Why that name?

FIVE

So I've been finally watching "The Clone Wars"... and really liking it. One of the things I like a lot are the nicknames the clone troopers have. For those of you that watch it, you know exactly what I mean. They never call each other by their numbers — in fact there are episodes that talk about that very point — but, instead, by their nicknames.

I realized many of the guys on the forums have nicknames. Like "Skutch" (who I get to troop with now), "Dirty Boy", "Daetrin" and so on. Names that actually sound like characters from the Star Wars universe. Even "Rolf" sounds and looks like a trooper name to me!

When I originally signed up on my local Garrison forum I couldn't use a TK # or anything because I didn't have one... so I simply used my real name, "Noel," with the "e" removed. No'l

I always thought it looked "alien" or "sci-fi" like that. Plus, I thought then when people met me in person they would know who I was when I said my name.

The problem is a lot of people thought my name was/is "No.1"

And, people didn't know that my name was pronounced like "Joel" with an "N"... so neither worked.

Not to mention I never sign "No'l" when I sign autographs in public.

So, I started thinking tonight that maybe I should change my screen name to a nickname. Make it something that would "stick"... something cool... something I could tell kids in public, "My friends call me..."

I thought of "Roadblock," since I most often troop as the roadblock sandtrooper, "Cloud9," because I'm about to do an ESB build, "Sequel," because I liked Empire the best of all the movies, and a whole lot of others. But nothing seemed to really fit.

Then I realized... I HAVE a nickname!

It's a name that many people know me by in real life. In fact, at my first job as a character at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri everyone still calls me this when I go back to visit. It's a nickname I was given on my first trip to Australia in 1995 — and that you Aussies will recognize as such. AND it's a nickname that works, I believe, as a stormtrooper or sandtrooper nickname on a "character" level. The name is "Bluey".

"Bluey" is what Australians often call someone with red hair. And I got called it the first day I was there and it stuck. When I worked at Silver Dollar City they wanted to call me "Red" but there was already a (very popular) character there named "Red"... so I suggested "Bluey," explaining the origins of the name, and it stuck again. So I just sort of realized, "Why isn't this what I'm known as in the Legion?!?!"

I mean I have mugs, name badges, and all sorts things with "Bluey" already on it.

And for those of you who troop with me, you can start calling me "Bluey" in public... because I will answer to it!

So... that's it.

The name's "Bluey."

And yes, I probably think about this stuff way too much. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And that's why I always go by the forum name 'Smally' on every boared that I'm a member to.

I'm known as Smally by my Wife, sister, all my friends, work mates and now you guys.

And before you think "I wonder if its because he has a small ****!" well its not! it's simply because my last name is Small. :D

Welcome to the MEPD Bluey! (I feel that we have met you on here before :lol: ).

Smally.

I join the 501st 11 years ago.

I have got both ANH TK, and TD suits through the times.

But only TD suits for the last 4 years or so.

The TD have all ways been my favorite one, so i used my TD-252 on all forums as my nick name.

I like my 501st #, because it was a low #, and people could see i´m a old school member from back in the days.

Plus its easy to remember whit the only 3 numbers in, and the 252 the two numbers two times etc.

But sadly the brotherhood, and troop events fade out a bit in my garrison/Denmark.

Plus i got more and more freaky, whit getting every thing as accurate as i could.

So my hobby become more personal vs. the many FX suits in my garrison.

I guess the older you get, the deeper you go into the hobby, and maybe do not have the same time for trooping long away/weekends etc.

Plus i saw most people i know on the forums, just call me my own name Rolf, and not TD-252.

(but i still have my 501st id # TD-252 on my signature, so i still use it a little that way)

And like Nol point out, i also think it sounds a bit trooper a like, and my birth name on top of it.

I have been thinking about, what all the english talking people would think of it.

Because it might be hard to say, but for those there do not know it.

Rolf is Ralph in english.

I also call my self RolfTheWolf by friends (could also be a nice aka i guess), i like wolfs, they are a bit like troopers too on patrol.

My family have call me Rolfy, but i guess Rolf is more cool.

My buddy´s call me the Robot back in the days, because i was faster/more army a like in many ways.

I run faster, paint graffiti faster, did not need much sleep or food, my wounds heal up quick etc hahaha :P

My graffiti names are:

REZK from way back in 1985 up to now.

