Radio

1970s

OK - if anyone wants me to take any specific measurements or photos let me know - I will be glad to post them.

Obviously this is a Canadian version of the sonix victory radio.

It definately is the cheapest *** radio I've ever seen - the rear panel is chip-board covered with vinyl and snaps to close it up. The vinyl on the sides is not a removable cover - it is glued on.

There is no "D-ring" on the side of this version, also the type is a little different, the radio dial is differnet, and the logo is on the opposite side of the Sonix Victory radio. - the Logo spot is a slight inset in the plastic aswell.

I came across this by accident on ebay - I was searching for a vintage 1967 12" GIjOE Tank commander radio - and this came up in the search. I couldn't believe it. Here is the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300611235042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

When I found the auction there was only about 4-5 hours left and it had no bids and was at .99 cents.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/North-Star-Swing-Interlectronic-Ltd-Hongkong-5-Band-Radio-GI-Joe-Style-R-R-/300609506284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fdb90bec

I made the mistake of writing the guy if he would close the auction and sell it out right to me - he closed the auction and relisted it with a buy it now for $75.00.

I made some comparision photos to some items I purchase here - the radio face is a little smaller and the metal box is actually very close in size (see my photos above).

The bumps on the bottom are a stand.

The "TUN" "VOL" and "AM/FM" squares are all the same height and lower than the other 3 squares "POWER" "TONE" + DIAL are the same height.

The TUN knob also on this version does not have the holes at the second flat level.

The Radio is approx 7" 4/16 wide - that measurement is from the endges of the plastic - not the outer measurements of the vinyl cover.

It's 8" 9/16 tall.

The speaker is approx 3" 9/16 in diameter.

Thanks,

J

Oh - something I forgot to mention.

This radio was in the "HAM" Radio section as a reciever.

Don't know if anyone is familiar with "HAM" Radio's but I think it's something anyone could by and broadcast themselves - at a limited range - and just like normal radio, anyone with a HAM radio could pick up the broadcast.

This radio is a 5 band radio which leads me to believe that the seller put it in the correct section and it is a HAM Radio reciever (meaning it could recieve HAM radio broadcasts) but not send them.

I hope this helps in your searches.

j

WOW!

This is awesome!!

I want one now!!!

So, do you think there is any special place where we can find old vintage Canadian HAM radios that get lost???

Lots of upgrades for my zenix Radio...

Starting with the sewing line on the vinyl cover!

THX for the pictures!

:D

Saludos

Posted Image

OK - if you see those white spots on the 2 sides and top of the radio - those are openings in the plastic body and the white you are seeing is the cardboard backing card of the vinyl cover.

On the upper right and left sides - you can see 2 screws coming in on each side - those are to the strap brackets - there is a cheap flat piece of metal that the screws are going through to hold them in place - The company was too cheap to even use a nut!

You know I did even bother to check if this thing works yet. But I guess that doesn't really matter!

j