Radar Dish

TD-1536

Just wanted to post some pics of my finished radar dish and explain how it can be duplicated.

Essentially, it's a two-part Tupperware pop-top from a two quart pitcher (Vintage 70's Tupperware). The main part has been painted white... I still have some reservations as to if the originals were painted white, or left the slightly transparent plastic color. Anyway, I noticed that from screen shots, there was an additional black lip that needed to be duplicated because the Tupperware lid does not have this. I made this additional lip by custom cutting a piece of .60 HIPS and gluing it to back of the Tupperware lid, then painting the back piece black. It had to be cut in half in order to fit around the push-button/post thing. Once the two halves were assembled, I used a two inch bolt to secure it to a rounded nut that's visible in the center. The nut was also painted white.

Posted Image

Posted Image

hi, i don´t believe there was another radar dish used.

look:

Posted Image

@ TD-1536

i also think that at least some of the tupperware radar dishes were NOT painted white. maybe there were also some hero or stunt backpacks.

look:

Posted Image

Hi,

I think RocKo is right. What looks like a five-star pattern is just dirt.

To archieve the semi-transparent look I made a mold with silicone RTV and cast it with epoxy. Here are a pic of the first one I've made...

Posted Image

TK-607

Impressive, I'll have to do that for my vintage tupperware lid. The application looks spot on. Possibly, the cloudy-clear part of the lid was left alone, and the actual topper was that old light tan tupperware color. I painted mine white, but the added backer is something I previously missed.

Looks better then what I had to use, a sherbert container lid!!LOL I search all the junk stores in town looking for a dumb tupperware lid and couldn't find one!! The lid I used looks ok but I am sooo picky I want it to look better more movie correct

But hey that looks real good, I like it, good job!!!

Katt

Also, some of the tupperware lids have a trapezoid shape/opening on one side, I think it was to pour with the lid shut. This will make it look different in the pictures.

if you want to find one eBay is your friend

Yes indeed.

The good old Tupperware pitcher lid! I was scanning the "move-along" photo (on my desk top) and I must say that the radar dishes may indeed be "unpainted" Tupperware pitcher lids. If you look real close they do appear transparent - just like the ones I had to wrestle away from those garage-sale old ladies. Geez, they're mean!

Guns

ePS: On a totally unrelated subject: Hey Mike, congratulations there Mr. Sergeant-at-Arms!

Ha ha ha I had this feeling I should go to the thrift stores today and look for one, guess what? When I was about to give up I noticed another area they had, that had a whole bunch of pitchers and pots, to my surprise there was this ugly yellow pitcher with this wonder lid on it!!! I was so excited and better yet it was a whole 99 cents!!!! Time to toss out that dumb sherbert lid and put the right one on!!!! I'll post pics of my pack when I get it all done. It was done in october, but I just paint the whole thing black so I could use it at Halloween, so now I am taking my time and detailing it to make it look better.

Katt

Ha ha ha I had this feeling I should go to the thrift stores today and look for one, guess what? When I was about to give up I noticed another area they had, that had a whole bunch of pitchers and pots, to my surprise there was this ugly yellow pitcher with this wonder lid on it!!! I was so excited and better yet it was a whole 99 cents!!!! Time to toss out that dumb sherbert lid and put the right one on!!!! I'll post pics of my pack when I get it all done. It was done in october, but I just paint the whole thing black so I could use it at Halloween, so now I am taking my time and detailing it to make it look better.

Katt

Ain't that a great feeling? To find old junk like that, but is like opening a Xmas present. The thrill of the hunt for junk.

Can someone post the dimensions? I'd like to take a crack at vac forming one, with the lip, and backing, but need some diameter to work from.

Inches or centemeters it does not matter.

Thanks

Jim

Mine is 5.25in wide.

Ain't that a great feeling? To find old junk like that, but is like opening a Xmas present. The thrill of the hunt for junk.

Yea I am too much of a junk store nut! But people tend to give you odd looks because so are so excited about finding a ugly yellow tupperware pitcher or an odd piece of something. LOL

Katt

Good on you Katt! Garage sales and Goodwill stores - just like mana from heaven.

Guns

belive it or not hehe, I was helping my mom in the kitchen and I found a very very old tupperware can, just like the one we use

I have searched for it everywhere without finding one, and voila! I have already one.... the downside was that my mom now that she find it, she is using it and I can get it until she trow it away so I´ll have to wait for....

Well, I got my radar dish from E-bay and it looks like it was the right one:

Posted Image

I pulled it apart and filled it with Resin then pulled out the resin and made an MDF backer to make the mold stick up a little higher:

Posted Image

I then cut a piece of MDF 1/8 of an inch diamiter larger circle

Posted Image

Threw them both on the vac table and painted the smooth disk black

Posted Image

put them together and was able to make this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unfortainatly I don't think I could make them for cheaper than you could buy the originals. I may put out a few on E-bay though I'd need to get about $25 to make them worth while.