Another PVC E-11 update 1-18-06

jimbo890

By all things holy - that's beautiful! If you were to sell such an artifact what would it go for?

Reason I ask is I have a beautiful resin job, but it's very fragile to troop with / breaks easily.

Awesome Jim,really great work going on there mate

Please explain how you weathered those scopes,they look so real!

I have 3 blasters I need to repaint and weather,and you've done such a terrific job on yours I want to make a start on mine.I have an ANH E-11,ROTJ E-11 and a Rexim Favor/short range stormtrooper pistol.They should keep me busy for a while

-Paul.

Hey Paul! Good to see you here in the sand box! Thanks for the kind words!

Ah, the weathering. Hands down my favorite part of the whole build. Don't get me wrong, I dig all aspects of making these things, but the weathering is the part I get the biggest kick from.

First, the paint. I use a coat of Krylon sandable gray primer. I let that dry for a while, then a top coat of krylon Semi-flat Black.

That drys for several hours, then I use Testor's Dull Aluminum scale model paint for the worn metal edges. The brush I use is a really good small acrylic painter's brush, a 'flat' that is about a 1cm in width, pretty soft. I take a paper towel, dip the brush in the paint, and rub off 70% of the paint from the brush with the paper towel. Then I hit the edges and areas that seem to get a lot of wear. As the paint comes off the brush, the silver look gets more and more faint, so I have to add more and more pressure. Finally about 90% of the paint is gone, and I'm working the brush like a mad-man . I try to get all the parts thats suppose to be metal, leaving the grip and T-rails alone. The paint will come off the brush naturally in the high wear areas.

The scope, I use Testor's Model Master's Gold paint. It's suppose to be brass, but the brass look copper to me.

Dry brush it on same as the gun wear. Let this dry for a few minutes. Then, I get a fresh brush, an oil painting brush with really stiff bristles, and dip that into some Testor's air brush thinner. Then lightly scrub the whole scope, lifting the gold paint off just a bit. If all goes well, you can then dab the scope with a paper towel, and flatten out the thinned spots. This gives that really worn brass look.

Thats it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...