silverBoyd's Backpack Build

silverboyd

I started putting together and collecting parts for my backpack build 4-5 months ago. I'm now in the assembling stages since I'm just about completed with my T21/Lewis blaster build. I used Scootch's tutorials on these forums to assemble my PVC backpack frame. Turned out great and bending the PVC frame to the proper angle was simple when using a heat gun.

Posted Image

I decided to pickup aluminum flat bar to stiffen up the seed trays once they're attached. I'm glad I did. In the end I ended up using (2) pieces of 1/8"x1 1/4" wide aluminum flat bars (the main bars) and (2) pieces of 1/8"x3/4" wide aluminum flat bars (extra reinforcing) for the extra strength to keep it from "wobbling" while I'm wearing the pack. In the end I spent around $12 @ Lowe's for the aluminum. Overkill? Maybe....but I'll have a strong backpack while trooping.

Posted ImagePosted Image

For the upper seed trays that I used from www.ParkSeed.com, I started constructing my exhaust port. I used a 6"x3"x2" project enclosure from Radio Shack & a plastic plumbing piece I found from Lowe's (moved around a few of the parts). I measured a slot for the plumbing piece to fit through the top and did some "Dremel Magic". The plumbing piece fit in perfectly and I secured it to the inside with lots of hot glue. Screwed on the back cover & then created a small piece to fill in the hole left in the newly formed slot. I used Plasti-Dip on the small piece of plastic. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Now I needed to fab the "feet" to use to attach it the exhaust port to my Seed Trays. Built them out of 2mm styrene plastic as well as a few triangular details that I'll add to the feet once the exhaust port is attached. I glued the pieces onto the project enclosure with E6000 and once it set up...I spray painted everything with a Flat Black. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I attached the exhaust port to the tray with 1/8" rivets and rivet washers. Once attached, I glued on the triangular pieces to the "feet". I'm pleased w/ the results. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

May have skipped this but here are some backpack pieces all painted and waiting for their place. Posted Image

Some parts look gray on the inside but when outside the pieces are really a nice blue shade. I used Rustoleum Satin Slate Blue. Posted Image

Wasn't sure about it at first but I'm pleased with the outcome. I'm also colorblind...so I really have a hard time seeing shades of blue at times. Here's what the color looks like outside in natural sunlight...

Posted Image

Ordered my Sonix Victory radio faceplate from Mike over at Trooperbay.com. Very pleased with what I received. Posted Image

Mike gives you the option to choose Dial Option "A" or Option "B". I believe I chose Option "B". So far I have lightly drilled out a few detail holes all over the faceplate, drilled out the radio speaker "area", added a faux dial knob, painted on a little Aurebesh (did I spell that right?) and added in some switches I picked up at Radio Shack.

The switches move up and down but don't actually control anything.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Still more work to be done with the radio but that's all I have for now. The faceplate will be attached to an 8x6x3 inch project enclosure from Radio Shack utilizing a few furniture cabinet door magnet closures . Updated 02.14.12 Got everything attached to my upper half of the top seed tray. My exhaust port, upper canister w/ lid, tool box (which can open up and be used to actually put stuff in while trooping) & the "shotgun shells". I'm pleased. Now to assemble the bottom of the seed trays to the frame so that I can attach this upper tray half. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Got home to see a package from Singapore at my door. It's the final piece for my backpack...my cistern. Bought it from Gordonator from the 501st Singapore Garrison. Very nice quality. Very much worth the 2 weeks to wait for it

Posted ImagePosted Image

Got the upper seed tray screwed to the lower part of the top seed tray. All seems to be very strong and secure. Posted Image

Here's a shot of my tool box that actually opens in case I need or want to store anything while trooping. Posted Image

Almost have my cistern finished. I cut off the top plastic nub and sanded smooth, cut off the extra "nipple" on top of the cistern and then custom drilled and filed out some square slots in the plastic to accommodate the zip-ties I decided to use rather than cutting up my cistern and using the vintage Tupperware burger stackers I have. I'm satisfied with the zip ties...in the end they just are meant to represent "mold lines" in the cistern.

I still need to Bondo the area on top of the round "stacker area" that was the 2nd "nipple".

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost have my backpack finished. Spent an hour or so working on my cistern, fixing the magnets inside the radio box & attaching the stuff to the lower seed tray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More progress pics to come soon...

• 3 months later...

Today I installed my simple speaker setup for the inside of my backpack radio. I found some small speakers at Walmart that were only $5. Attached them to the inside via industrial strength Velcro. I also attached Velcro to the back of my iPod. Seems to work like a champ.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...