Redoing my TD

TK6237

After refining my hairspray-and-pigments technique on my TS, I´ve wanted to redo my TD. This weekend, I decided it was time.

Here´s what it used to look like:

Posted Image

...It was just way too "spotty", almost like a camouflage pattern, and the colors were too dark. So I wiped it all off on started fresh on Saturday. Here´s where I´m currently at:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The technique I´m using is dissolving dry pigments in liquid hairspray, applying it with a kitchen sponge, and then wiping it off with a damp cloth. I´m trying to achieve an evenly "dusted" coverage, with a few darker details. This is the result from 2-3 (thin) layers, mostly black and dark umber. I´m thinking maybe 1-2 more layers (light oker/desert sand with a coat of light gray Fuller´s Earth on top) will do the trick. I´m using pigments from MIG Productions, mostly "Russian Earth", "African Earth", "Gulf War Sand", and black from an unknown maker. All the details of the weathering technique I´m using can be found HERE.

Comments and tips are welcome!

Hey Mads...that looks really better than before :duim:

I'm particularly interested in the technic of your weathering ^_^

Cheers...

Edit: I've just read your threat ... it's simple awesome ;)

The gloss of the armour, is that the effect of the hair spray?!

Thanks for the comments!

@DarthChridan: Yeah, the hairspray will make the armor slightly glossy right away, but the gloss will wear off quickly. Also, this is a TM HIPS suit, so it´s really not as shiny as it might appear in these pictures. The one spot on the chest is from direct midday sunlight.

The things I really like about this weathering method, is that it´s quick, reasonably clean, and economic on the pigments. Also, it´s a lot easier to control both color and opacity by adjusting the amount of pigment VS hairspray before adding it to the suit, and in addition to that, you can mix different pigments to get just the right color.

Working on the thighs and shins now!

Thanks for the comments!

@DarthChridan: Yeah, the hairspray will make the armor slightly glossy right away, but the gloss will wear off quickly. Also, this is a TM HIPS suit, so it´s really not as shiny as it might appear in these pictures. The one spot on the chest is from direct midday sunlight.

The things I really like about this weathering method, is that it´s quick, reasonably clean, and economic on the pigments. Also, it´s a lot easier to control both color and opacity by adjusting the amount of pigment VS hairspray before adding it to the suit, and in addition to that, you can mix different pigments to get just the right color.

Working on the thighs and shins now!

Ah ok...latest where the first big rain comes :lol:

And how would it be, if the whole effect sealed with a satin finish clear coat ... but not a full spray pass, rather across the object fog?!?!(or fogging....i hope you understand what i mean ;):P ...i don't know a suitable word for it :rolleyes: )

Another question....what for a pigment/paint have you used?...acrylic water-based paints?!?!(as example i used these paints)

Thanks for the cool tip :duim:

Cheers...

@DarthChridan: I usually just seal it with a couple of coats of hairspray. It stays on there pretty good; I haven´t tested it in a solid rainstorm yet, but I have been out in a light drizzle without any damage to the weathering. I had to scrub pretty hard to clean off my previous weathering attempt, which was done using the exact same materials as I´m using now. I´ve also weathered a TS this way, which I trooped in for the better part of a day around the snowy wastes of Hoth (or Finse, as we call it). I spent quite a lot of time running around in the snow, but all the weathering is still there.

I believe "misting" is the word you´re looking for. If you would want to make dead sure that the weathering stayed on there, misting the suit with some clear coat would probably work really well. I would, however, test it on a weathered piece of plastic first, just to make sure.

I use dry pigments from Mig Productions. The hairspray is called Clynol Ultra Strong, but I think any liquid hairspray will do, as long as it´s sticky enough.

