Redoing my TD

TK6237

Thanks again for your comments! Makes me real happy I decided to roll up my sleeves, wipe all the old weathering off and start fresh.

Only thing I would perhaps do differently next time (and there probably will be a next time, now that I've thought of this...), is to give the suit a coat of really, really thinned down acrylic black paint; just enough to dull the shine of the plastic, and make sure there are no really white spots. And then start with the pigments and the hairspray, once the paint had dried.

Can I ask what mods you have done to strengthen it?

Yeah, I glued thin strips of ABS plastic (using scraps I had lying around) to the inside of the return edges with copious amounts of E6000. The chest, back and ab plate, along with the area around the groin and the top of the thighs are the spots with the most cracks on my armor. Fair guess to say those are the parts rubbing and scraping up against each other when I walk.

Also, the ammo pack on the right thigh has broken off in half, twice, and the belt looks like it's just about ready to break as well. I'm thinking of reinforcing these areas with fabric tape (the type you use for sports injuries) soaked in super glue or E6000. It's a tip I picked up from someone, but I've never tried it myself, so I'm gonna do a test on some plastic scraps first. I'll let you know how out goes!

Thanks again for your comments! Makes me real happy I decided to roll up my sleeves, wipe all the old weathering off and start fresh.

Only thing I would perhaps do differently next time (and there probably will be a next time, now that I've thought of this...), is to give the suit a coat of really, really thinned down acrylic black paint; just enough to dull the shine of the plastic, and make sure there are no really white spots. And then start with the pigments and the hairspray, once the paint had dried.

Yeah, I glued thin strips of ABS plastic (using scraps I had lying around) to the inside of the return edges with copious amounts of E6000. The chest, back and ab plate, along with the area around the groin and the top of the thighs are the spots with the most cracks on my armor. Fair guess to say those are the parts rubbing and scraping up against each other when I walk.

Also, the ammo pack on the right thigh has broken off in half, twice, and the belt looks like it's just about ready to break as well. I'm thinking of reinforcing these areas with fabric tape (the type you use for sports injuries) soaked in super glue or E6000. It's a tip I picked up from someone, but I've never tried it myself, so I'm gonna do a test on some plastic scraps first. I'll let you know how out goes!

Rather than use E6000 for the repair i would recommend using plastic weld with some ABS backing strips. There are 2 reasons for this. 1) The E6000 is flexible, and so any repaired areas it is used on will still be able to flex and crack further. Using fabric tape just makes this issue worse. 2) Plastic weld forms a much harder bond and will cause some bonding within the crack which will reduce stress along the crack's length, reducing the risk of further cracking.

Rather than use E6000 for the repair i would recommend using plastic weld with some ABS backing strips.

Thanks for the tip! I actually do have a can of plastic weld here somewhere...But unfortunately, I´m fresh out of ABS scraps. Will other types of plastic do? Like, say, zip-ties? Or am I better off cutting up another white, styrene wash bucket?

Also, I found some more photos, taken with a decent camera. The photographer is Garrison mate and fellow sandtrooper, TD-7350. The troop was for "Norway´s Got Talent", the same type of talent show known from the UK and the US. Our job was to set the mood for a kid that did a style of dance called "popping". Here´s his performance (we make our entrance around the 01:10 mark) on YOUTUBE. The pictures taken by TD-7350 can be found HERE. I´ve got the T-21, TD-7350 is swinging the DLT-19.