Glossy or satin?

TD2802

Finally got my E-11 conversion kit for my Hasbro and was wondering when it comes time to paint, is it better to use a glossy or satin finish? I checked some of the older threads and there didn't seem to be any consensus. :huh: Thanks

I used the flat black for mine on the manin body, and some satin for a few parts... afterwards I gave it a weathering/metalized job on top, trying to mimic real submachine guns.

I like it when it looks more real life gun than sci fi gun...

but thats me.

:D

Saludos

I too prefer the Flat Black.

My E-11 is flat black with a dry rubbing of silver on top to give it that metalized look. I paint and weather my pack builds the same way. The flat black gives it that dusty, sand blasted look as opposed to the shiny look.

In my opinion, satin gives a more "realistic" look, with of course a light weathering.

When you Google "Sterling l2a3", most of them seem to be in a kind of satin finish, or something between flat and satin. But glossy ? No way ! ;)

(And it depends on the armor going with it too... I guess if you ask here that the blaster will go with a TD armor, so yes, flat black should be better; damages by the sand, burnt etc... But for a TK, satin would probably look better !)

But of course,, you should paint it like you prefer B)

Great input all B) It just might boil down to each individual's preference it seems. I like the oiled metallic look of a satin finish myself but again, having been pointed out as sandies, the wear and tear of being in a harsh environment calls for a weathered treatment, so that's the route I'll go with.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some real Sterlings I have seen have the bumpy finish. This can be simulated with overspray and light coats to add texture. Not stucco, just not smooth like a glass finish.

My E11 (hasbro mod) has a textured finish. I did it cause I saw a real deactivated Sterling SMG E11 with that kind of texture.

This is what I mean (don't remember whose E11 this is btw).

Mine:

post-0-034857100 1303318935_thumb.jpg

Deactivated SMG:

post-0-031091000 1303319013_thumb.jpg

Saludos