Lightweight accurate reasonably priced lewis guns (soon)

I bought the molds for this a few weeks ago and this is the first prototype Task 15 rotocast ridged foam reinforced lewis gun out of them. I just put it together and slapped some primer on it (still drying) It looks great and the best part: 5.96lbs (2.7kg) total. I'll be offering these up for sale as I get the kits completed.

They are far more accurate and detailed then most of the wood/pvc versions seen about.

As light as the hyperfirm but cheaper!!

Stronger than the solid resin and comparable in price.

Interested and ready to buy, First run should be ready on Monday 1/30

1)avatar_man - Contacted

2)HELMET HEAD

3)TD1529

4)chuckrick

5)TD-1654 @ the disco!

6)kinrik

7) TD 8733

PS. To thwart the recaster comments I did buy these molds and the master from the original maker. While not my original work I do have full rights to reproduce them. Some may recognize it as the original maker did make and sell several of them in solid resin weighing about 25lbs.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved pictures from first post down here to help maintain the list of interested people more easily:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edit: More pictures added

All Parts layed out

Posted Image

First part. The receiver

Posted Image

Attached ribbed section of barrel

Posted Image

Should paint first, but this is the PVC section of barrel

Posted Image

The but stock is put on

Posted Image

then the business end of the barrel

Posted Image

The top of the receiver

Posted Image

This is how the site attaches

Posted Image

This is the small half circle section (not sure what it is or called)

Posted Image

I'm not exacly sure if it will be kit or complete yet. I could definatly sell them raw they are 7 large pices and 2 small detail pices. It all fits together really well and requires very little sanding. I used JB Kwik Weld to put the prototype together. Pretty much a full tube.

Here is a list of the features that this gun has:

Task 15 rotocast resin from Smooth-on for large parts. (no secrets about what it's made from)

Black tinted so scratches and scuffs wont show white. This is the thing I hate about most resin cast weapons. When trooping it is going to get scratched. A bottle of black resin tint is only about $4 and will do 10-15 guns. Why don't people use this????

small parts will be cast in black tinted resin (probably smooth cast or similar I'd rather have something stronger and not as brittle) I'd use Task 15 but it is a little thick and hard to pour into small molds.

Foam-it 15 rigid foam from smooth-on as reinforcment to insure the thin cast Task 15 is extreamly strong yet light. (This is the secret to getting it extreamlly light. Prototype was 6lbs. Production will probably less than 5)

Able to break it down in half for storage and transport. The big guns never seem to fit in my tubs. With the ability to break this one down into two halves it will be much more transportable.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'd be glad to fill in. Also any requests or ideas for how to cast or build it up. I've done a quite a bit of research and found the current matirials If anyone knows of more things or better matirials I'm always willing to listen.

I had some questions about the strenght of Task 15. Task is a high performance resin from Smooth-on that costs 2-3x as much as the regular resins most people make props from. Task 15 is special formulated to be cast from 1/16" - 1/2" thick and is not brittle the way regular resins are. It cures to something much more similar to the ABS plastic used in the building of armor. It is flexable yet still holds it's shape really well.

I just took a bad cast reciever that I had made from Task 15 and beat it on my band saw table really really hard. I then took it out in the street and threw it down the road. Only some small scuff marks. No damage. I have two videos 1.2M and 2.1M it if you'd like to see email me wwarner42@cox.net (anyone know of a place that'll host small video clips?) This stuff is strong.

Read technical information about it here:

http://smoothon.com/plastics.asp#task

Well I, for one, would definitely be interested in one of these as long as it's in my price range at the time. My homemade wood and pvc one is seriously lacking due to my limited artistic ability (I'm a construction worker, not Picasso), plus it weighs a ton. And I would probably just want the kit as that should be cheaper and still allow me some pride in assembly, weathering, etc. So keep us updated.........btw, looks freakin sweet!!!!!!

Well, I'm funding this project with Ab and Knee plate sales, so keep buying them up. The wife says I can keep going as long as I don't have to use work money to pay for this stuff. I may have to sell of some other projects. I have 2 stunt helmets, RT Mod version, that I don't think I'm ever going to get put together if anyone wants one, or two. I only want what I paid for them $200.

-Bill

Bill those looks really good and i too would love to get one. For those of you who don't have any of bill's stuff grab some he does good work!!

Let's help him out so he can help us!!!

Rob

I'm not sure what shipping would be to UK, but I am going to be trying to keep the overall cost below $275. It is a rather laborious task to make them because I don't have a rotocast machine. 7+ 20-30lbs molds held and rotated by hand for 15-20 minutes each gets tiring fast.

One thing I don't do though is take pre-orders. Once I have 2 or 3 made I'll post here with price and everything, It'll be first to come with money first served. Then I'll continue making them until I end up with 1 or 2 left. I do this in case something happens. I don't want to get peoples money for something I haven't yet made. Too many people get into trouble with that.

-Bill

I think that is one SMART kit! I love the fact you can break it down for transporting inside one's crate! I'm DEFINATELY IN for one of these babies, as you can see me in my avatar that I'm only lacking a BFG for MEPD deployment!! I have C.I.F. (Cash In Fist)

Just an update. I am creating a new mold for part of it as while casting the prototype I tore a portion of the mold. I also wanted to have the reciever and vent sections as one pice rather than two pices for strenth. I should have matrials to start on these tomorrow. I'll still have to finish up this mold but may have one or two ready for sell by the weekend.

-Bill

OK, I get yer meaning now!

Just curious, when you ship these out will there be any assembly required, other than putting the two halves together that you show in the earlier pictures and maybe weathering it?

No worries either way, just curious.

They will require some assembly. I am going to try to tint the resin enough so they don't need to be painted. All the parts I did today came out looking great. I will most likly include the plasti-weld that I have found to be the best for assembling these.

The only part that will require painting is the aproxamatly 10" of PVC pipe that covers from the ribbed section of the barrel to the tapper tords the end.

The assemlby will be amature to beginner work as all the parts seem to fit really well and should take no more than 2 hours.

Weathing will be to your own taste and I don't have a leather strap yet.

-Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for that info! Consider one of those babies SOLD!! I'll be watching this forum CLOSELY so I can snag one up. I believe I still have your PayPal account in my transaction history from the diamond sniper knee plates I got from you.

I also don't mind if you send me one that is totally disassembled, as better than half the fun for me is building and assembling this stuff anyway! Listen to me... talking like I already have one on the way... LOL!

Looking forward to POUNCING on one of these! It's the final thing I need for my MEPD deployment. :salute:

Listen to me... talking like I already have one on the way... LOL!

No need to apologize in this (replica) gun happy forum, especially when it's the *last* thing you need. Been there mate!

Bill - I think you have another hit on your hands (I'm not in the market for a Lewis, so it's not sucking up )!

Tony - you'll simply have to post pix once you have it assembled and ready to report for duty!