Weathering blues

sandtrooper

Hey Pat,

Round 2, trying a different approach. Adding a bit of the gray acrylic first, trying to give it more depth and machine look. I think this is actually a bit closer to what I'm looking for, how about you?

That looks good! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished weather job, man.

Hey Pat,

I'm up to change 3 now :blink: Ditched the gray and putting a small amount of the burnt umber in the creases and then adding a second layer of the fullers.. I think this is going to be what I'm looking for. Hopefully will finish up in a few days and send you some photos of finished product...all a work in progress :D

post-3855-033238300 1295747893_thumb.jpg

I like that much better. :) Honestly, it looks more "real" rather than 1 color dusting to me. Again, just my personal opinion. :)

Hey Panda,

Yes, I have to agree. I usually work on it a few hours and then come back the next day to see what I think about it. This last round has proven to look the best so far 2 days in a roll...I figure I better hurry and finish before I change my mind :o

Your videos have really been a great help, appreciate you posting them..

Has the patch showed up yet?

Hey Panda,

Yes, I have to agree. I usually work on it a few hours and then come back the next day to see what I think about it. This last round has proven to look the best so far 2 days in a roll...I figure I better hurry and finish before I change my mind :o

Your videos have really been a great help, appreciate you posting them..

Has the patch showed up yet?

Like the improvements, but that leg position looks painful!

Okay, I had a snow day from work today and spent some time trying my hand at weathering. This may just be a first step with fullers earth to follow. I'll decide after the armor is done and decide then. Otherwise I'm just trying to add some depth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Juan I appreciate it a lot. It was the first time I tried anything like this. I'm going to do the whole armor with the burnt umber and see how it looks when done. If it needs more I'll go back and apply either fullers earth or add another shade of acrylic.

Hey you guys did a great job!

Also don't forget the steps and timing,take notes and all until your final result,or you'll keep loosing directions like me :P

But its good you know...going back and do it again,its fun!! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I had a day off from work and got a lot done on my armor. I'm in the home stretch with only the helmet and pauldron to go, but am almost out of paint.

I used various stills from ANH as a guide, but my weathering doesn't resemble the screen armor very much. The boots especially don't look very good to me. Hopefully I didn't do a crap job on the armor as well. Hope to have my 501st application done in a week or two.

lookin good so far! I use acrylic as well. I mix raw umber and a touch of yellow ocre to get the color i wanted. i brushed it on with alot of water, let it dry and then wiped area where it would "wear". i then use the same mixture with almost no water and hit all the edges and seans creveses etc and then blot it with a paper towel till i get the effect im looking for. Sometimes i need to repeat the process sometimes not. Im happy with the results though. :)

Posted Image

lookin good so far! I use acrylic as well. I mix raw umber and a touch of yellow ocre to get the color i wanted. i brushed it on with alot of water, let it dry and then wiped area where it would "wear". i then use the same mixture with almost no water and hit all the edges and seans creveses etc and then blot it with a paper towel till i get the effect im looking for. Sometimes i need to repeat the process sometimes not. Im happy with the results though. :)

Posted Image

Man, that is some AWESOME td in an AWESOME set!

Very ANH!!!!

If I had the time, I would be building something like that for Cons in Mexico.

Saludos.