501st base approval vs. SWAT

stormtrooperguy

Hello Sandtroopers!

I've got a question for you all about SWAT requirements vs. base 501st.

The base CRL standard says that pauldron and pouches are required, but the SWAT spec for the "no rank" trooper as seen in Docking Bay 94 shows no pauldron/pouch:

http://www.mepd.net/crl/no-rank/

How does that reconcile? One would have to be approved with those accessories then remove them for SWAT certification?

Hi, Brian!

You are correct. A 501st approved TD must meet the requirements for MEPD Deployment first.

Once approved as an MEPD Officer and you wish to become S.W.A.T. , you can then choose from any of the troopers. Pauldron or Pauldron-less that you want to replicate at that point.

MEPD Police Officer status requires all applicants to be approved with weathering, pouches and pauldrons before S.W.A.T. consideration.

I hope that helps, Brother! Posted ImagePosted Image

Hello Sandtroopers!

I've got a question for you all about SWAT requirements vs. base 501st.

The base CRL standard says that pauldron and pouches are required, but the SWAT spec for the "no rank" trooper as seen in Docking Bay 94 shows no pauldron/pouch:

http://www.mepd.net/crl/no-rank/

How does that reconcile? One would have to be approved with those accessories then remove them for SWAT certification?

Brian!!! Whats Up!!!! thats EXACTLY what one would have to do if they elected to replicate the "no rank" trooper. SWAT is the next step for some but not for others...

Love to see you on here more man...Ive seen the amazing work youve done and looking forward to seeing what you will do with your sandtrooper. :)

Here's my concern with that... this means that a SWAT approved trooper would have to be in a non-501st approved configuration in order to be able to troop in his/her SWAT version.

In other detachments the various levels are all enhancements to the base standard, but don't conflict with them.

In this one case, the no-rank SWAT configuration is not valid for basic membership, which seems odd. If there is a sandtrooper seen in ANH without pauldron or chest pouches, wouldn't that mean that it is, technically, something that should be approved at a basic level?

I don't personally love the idea of a pauldronless TD, but it seems like there's screen reference to match it.

I'm running through CRLs and detachments to try to get things updated on 501st.com. I've linked back to the SWAT pages here from the Legion CRL, but then I noticed that conflict.

I think what you have stated is more or less correct, and I can understand if you look at it from a very black and white point of view.

But keep in mind that 501st CRL's are canon and what the general public feels a specific character should look like. Most of the TD's in ANH had pouches and a pauldron, only one did not. This starts getting messy: if you watch the "new" SE versions, there are sandy / TK's standing in Tatooine with no pauldron or pouch but they are dirty!

You could say the same about ANH: why do TK's "have to have" blue tube stripes on their helmets, but Mr. No Stripes clearly has no stripes? But the CRL states you must have them as a TK. That's kind of a one off example. All TK's have to have them because most do.

Keep in mind that if you were attending an official 501st event, (eg: Rose Bowl parade or some LFL official event) you would likely need your TD to have pouches and a pauldron as per the CRL. If you are attending a con or other local event and your CO / SL says its OK, you could go in SWAT configuration and do the pauldronless / pouchless version. Don't get me started on the Biker Scouts and other characters that wear pauldrons at events... :)

Remember that SWAT is not an official designation of the 501st, it's a detachment based level of accuracy. It's also just for fun. :)

Search your feelings and you will find there is no conflict!!

:)

No, really bro. There is no conflict since SWAT and MEPD are not membership or trooping statuses for the 501st records, but more a badge for the detachment members.

It is, lets say, something you can aim as once you are clear as a 501st member, to have more fun.

You are not required to troop in your Police Officer or SWAT configuration unless you want to (most of us do) and your Garrison Membership Officer says its ok. The whole program is just a set of requirements to get an award, not a designation. So, you could hold the SWAT status, but still troop with your 501st CRL configuration.

We, as a Detachment, design the program to give some more committed (or obsessed) members something to look up to and keep working to have more accurate armor. And even though it is highly admired to achieve the SWAT status, is does not gives a trooper any special power, place or status 501st Legion wise. All you get is the recognition of fellow TDs and most of all, the satisfaction of going the extra miles in accuracy.

And I also need to say that, although it looks like a progressive path for members, it is not really. Cause anyone with regular TD designation will always be as important to this detachment and its voice and opinion will be as important as anyone with Police Officer or SWAT badges.

You do need to fulfill all CRL requirements for 501st to aims for police officer, and the police officer to aim for SWAT... but as you stated, it is not the next step like in other detachments. It is more like new path to follow after Police Officer clearence.

Does that makes sense???

Pls, if my English feels short to fully explain this concepts, let me know and I will try my best to make it easier to explain what I mean... Anyway I am sure Bluey or Dirty Boy will explain better what I meant...

:)

Saludos

Juan

LOL!!!!!!

Soooooooo, you are the LMO????

Yes, that I am! I should probably have posted some sort of intro. I haven't been active here in years (my TD was retired in 2008). Earlier in the year I was talking to Bluey about MEPD CRL stuff but since it was all basically done and working I moved on to other things.

Now I'm back :)

Are you thinking of joining the chosen few Brian?

Re-joining at some point to be sure. I've got this crazy goal to be an active member of every detachment in the Legion.

Right now I'm debating between converting my existing white TK to a TD, or just getting another set of armor. I've got 2 FISD approved suits, so I could always steal one over to this side of the fence :)

My avatar is my old TD from 2007. I do miss it!

Re-joining at some point to be sure. I've got this crazy goal to be an active member of every detachment in the Legion.

Right now I'm debating between converting my existing white TK to a TD, or just getting another set of armor. I've got 2 FISD approved suits, so I could always steal one over to this side of the fence :)

My avatar is my old TD from 2007. I do miss it!

that would be awesome man :)

Yes, Juan explained it well!

The best way to say it is a "badge."

You have to be 501st to get the SWAT but can't get 501st with the SWAT. :P

It's sort of a catch 22 in that regard.

But yeah... I think you get it now. :)