ENOGS from 1998 up to now.

I have been thinking about using one of those too, as my trooper name.

But decide to go for my birth name, as it was all ready known among the troop´s.

Congrats whit your new and personal alias my friend, sounds cool Bluey, i like the name as well :salute:

Move a long... move a long... :td::salute:

So... that's it.

The name's "Bluey."

Bluey it is then... And no I don't think you think about it too much... I started out with Kav, which is the start of my surname and what the wife and friends call me, but again didn't sound too scifi-y... Caomhanach is a bit more so I went for that, esp if I changed it more to Caom H'anach or something like it but the spelling is the original irish...

Congrats on the name, Noel. You need to get a blue pauldron. :lol:

Hahaha... Or maybe blue lenses in my bucket! :D

And yes, Rob... I like "Robster!"

My litmus test is to picture it being said on the Clone Wars. I know we're not clones, but if I can picture it being said in a movie or show it's a good nickname. B)

Now do we have to change all the old posts with Nol in it to Bluey?

Difficult but not impossible. B)

Haha... I suppose I could do search and replace in posts.

But nah... leave it. What's done is done. ;)

well the guys here call me "robster"what do you guys think?my buddy calls me this because there is a lobster johnson comic so he said it fits..

I like the name Robster bro, sounds bad *** cool.

Like a gangster boss name or something.

I have all ways call you Robstar, because you have all ways been a true bro to me through time.

But Robster sounds top cool i think ;)

Love it "Bluey!"

Totally can picture us walking through Mos Eisley and all the little Jawas running up to you saying "Blue-tini, Blue-tini" or chasing one of Jabbas henchmen and it coming over the radio "Bluey's got em".... But seriously I really think its sounds awesome. Its got history too so that makes it even cooler.

Oh ya, BTW....yes, you do probably think about this stuff way too much. but thats a GREAT thing :)

Love it "Bluey!"

Totally can picture us walking through Mos Eisley and all the little Jawas running up to you saying "Blue-tini, Blue-tini" or chasing one of Jabbas henchmen and it coming over the radio "Bluey's got em".... But seriously I really think its sounds awesome. Its got history too so that makes it even cooler.

Oh ya, BTW....yes, you do probably think about this stuff way too much. but thats a GREAT thing :)

:duim::duim:

Scootch is a combination of Scott - Scooter - Scotch. It's been my handle throughout my adult life and was first given to me by my bro Don Lancaster when we rode together with the B&H MC.

I rode a 1971 FLH which was my "scooter", always carried a flask full of Scotch whiskey in my leather jacket, and my name's Scotty. Pretty simple eh? :lol:

Those were the days, we were young, wild, and litteraly feared nothing. :pint1:

my name "sir david" comes from a couple of paintings i did on mine and my guitarists leather bike jackets when we did our band "holy anna" back in the early 90's !! and portrays each band member in cartoon form as medieval "warrior monks" (the order of the knights templar) along with other related stuff to me and andy on the jackets too!

"sir andrew of leicester" (guitar)

"sir christopher of quorndon" (bass)

and me, "sir david of bardon" (drums and lead vocals)

thats pretty much how it came about guys! lol!

and yeah, i got too much time on my hands brothers!!! :P

i changed myn it was Dirt what you al think? B) (be honest)

I like Grit a lot better! "Dirt" was just too obvious... and "Grit" works if you do a TK, or a Clone, or anything else. B)

Love it Noel...ahh...I mean...Bluey.

I too went through the name change thing about 6 months ago as you may recall. I was known simply as TD2557. Some of the guys in my Garrison, including my CO started calling me "Quartermaster" due to the packs, radios, armor and helmet mods I was doing for them. Also the fact that whenever someone was looking for something, no matter how obscure, I always seemed to come up with it. Needless to say, the name stuck. Now most of the Garrison has just shortened it to "Q".

Man!!!

Now I want to change my name too...

No one calls me iconoclasta_88 and even the _88 is weird for a name...

Iconoclasta has been sort of my nickname since College, but most just called me clasta, ico, plasta, plastix, and so on... but no one really calls me iconoclasta anymore...

Still... I dont think I will change my screen name since that is the name I use in every single site, community, forum, mail, etc....

And most ppl just call me Juan anyway.

So cheers bluey!

Cool name you have!

Saludos