Backpack question

BlackWolf13

Even though my armor is still a ways off, I'm hoping to get started on a backpack & BFG in the near future. One thing I noticed: with most "real" backpacks they have a belt that fastens around the waist thus letting the hips carry most of the weight and letting the shoulder straps hold the pack in a vertical postion. Is there a way to do this with stormtrooper armor? Of all the backpacks I've seen, I don't recall seeing a setup like this. Is this because there's no way to do it without compromising the SW-iness of the armor or has it just not been thought of? I'd like to do something like that with my armor & backpack but not at the expense of the armor's integrity. Granted, accuracy & comfort should go hand in armored hand, but the screen accuracy should come first.

Is there a way to do this with stormtrooper armor? Is this because there's no way to do it without compromising the SW-iness of the armor or has it just not been thought of? Granted, accuracy & comfort should go hand in armored hand, but the screen accuracy should come first.

You bring up some very valid questions. The answers are:

1. No or maybe.

2. Yes or possibly.

3. No.

4. Yes. (Accuracy)

I don't think the screen used packs ever had a waist strap, just the two shoulder straps. I've built and worn two different types of packs this way without any issues at all. The real trick is the order in which the pack goes on and what armor parts. For example, with my old FX kit, the shoulder straps were really wide, so I would kinda run the pack's shoulder straps under and out... kinda difficult to explain without showing it. But, it was most comfortable and stable this way. I found that other troopers who didn't do it the way I did, would have numerous issues with their chest piece riding up or flipping out.

Now however, with a TE and screen-accurate pack, the armor shoulder straps and packs straps don't interfere with each other. But, I do put the pack on first, before I attach my shoulder bells, etc.

You might try making your shoulder bell straps

longer so the pack straps ride over the bell straps

i'm a big trooper so i did this before i built my pack,

so it worked out great for me.This makes a wider gap

between the bells and chest strap

I'm going to be wearing my rig for a full troop for the first time in 2 weeks or so. I've thought about a waist belt on the pack, but am going to give it a try without for this troop. I'm thinking it would be relativly easy to slip a belt under the ab plate and connect it in place. We'll see. Right now my pack has thin straps with a chest connection.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just wanted to see if it was even worth trying before I attempted it. I'll wait till I have my armor & everything else and see.

One other question (mainly to satisfy my own curiosity)- Is it known what parts were used for the original packs back in '77 or has it been a scavenger hunt for items that look similar to those on the packs?

one of the the parts is called the radar dish at the bottom of the right side tube. we do not know if this was really used while ANH, but a TUPPERWARE lid fits exactly. take a look in the MEPD members gallery. TK-607 has some ref pictures...

also here in this section of this forum are some nice threads dealing with this kinda question...

http://www.sandtrooper.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=813

http://www.sandtrooper.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=885

also have a look at :

http://www.tk409.com

chris has a lot of information for sandtroopers and also a nice tutorial for backpacks including supplier suggestions....

Yeah, I remember my folks having those Tupperware containers. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, the top had a little plunger type thing you press down on when replacing the lid to ensure a tight fit. I may have to go raid their cupboards or garage to see if they're still around. I'll post if there's more than one.

This weekend, I'm going to start on my backpack. At least parts gathering anyway. That is unless the wife & kids decide otherwise, but I digress... I saw a picture someone posted of a brown canvas Boy Scout backpack they'd used the frame from to build their pack. I have that exact same pack. The question is- is it better to use an actual pack frame or build one from PVC? I've seen both. Is it a matter of personal taste or would there be a more practical reason for one over the other?