like sand, man

• 4 months later...

i even went as far as using a fan on full blast and throwing powdered pigment into it so that it chucked it forcefully at the armour like a sand storm.

Wish I'd been there to witness that, hahahaha!!!

Wish I'd thought of that.