Backpack idiot

sandtrooper

I'm throwing out a general question on backpack building for a complete newb.

I don't have any of the tools I've read that are needed such as dremel, rivet gun, etc or the parts that make up a pack. I also don't know how easy it is to build/destroy a pack due to lack of skill.

Because of this would I be better off buying a completed pack or just go for it in building one? The rub is I would like to have two or three different packs, but will have a limited budget for the next several years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

A lot will depend on what kit you buy and how much of the prework is done. When I put a kit together you can pretty much assemble it with a drill and some screws. Assembled is great but parts could be damaged in shipping or on a troop anyway so becoming familiar with how its put together from the start could help if a problem arises down the road.

That is a true Zen statement

Yes Zen master :lol:

Hey Rick,

What parts do you include in your kits? Is the frame assembled already? Thanks.

Hey Pat,

a german mate has the pack from Rick, and it only needs to be installed the bee stinger and the wet wipes bottle( at the lower seed tray)

...i think not incl is the mortar tube(but rick can tell you exactly)...on the pics it look's very cool ... in a couple of weeks i see the pack live :)

Cheers...

I was completely nervous about my pack, too. Then one day I just decided to go for it. It took a few months and LOTS of searching through the garage, attic, my parents attic, and many thrift stores. I started with the radio and built 1 small part at a time, and now I have a pack that gets compliments every time I wear it. People don't believe it when I tell them what I made it out of, and it was less than $50 total. (thread is the "so much fun" thread)

As for the tools- the 2 most used tools I have are a dremel and rivet gun. They are cheap and IMO completely necessary for prop building. Go get yourself some and start playing!

Yes Zen master :lol:

Hey Pat,

a german mate has the pack from Rick, and it only needs to be installed the bee stinger and the wet wipes bottle( at the lower seed tray)

...i think not incl is the mortar tube(but rick can tell you exactly)...on the pics it look's very cool ... in a couple of weeks i see the pack live :)

Cheers...

Thats correct, i dont build them with the mortar tube anymore....cost too much extra for the shipping and people can usually do them on their end for under $10.00 (shipping adds about $16.00)and it also gives a trooper that they had a hand in the build.

there are a lot of options on packs that you can do....just will depend on how accurate you want to go and whether it will qualify for Police/SWAT officer status.

I have a "starter" kit that I offer....its got Gordons Cistern, My latest version radio, an older style frame assembly, older version seed trays, vent pipe, tool box, and middle top canister assembly. its my $99.00 special + shipping (ASSEMBLY REQUIRED)

Greg, did you build your frame from scratch?

no.I found an old aluminum framed one and made it work.

I'm telling you... I REALLY wasn't looking forward to building a pack. It all looked so complicated. Once I got started, though, it became something I looked forward to doing every day. I didn't worry about WHEN it would be done, and didn't set any timeframe for myself. It was just a "work on it when I have time" thing and I love it so much more than if I were to buy one.

I wasn't going for screen accurate, but that would be easy enough to do. I wanted to make some special modifications to the appearance while still maintaining the basics. It would have actually been easier to do screen accurate now that I think of it!

Thats correct, i dont build them with the mortar tube anymore....cost too much extra for the shipping and people can usually do them on their end for under $10.00 (shipping adds about $16.00)and it also gives a trooper that they had a hand in the build.

there are a lot of options on packs that you can do....just will depend on how accurate you want to go and whether it will qualify for Police/SWAT officer status.

I have a "starter" kit that I offer....its got Gordons Cistern, My latest version radio, an older style frame assembly, older version seed trays, vent pipe, tool box, and middle top canister assembly. its my $99.00 special + shipping (ASSEMBLY REQUIRED)

...and that's an absolutely great offer ;):duim:

You can TOTALLY do it bro!

Just get in and do it... and Rick's kits are top notch! (So are all of them for that matter.)

I will say I spent far more time getting my pack together than I did my armor.

But it's worth it!

I love my pack!! B)