How to: make a "Screen Accurate" Pack #5 filter

pandatrooper

I recently built this for a pack commission customer. I assembled the pack based on parts he sent, but I felt the filter among other parts needed to be upgraded. Nothing leaves my shop until I am happy with it! :)

The filter is a component that a few people have built, but I don't think that the subtle details have been captured. Until now... :D

------------------

Start off with a PVC pipe of cylinder of appropriate size. This particular one is a section of 3" PVC pipe. The length should be just slightly shorter than the OUTER height of your seed tray (seed trays can vary with size, so just eyeball this using reference pics).

Posted Image

Next, buy some faucet feed lines from a home reno store. These are hard plastic pipes designed to attach a water line to your sink. I bought some longer ones and was able to cut them into 3 sections, thereby reducing the need to buy tons of these.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cut the ends at a 45 degree angle using a small mitre box and a hobby saw. Make sure to cut both ends at 45 degrees so that the angles match up (both ends should be tapered on the same side. The tip to tip length should be the exact same length as the PVC pipe section. Repeat this for all the every piece of faucet line. Sand the ends and surface to remove burrs and promote adhesion.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You don't need so many to running all the way around the PVC pipe, you can leave about 2-3" open where the PVC pipe will attach to your seed tray. On mine, I used cut about 13 sections of faucet line based on the spacing (see next step.)

Draw a PERFECT vertical line along the PVC pipe. This is critical. The best way to do this is lay the pipe on a flat surface, and place a ruler on the surface as well, with one edge touching the pipe. Use a pencil to scribe a line. Draw several lines along the pipe for REFERENCE only. These will keep the faucet lines parallel when you glue them, but not spaced. There is another trick for that. :)

Posted Image

Glue the first section of faucet line in place, using one of the pencil lines as guide to keep it straight. I used hot glue. Sand the surface of the PVC pipe before gluing to promote adhesion. Make sure the tapered 45 degree end is facing OUTWARDS.

Posted Image

Use a space of some kind to position the next faucet line. I used a thick screwdriver. Using a faucet line is too thick, a thicker pen or pencil could works too, but it must be straight / parallel.

Posted Image

Place the screwdriver against the first faucet line, and run a bead of glue next to it, and press the next line in place. Keep the tension tight to ensure good spacing (important if you don't want it to look crooked / wonky). Repeat this for all the other faucet lines, again you can leave a gap of about 2-3" on the bottom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Buy some black felt material (thin craft kind) from a hobby or fabric store. This will replicate the filter material. Cut a section the height of the PVC pipe. The length should be twice as long as the circumference of the PVC pipe.

Posted Image

Run a bead of hot glue between 2 of the faucet lines, on the outer face of the filter. You are starting with the center or middle faucet line (in my example, between line 7 and 8. This ensures there will be enough material to cover the lines with no gaps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You need to work quickly. Lay the felt down and keep it square to the filter. Press the felt into the hot glue so that it bonds to the channel between the 2 faucet lines. repeat this process maintaining pressure / tension on the felt, so that it does not become baggy and loose. I used a paint stir stick to press the felt into the hot glue each time.

Posted Image

When you have glued every channel down, trim the end of the felt, so that either wraps under the bottom the filter (where it mounts to the seed tray) or trim this off and paint the underside black. It's up to you.

Posted Image

Using a SHARP hobby blade, trim off the felt flush with the 45 degree edges you cut into the faucet lines. Repeat this on each line.

Posted Image

If you have fuzz / loose felt on the ends, you can torch them quickly with a lighter to seal the fabric.

Posted Image

Almost done!

Posted Image

Glue the end caps in place. You can use plastic lids or flat cut styrene. Paint the caps black, as well as the ends of the faucet lines. Make sure to get paint deep into the ends of the faucet lines. I used flat black here.

Posted Image

Install it on the seed trays (I simply use a rivet gun: drill holes through the seed trays and pack and rivet it in place. For accurate placement, look at reference pictures. The filter should not be aligned with the tray, it should skewed at about 11 o'clock. Make sure to weather it too!

Posted Image

Now go out and knock on some doors, troopers! :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...