Grey color question and other assorted things...

TD-1536

I posted this over at the RPF, but no one's giving up any info... why is something as basic as a Sandtrooper back pack remain so elusive and tight-lipped!? I can't get info from anyone except TE. I promise when I get mine done, I'm going to make a parts list with origins on everything. There needs to be more info out there...

Now..

What's the exact color used for the lower pans and bottles? It looks like a blue-ish grey to me... not the typical grey colors used on Stormtrooper helmet accents.

Also, I have an Alvin Ice Tube tube to use for the side tube, but it looks a little too thick to my eye and the end caps are way off in accuracy. Anyone have a lead on the actual one used? I know PVC could work, but PVC is also **** heavy.

Any leads on the 'oil can' thing at the bottom... and the ribbed item in the following picture. I've asked the guys making the new MDK kit if they would sell individual parts and got a firm 'no', so I'm hunting down original items or manufactured replicas.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Hey mike,

I too am very interested!!as you learn new info please keep us informed.

Well one idea i got from a friend for the end caps on the tube is to use the end caps from the thermal detonator you get with your armor.I am going to do this and hopefully get some pics up.

As for the blue i thought like a flat slate blue was used.Have you used this color and does it not mactch the movie backs?

I am curious about the filter looking device on the pack too.Do you have any idea?

I will try and help out as much as i can!!

What about the frame?what do you use?Alice frame?does anyone have an extra older alice frame i could buy from them?

Rob

The white cap on the black side-tube is from the thermal detonator, but if you're going for screen accuracy, avoid the FX one.

The main pack frame is not a Alice Pack frame (as originally thought), unless it's another design of Alice frame that I can't seem to locate. The screen used one has a bend/arc in the middle and a 'foot' that extends at the bottom below the main box. Typical Alice Pack frames do not have this 'foot' and have the bend towards the top.

The TE pack kit includes a correct frame, but it's custom made and not from an original pack or made of hollow aluminum (like a Alice Pack frame), best I can surmise. However, it works fine.

TK 409 has a tutorial on how to make custom "hardware" backpacks, but I surmise that you two are both looking to make screen-acurate packs. So, the only help that is really there is in one of the diagrams, he verifies that it is infact slate blue, NOT gray. If you guys have a certain site that you are using as a tutorial, I would love the info because, while a "hardware" pack fits my budget, I would love to eventually have a screen-acurate pack or an MDK.

First time i saw the td packs i really wanted a pack to where someone thinks man that guy looks like he just walked off the set.

I am currently building a pack and i see where mike is comming from there are somethings that just don't look right.

Does anyone have one of braks cd's?maybe he would know something we don't?

i have Brak´s cd and there is no specific information about the back packs on it. i think his personal backpack was made by GINO and he is not doing them anymore.

i will try to contact GINO for further information as soon as possible...

i will report then...

I just took another look at the Brak's CD. It just has some reference pictures (of both fan made and screen caps), no actual tutorials or parts lists. There is one pic that shows the deminsions of one of the backpacks and another that shows what each part of the same pack is. Dunno if that is helpful or not, but it is what it is.

I personally used the generic Wal-Mart Gray ($0.97). The oil thingy I used was actually a Coleman camping fuel funnel (again from Wal-Mart for about $0.97 - I think I see a pattern here)... I have linked to a couple of my backpack pictures before completion (I.E. Dish added, weathering, straps, etc..)

I scuplted my own dish from sculpey clay (rolled it out real thin in a pasta machine I have set aside for polymer clay), and then made the dish face, let it cool and super glued it onto a 3-1/2" PVC flat end cap I had mounted to the bottom of the tube....worked great

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/a ... IM0578.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/a ... IM0577.jpg

Here is what the funnel I used looks like: Posted Image

It's looking like I am going to end up setling for a 75%-85% screen accurate backpack as I just can't see shelling out for a MDK backpack until I've given it the old college try myself.

Here are some parts that I've found to work pretty good.

For the bottles: The cannisters which contain Lysol Wipes work well and are easier to find than water bottles with the right diameter. Cheaper too.

Posted Image

As for the bellowed sleeve which fits over the bottle I imagine some sort of dust boot off of a piece of machinery was originally used.

Posted Image

I am going with the TK409 recommended foot pumps. I managed to pick up a few of these off eBay and am happy with their appearance. I had to cut off the bottom and stretch it out a bit with a hair dryer. The top isn't as domed as the original but I'm sure that could be remedied with a cut-down Tupperware bowl or even molded with some sort of putty.

Posted Image

I'm still looking for something to replicate the rubber cup-like piece that goes between the pump and the bottle. TK409 recommends small plastic bowls (inverted) but there has to be some rubber part which is more accurate. Any ideas?

In regards to the air filters, I once read of a science supply shop that sells air filters in all shapes and sizes. Unfortunately, I don't have the link and if anyone else does please post it.

i have Brak´s cd and there is no specific information about the back packs on it. i think his personal backpack was made by GINO and he is not doing them anymore.

i will report then...

M pack was not made by Gino. I made it myself. It does have a few modified Gino parts as well as a few modified TE parts and a ton of custom made parts. As I mentioned in another thread, the closest frame I have found is a boyscout backpack frame but it too has to be modified. One of the most common problems I see with backpacks (including mine) is that they are made FAR too large. Really look at where the backpack starts and stops on the back.... It is much more compact than most think.

i will report then...

M pack was not made by Gino. I made it myself. It does have a few modified Gino parts as well as a few modified TE parts and a ton of custom made parts. As I mentioned in another thread, the closest frame I have found is a boyscout backpack frame but it too has to be modified. One of the most common problems I see with backpacks (including mine) is that they are made FAR too large. Really look at where the backpack starts and stops on the back.... It is much more compact than most think.

Thank you! You're the first person to point this out and I was starting to second guess myself on that subject. Last night as I built up the radio box and tool box, I started to 'eye' the proportions and it started to become even more apparent.

**sigh** if we only knew the exact source of those pans.

One of the most common problems I see with backpacks (including mine) is that they are made FAR too large.

Yeah, I've noticed that on mine as well. I think it comes from the size containers I used as the two large boxes, with the frame having to be big enough to accomodate them.

the tupperware cups may be really the right part.

there was something cut away from the top of the upper bottle.

i´m not sure if the curve of the tupperware cups is right. the photos shows them from a different view.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I found these. Once again some lovely vintage tupperware stuff

Posted Image

What do you think?

Cheers,

TK-607

I think those very, very close...not exact, but good enough! I recently won an ebay auction for these and will report once I get them and pair them up with everything else.

Posted Image

I also won a lot of 15 cups on eBay

Either my backpack(s) will look good or I'll get fat from all the dessert I need to eat...

Cheers,

TK-607

I bet you were the one who grabbed a set I was originally bidding one!