Weathering blues

sandtrooper

Hey all,

I've been looking through the various posts on completed weathering jobs and the various tutorials on paints, oily finishes, hairspray and fullers earth. Since I've never done this before I feel in over my head and don't want to screw up my armor.

I have a mental picture of what I want my armor to look like as far as weathering goes, but am not sure how to achieve it. I like the more dusty look rather than thick dirt. From pictures alone I'm not sure how apparent the weathering would look in person since flashes tend to wash colors out.

I did find a store here that sells artist acrylic paints so may be able to start weathering sooner that I thought.

Any advice?

Jump in!

Start on a leg, or something that won't be noticeable if you hate it — though I started on my bucket.

And don't worry... you can't ruin it!

You can always wipe it off and start again.

Paints are very easy. Water based = good/easy to use.

Just do it! B)

I used pigment paints, just took a deep breath, then went crazy!

If I was unhappy with how a peice of armour turned out I just cleaned it off with a damp cloth.

You'll be surprised just how easy it is to do!

Smally.

If you like the dusty look, just use one "pass" of paint. This doesn't mean using one color straight out of the tube. I would start with something like 60% burnt umber mixed with 40% grey, and give that a try. If it's too brown or too grey, change the proportions of the mixture.

I wanted that same look for mine ( the dusty/sandy approach) not so much clumps of dirt. I used only fullers earth and I am really happy with how it turned out. It was time consuming but not difficult. Starting was the hardest part. For some reason I was worried about ruining the whole thing even though I knew it would come off easily. Like Nol said pick up a piece and go!

try to work with acrylic-bases colors as already said. Try one piece (forearm) and choose 2 colurs. Start with one of them, wipe away 90% again. Then do the same with the next colour again. And don´t overdo it. As the others already said: Even if you don´t like the result, nothing is broken, you can (usually) clean and wipe it away ageain.

Mike

Hey Bud,

I am new and I found on youtube a weathering tutorial, I have been trying to find it around here and haven't yet. Heck I think it was done by Pandatrooper. Anyway with the acrylic paint it was as easy as wipe on wipe off and after you kinda mixed your colors and found the shade or pigment look you want test it out on a piece of spare plastic and see how it looks. On the white background the pigment will be the color it will be on the armor, and you may want to change color proportions, depending of course on what you want. I just saw some photos of MightyTanks armor after using the acrylic paint and weathering with a greenish color. Again using a wipe on wipe off method and it looks awesome.

I thought the link was under officer training but I checked and it was not, if it was Pandatroopers link he may give it to you. It was very clear and easy to follow, and when they say it is as easy as wiping on then off it is.

Salud

Ecoli

Hey Pat,

I'm in the same boat as you.... but I finally dove in tonight. I picked up the acrylics a few weeks ago. I noticed on another thread a few weeks back that the fullers earth looked really sharp to me and certain sandtrooper on here hooked me up with a small bottle.

I started off tonight trying the acrylics (burnt umber) on one of my calves. No matter how light I tried to apply it, it keep coming out too dark for me...I just couldn't in vision this color in the desert. Finally after cleaning and reapplying for a third time I tried the other side with fullers earth...WOW, GAME OVER for me. That is the look I'm looking for. It does a great job of dulling out the white shine and the way you apply is just too easy, spray with hair spray and lightly dust the stuff on, and then lightly wipe and rub what you want off. Easy to come back and reapply in certain areas to give it that built up look if you want.

I'm pretty much following panda troopers videos as I really like his approach and reasoning on how it should look, just using fullers earth instead. The stuff even feels real on there, sandy and gritty. I actually got both boots, calves and thighs completed tonight, the best part is I'm no longer dreading it now that I know how simple and easy it is. I will try to shoot a few pics of mine tomorrow and upload them so that you can see the look mine is taking. It might not be perfect but I like it and that is what matters in the end. :D

Hey Mike,

I had to order the acrylic paints I'm going to try and they haven't arrived yet, so no progress. I'm going to try a mixture of burnt umber and gray like Pandatrooper suggested and see what happens. I am intrigued by the fuller earth method though. I'm looking forward to seeing you pictures.

Hey Pat,

Here is what I have so far. I'm open to suggestions by any and all if you guys think I need to make changes or do more or less on this. I've still got the upper to do and will probably work on it over the weekend.

post-3855-053075400 1295557537_thumb.jpg

My only feedback is that it's a bit "light", and it's consistently one tone. I think you could double down the layers in a few areas to give it some more depth. When painting, it's always best to work from dark to light.

It looks a bit greenish too, but I'm not sure if that's the lighting?

I chose not to go with the fullers earth / hairspray method because of where I live. It rains and lot. Rain and hairspray don't mix. :)

That's the lighting. It's basically the color of... well... sand.

Couple layers of clear coat solve the rain problem.

Everyone has their approach to weathering but I don't think there is one "right" way to do it. It's all about preference. What fun would it be if we all did the same thing and all looked the same?

Hey Panda,

Was hoping to land you in on this topic, lol. I agree that on my pictures they do look a bit light in the photos, I was amazed at that after I took them. It really does look a bit darker in person, however I do think that I still want more. I do want some of that depth and was wondering if maybe I should have tried a light coat of the gray first and then wiped it off? Wondering if that would give me more of a machine/mechanical look?

I guess it is too late now as the lower half has already been done with FE first. I could do the upper that way but I don't want to end up with a two tone suit :o

So overall you like the FE but don't use it because of the rain? What about adding the layer of clear coat on top?

This is my first time at weathering so I'm all ears when it comes to getting the best results.

Hey Pat,

Round 2, trying a different approach. Adding a bit of the gray acrylic first, trying to give it more depth and machine look. I think this is actually a bit closer to what I'm looking for, how about you?

post-3855-003579600 1295588177_thumb.jpg

that's seems all good, but i think the real effect weathering is really done when you can see all the suit.

Sometimes a stain on a piece makes it really good, but once all the armor is smeared in the same way the desired effect is not always what we wanted, Why is we see a lot of guys who repeat the weathering of their armor after some time.

you must to try to know ;) but that's looks good.

Thanks Greg,

How did you do your weathering?

I did the "Dirty/Oily" style and LOVE the way it finally came out. I was semi-addicted to weathering. I might have to add some sand to it now...

Once my pack is done, that is..