MEPD Dept Of Finance

DirtyBoy

Hey troops.....so this idea has been brewing in my head for quite some time and wanted to get the groups feedback on it. A basic outline of said dept would be to provide a "more" secure way of purchasing items within the group.

A designated person would be responsible to "hold" funds for a purchase that was going to happen between 2 individuals. It would be additional protection over what payday does.

For example....

Tk0u812 is selling armor for $2000 to td007....td007 doesn't feel comfortable giving up $2000 to someone they have never met....paypal is in place so there is that safety net but are looking for something more secure since it's a lot of money.

The two elect to use the DOF and td007 sends payment. TK0u812 ships item and supplies tracking #....then funds are released to cover shipment costs. Once item arrives to td007 full payment is then transferred to TK0u812.

Now granted their will be additional fees the buyer mat have to absorb or be worked out between them but realistically I would be more apt to purchase from someone who was willing to use the DOF.

Any thoughts?

Sounds interesting...

But, money is always a delicate matter.

No wonder the Legion as an organization has always left the money issues and transactions to members themselves and between themselves.

I wonder... this would be great to have, a more secure way to buy and sell stuff but, would it be better in terms of the club and the organization than leaving it to private members and not get involved?

After all, there is no real attachment, contracts, bills or balances within the legion... so.

Thoughts?

:)

Saludos.

True definitely a very delicate matter. Maybe it's one o those things that would have to be handled outside the legion. On the flip side I hate to see a member get burned on a $$$ transaction. Let's face it we are all pretty trysting of one another and a very tight as a group. I would think something like this would only be used in certain circumstances. The Mepd has set the bar in the past...maybe it's time again and a system can be established legion wide. Btw in no means would we be involved in any other capacity aside from verifying shipment took place. Quality would be handled through the buyer/seller

In theory it is an outstanding idea. I think the challenge will come in terms of execution and sustainability. The first hurdle will be to find somebody willing to be responsible for the MEPD end. Beyond that is how will MEPD continue to man this operation in the future, a future when we aren't here anymore (more specifically, when you and the rest of the current staff aren't here anymore). Finally, the do we really want MEPD in the middle of transactions? MEPD will not doubt become the arbitrator in any disputes that arise. Does MEPD want to take sides?

I agree with the idea and I think your heart is in the right place Rick, but logistically this may not be feasible. Just my $0.02.

True....no sides could or would be taken. It's literally as simple as a holding account until the shipment is processed. There would be no evaluations of quality or anything along those lines.

The person who would control well that's a tough question.

Once a program is put in place I guess it would be handed off to next gens. I know ill be here forever :)

Buyer protection sounds great but.....it's always been posted in every F/S section Legion wide buyr assumes all responsiblity. this would be adding Legion accountability to the transactions. The person holding the money would of course be a senoir Legion member of course then if something goes wrong(and it will, it always does and cant be helped) then the problem lands in the lap of the Legion.

While it's a perfectly logical idea my feeling is if someone feels iffy about a transaction then they should do some research on the seller, ask around about them. This is also a point to bring up since these would be higher priced transactions they would strain someones PP account too. PP has begun reporting to the IRS this year and after a 200 transaction limit you begin to be responsible for someone elses taxes.

The base question to be answered also is would this even be something the Legion would approve of and allow as a part of the detattchment.

Rick please dont think I'm trying to shoot holes in your idea just playing devils advocate.

So your saying, the buy can't trust the seller because they don't know them but their willing to let another total stranger hold the money... :blink:

I don't know most people on here per'se, but as a MEPD officer I trust the system in place, ie; 501st honesty. When I purchased my TS, I sent $120 to Cal for 6 months and I received the armour ok. If it was from a new Legion trooper I would be a little hesitant to part with cash, but as far as the legion goes, I'm happy. As was said in a previous post, trooper helping troopers. If I did have a problem with a purchase I would hope a local trooper from the area of the seller would pay a visit on my behalf, as I would this side of the pond.

All great points....

At this point I dont think it would be a legion/detachment recognized position. It would be more of a personal thing that maybe as opposed to a single member "holding" funds it would be a few select people with the ability to do so for their fellow members.

As far as problems arising, I dont think they will. The main reason being if someone is working a scam they are not going to want to waste the time going through the DOF/mediator....If they do, well that would be pretty silly considering they wont get paid and the buyer would be refunded based on the item not shipping.

