WoodChuck finds new methof for building props.

After watching this, I realized how ancient my method of prop building has become.

Only problem with 3D printed parts is that they are relatively weak.

however, they are great for making molds to cast off of.

Wonder how much that wrench costs?????

One of our subcontracting companies has one of these and they charge something like $500/hr to make parts. So its probably like a $1000 plastic wrench.

Most 3D printing is charged by volume of print material. By the cc as it were. It works out to around $2 per cc. Now before you say "holy cow that's cheap" it actually isn't very when you consider how small 1cc actually is. Something the size of an iPhone will cost around $150 to prototype and most companies will have a minimum of around double that.

You can buy a reasonably sized 3D printer for around $15 to 20k that you can literally hook up to your PC via USB like a regular inkjet.

I'll just leave this here, Maker Bot (it actually prints with ABS plastic, basically same material Authentic Props and Some ATA kits are made from.)

Stuff printed is not the strongest, however; it would allow you to make prototype to base your mold on quick.