I fill a tea plate or a small bowl with about a spoonful or two of hairspray, and then add just a tiny, tiny, tiny pinch of pigment(s). I mix it up with the hairspray, and when I think it has the right color, soak up a small amount with the sponge, and start dabbing the sponge on the armor piece. The important part is to keep dabbing at it until the hairspray starts to dry up and gets sticky; this is how you get a sand-like texture. When the hairspray is all dried up, I wet the sponge again and start with the next area. I only do about 1/2 a bicep or a shoulder bell, or say 1/4 of a thigh in one pass. Once the entire part is covered in hairspray and pigment mix, I let it dry for 15-20 minutes before I hit it with the damp cloth.

...And thanks again for all your comments, much appreciated!

I believe "misting" is the word you´re looking for.

Haha :lol: ...thanks...i've not found this word :rolleyes:

Thanks again for these great tips :)

I believe to you that this was a dirty job, to clean off the old weathering :P

Cheers...

So, I finished my weathering (for now, anyways) and got some pictures taken by a friend of mine with a decent camera. I´m still waiting on the pics, but in the meantime, I found this, taken at the May 17th Norwegian Constitution Day parade by a bystander:

Posted Image

Found some moving pictures from the parade as well,

, and even a TV spot, HERE.

And here´s a closeup of the helmet I shot with my mobile cam (sorry about the red tint, stupid camera light):

Posted Image

...More (and better) pics to follow.

Yeah, next on the list is switching for a better shoulder pouch. I´ll be working on my canvas 3+1 this weekend.

@DarthChridan: Thanks man! The armor is one of the older HIPS TMs, built by Rolf/TD-252, modified by me. Being HIPS, it has received quite a few cracks, which is one of the reasons I can´t use the TM helmet, sadly. The "stalk" on one of the ears is nearly broken off, and there´s a huge split down one of the tubes, in addition to a few minor cracks all over. However, the suit is a beautiful bony white, which works great for a TD, and the weathering helps the whiter AP helmet blend nicely with the suit.

@DarthChridan: Thanks man! The armor is one of the older HIPS TMs, built by Rolf/TD-252, modified by me. Being HIPS, it has received quite a few cracks, which is one of the reasons I can´t use the TM helmet, sadly. The "stalk" on one of the ears is nearly broken off, and there´s a huge split down one of the tubes, in addition to a few minor cracks all over. However, the suit is a beautiful bony white, which works great for a TD, and the weathering helps the whiter AP helmet blend nicely with the suit.

Huuu :P then it is indeed time for an upgrade :lol:

HIPS is not really the best material...that's true :huh: ...i've the new 1mm TM armor...and i can say" Wooaaahh, what an awesome stormtrooper kit/material. My current TD is also HIPS, i'm going to sell him probably....it comes again a TM in my house :D

Best wishes from here...

Dan

Thanks again for the comments!

@DarthChridan: I´ll probably troop with the HIPS TM until it´s beyond repair, which hopefully, considering the repairs and the mods I´ve done to it to strengthen it, will be at least a few more years. I am however, thinking about getting a second, brand new ABS TM to build a TK. We´ve got a few of those in the Garrison, and they look stunning!

@Sandman Tigui: Thanks, I´m getting there! Still need to finish that backpack...

@DarthChridan: I´ll probably troop with the HIPS TM until it´s beyond repair, which hopefully, considering the repairs and the mods I´ve done to it to strengthen it, will be at least a few more years. I am however, thinking about getting a second, brand new ABS TM to build a TK. We´ve got a few of those in the Garrison, and they look stunning!

Hehehe...you right...it's like with the car, it will run until it falls apart :lol:

Couple of more pictures, taken with a decent camera this time.

Indoor, artificial lighting:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Outdoors, partly cloudy:

Posted Image

Posted Image

...I´m fairly happy with it, although I think I will darken some areas, or give it a top coat of Fuller´s earth to further dull the shine of the plastic.

Also, I need to get rid of the CABoots.

• 4 weeks later...

...considering the repairs and the mods I´ve done to it to strengthen it, will be at least a few more years...

Can I ask what mods you have done to strengthen it? I just purchased a used TE Sandtrooper and I'm waiting to receive it. I have only ever trooped in ABS, and am kind of nervous not knowing what to expect with HIPS. Any way I can make it more durable, I will.