I would think that people who are in the position of having to report to the IRS would not want to participate...no need to have to pay taxes on someone elses transaction. I need to read up on paypals latest policy relating to "gift" transactions and income reporting.

Lets face it....we all trust each other and work well as a network. In most cases there are no problems within the legion and the transactions within. However, last year how many troopers paid for high priced items that never received them or waited 6 months for something that was promised in a week? Now lets look back 5 years....I bet the number would shock you...with the economy the way it is will the percentage of losses get better or worse?

Researching a member is great and really recommended....sending a local trooper to "meet up" with is always an option, but then you open a whole new line of potential problems.

Maybe this type of thing isnt the solution but then again maybe it is

Bottom line, WE need to be protected when making significant purchases within the legion.

Please keep the comments coming....EVERY VOICE IS HEARD!!!!

Its sad that something like this even needs consideration. You buy something-you pay for it or vice versa.I have heard some horror stories (on this site as well) from friends, Merch Officers, you name it. We jump headfirst into this hobby of ours for sheer love of suiting up and making a difference-not to rip people off or leave guys holding the bill on Merchandise that people grab and don't pay for. JEEZ!!!!!

Its sad that something like this even needs consideration. You buy something-you pay for it or vice versa.I have heard some horror stories (on this site as well) from friends, Merch Officers, you name it. We jump headfirst into this hobby of ours for sheer love of suiting up and making a difference-not to rip people off or leave guys holding the bill on Merchandise that people grab and don't pay for. JEEZ!!!!!

Agreed Dave....I think on here its a minor issue here and there...id just like to see something in place that could cut it down even more.

keep the thoughts coming guys....this is something that may never officially take shape. However if it does it will be completely optional between the buyer and the seller.

remember base point....its there to protect YOU as a buyer....especially in the situation where you scrape every penny to buy a set of armor that youll never receive.

Badges and stars are good for troopers that have been selling for a while.

On the flip side what about the trooper who has been on for a couple of months....life happens and they have to sell their armor? Most purchases I make are based on length of time a seller has been around....a system would also help the seller in that instance. They might not be able to sell it otherwise

but i hope it also protects the seller too rick! as 99.9% of buyers are honest,there is risk to a seller as well ( some one trying to pull a fast one ! it should protect both parties buddy !)as we sell and buy in good faith generally,there is always the odd one who is "on the make" and,sometimes at the loss and dismay of the honest seller!! :(

I like the idea of some sort of "Trusted Seller" icon or badge. Maybe something similiar to an Ebay type of thing.

I"M ALL FOR THIS. In my WWII Living History Group, we have a list of approved vendors. I know when it coms to "white suits", there are cavetas, and proviso to avoid the dearded c ease and desist order. However, I recomend the following guidlines for a Trusted seller endorsement.

1. Verified PAY PAL ADRESS

2. GOOD EBAY feed back if applicable

3. If from 'another juridiction" ..that Garrison's Command should provide endorsement.

4. A minimum of 10 succesful transactions.

5. POSITIVE and Timely communication.I'n really big on this.

6. Realistic delivery times

7. Updates on delays

8. 100% Money back garuntee

9. This is KEY : Offers merchandise keeping with the MEPD's persuit of excellence.

10. Stands by his quality.

I think these are reasonable Guidlines. Handling $$$$ is always frought with peril. I think the command staff's willingness to mediate when required is sufficient in small(under $300.00) transcations. The Holding fund is a great idea, I think it needs further review and hard criteria.

Recruit TD Vito :td:

dont want to get too much into it....really would just provide a temp hold.

quality time etc...etc...etc...that should be handled with paypal or the seller. We the CS try to stay out of any issues unless its a serious problem and has extended far beyond what a reasonable time frame would be. When making purchases I would always suggest getting the complete details up front...shipping times, build times, any additional fees etc...etc...etc...If that timeline isnt met then you can start the next steps in the process.

I know we tend to expect people to handle business affairs as we do but unfortunately that is not always the case.

Im personally involved in an issue that I hope turns out as it was promised but the seller hasnt shipped the item and its been over a month. hopefully its just real life getting in the way and will be resolved soon. If not....im going on a road trip :)