whatcha think?

TD3306

Are you kidding me?!? With all this crap we carry around?? We'd better be specially trained!

Seriously, though, I read somewhere that the sandtroopers are good at crowds (thus the easy recognition via the pauldrons), cities, towns, dessert, and just general operations "on their own". I'd figure biker scouts and snow troopers have their own problems to be trained for.

I always had kind of figured they were all 11B (Stormtroopers and Sandtroopers), but that they had specialized training based on where they were stationed. My basis for this is the US Army. In the Army, Infantry units are stationed and trained in all sorts of environments, Desert, Jungle, Mountain, Arctic. They are all still the same Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), in this case 11B.

In the case of the fantasy world of Star Wars, the Stormtroopers seem to kind of function like that. "Stormtroopers" seem to encompass the "Infantry" and are trained and equiped depending on where they will be stationed.

From the Star Wars databank

Stormtroopers abandoned individuality in exchange for their loyalty. They are completely encased in a white armored spacesuit shell, and are armed with blaster pistols or blaster rifles. Their helmets contain comlinks for long-range communications. Officers were denoted with colored shoulder pauldrons. Specific environments called for specially trained and equipped stormtroopers, such as the snowtroopers that besieged the ice world of Hoth and the lightly-armored scout troopers that patrolled the forests of Endor.

So Sandtroopers, Bikerscouts, Snowtroopers, etc are all the same level of MOS (Infantry), they just differ in where they are stationed and how they are equiped.

For the Death Star Troopers, they probably were not "waiting" to be deployed, they were probably "permanent party" (i.e. stationed) on the Death Star for internal security. With the size of the Death Star, it could also be reasoned that their could also have been special trained contingents statinoed on the Battle Station for deployement on hostile environment worlds as need. So if the Death Star entered a system with a Desert world and wanted to send down troops, there would have have been a Battalion or more of Sandtroopers available.

Also, it is very probably that all Stormtroopers would recieve some familiarization training with the various armors so they could deploy to whatever environment needed. So while they would not be quite as effective as a unit specifically trained and equiped for say "Jungle Warfare", they would know the basics.

Anyway, this last part is all just my random musings, but Stormtroopers/Sandtroopers and the other "White Armor" do mostly seem to be only different in equipment, location and some specialized training related to where they are stationed. At the core, they are all still, just like me, 11B, Infantry"!! Hoo aahh.

Tim

Ex 11B3x (Drill Sgt)