Weight/height and armor choice.... help!

Treg

Okay I was reading a post on the white armor forums and someone close to my height and weight said AM armor would not fit. I am 127lbs and 5'11" , my original choice was the AM because of the easy build and since it will be my first, I know I could go AM but it would be a ton of trimming and I do not want to do that, so what would be another good armor type for my body specifications!

THANKS! :dance:

Yeah, you're skinny, but any armor should fit you. You got the height correct. FX would look really big. Build the suit to the proper size and pad the inside of it. In my opinion, if you built it to your skinny frame, the armor is gonna look funny. I don't see any problem at all. Better too skinny than too fat. At least you get to do the accurate side rivets without adding shims.

Man I would think the AM kit is WAY to big for you, not that you would be too short your height is ok but I am 5'9" and I had to cut quite a bit off the top of the thighs and off the bottom of the shins then reform the return edges. Plus the AM kit is made to fit larger framed troopers and at 127lbs you are pencil thin. the chest and back are going to swallow you whole. the forearms are long as well. My suggestion would be being that you are thin enough and the perfect height for a real movie size trooper then dont get the AM get a screen derived kit like TE2,AP or other.

NOTE: I have an AM kit and I love it so I am not bashing the kit, It's what I could wear based on my size.

Hey Tommy don't count out a styrene kit, so you may have to paint it, but it's hella easy to trim and warp to fit your body type. There are plenty out there to bro. FISD has a list of vendors, plus if you look around you'll find a few more reputable just not on the list types. I think prices are fairly static these days. TE2 is good, ATA is good, etc. :td:

Hey Tommy,

Welcome to the MEPD...

If this will be your first armor build, you are in a very exciting place right now!!

Choosing the right armor is not as difficult as it looks. Reading and asking is the most important thing, and you have done both. So you are already ahead of most ppl tackling this hobby for the first time.

:D

Once that has been said, I would say this:

AM armor is a nice kit, but it is specially designed for the larger troopers.

Height is something to take in consideration when choosing an armor, but also is build.

If you are thin, AM can be made to fit you, but it is for sure a lot of work that you could easily avoid by choosing a more regular size kit.

As Woody said, AM armor might be too big for you, even with the padding. Its is not only a matter of keeping the parts in place, but also to make them fit and looks good. Also, to make an AM fit a thinner trooper, a looooot of plastic would be trimmed and waisted, sometimes wasting also some details on the armor.

Yes, AM is an easier build, but other kits are not that difficult.

And, as you have seen, if you have any doubt, here are a lot of cool people willing to help. And also a few tutorials and lots of threads covering almost every single doubt you might have.

So...

Why not read info here at Noels site:

http://td8541.imperi....com/armor-101/

And at the FISD:

http://forum.whitear...showtopic=11538

Also, check Terry´s tutorial, it will give you a wider view on what you are about to get into ;)

Hope this helps.

Saludos.

I have slim build too. And while I'm happy with the way my AM kit turned out, it took twice as long as to build than my ATA to make it fit me well.

The AM comes trimmed, but it still needs to be "sized". On my AM, I modified (and this means not just trimming for size, but heating and reshaping, removing material, adding return edges, etc) the following parts to make them fit a "slim" build:

- shoulder bridges (cut narrower, reshaped)

- shoulder bells (heated, reshaped, removed lower 1", added taper, added return edge)

- chest (reshaped, trimmed bottom edge, added return, cut notches in arm pits, cut deeper neck)

- back (curved upper tabs, trimmed bottom edge, added return)

- AB / kidney (resized via heating and reshaping, removed crotch tab)

- butt (reshaped, cut every side to reduce size)

- thighs (removed top 1.25", reshaped tops, added ANH style notches, added notches in the back for clearance)

- shins (reshaped, removed lower return)

On the ATA, I didn't need to resize much at all, except modding the thigh tops, which is really optional.

Any TE derived suit will do: ATA, CAP-W, AP, T/MC, TE2.

While they are pretty much identical in size, the price & material varies. Also, some of the parts are different from each other or have been tweaked.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any of them - just pick which best suits your budget, timeframe, etc.