Zenix/Crashmann radio build

iconoclasta_88

So, I received my Zenix/Crashamann radio kit a few weeks ago. I must say it is an amazing kit. All the details on the face plate are amazing, and the knobs are just awesome... Including the big knob from Voodoo. :D

I also got some mechanical parts from Quartermaster to make the knobs turn and click. Thx a lot John!

So... after dealing with some other projects like "work" and "family", I finally had time to work a bit on my radio.

First thing was to make the box fit. I cut the box parts to the size I wanted them to be, and proceed to put them together with E6000. I used some spare plastic to reinforce the angles where the two sides met. I end up with a well formed box. Finally, to give it a bit more strength, I used hot glue all along the angles and corners inside the box.

Then, after sanding the edges and some details on the faceplate, I trimmed the face plastic sheet to size and glue it using E6000 too. After it dried up, I cut the extra glue spilling from the sides, and then sanded all the edges. I do think I will add some bondo on the edges to hide the gap between the faceplate and the plastic.

I will also use bondo to finish the outer exterior of the box.

For the closing system, I used some drawer (or cabinet) magnets glued to the interior of the box, and the little metal pieces to the faceplate.

It closes really good and cant be open easily unless you know how to open it in the correct angle. Cool magnets!

post-1761-008376600 1287424151_thumb.jpg

post-1761-076146800 1287424163_thumb.jpg

post-1761-033207000 1287424168_thumb.jpg

So far, this is what I've done.

Next, I am considering adding the soft covering around the box. Maybe some foamy or vinyl.

What do you think... should I add the covering to the box, or leave it like that.

I know there are a few pictures where the covering kind of looks like it is there, but we don't have yet definitive proof of it being or not there.

Decisions!!

Will come with some updates soon.

Saludos

Top class work as all ways bro :)

The magnets are cool, maybe i will try to copy it, as i´m not sure how to close it yet my self.

I have worked on mine as well today, and will add a few pics.

really good work Juan, and the magnet is a good idea.

i will probably use velcro around the edges for mine. i also do my radio in this time.

about the covering around the box, i'm not sure there is this on the movie (like you said no proof about this yet), so the best way is to do it removable i think.

good continuation.

Thanks everyone for such good comments.

This is of course a still in progress work, but I will keep working on it slowly and sharing the advances with you all.

I had this idea before starting: to make the best radio that I could possibly could from the first try. So this might take me more than expected, but I hope at the end I can have a great part for my pack! So then I will have to upgrade the rest of the pack to match the radio, and then the armor to match the pack, and then the BFG and blaster to match the armor and pack, and by then, probably we will have available new parts or discover some new detail... and will have to start all over again!

LOL!

I love this hobby.

So, anyway...

I already put bondo all around the box. In every edge and place I thought it was not alright.

I also started sanding it (just one face is done), but sadly, the shinny black plastic from the kit got all scratched with the sanding. Well, it was expected I guess, but it was so shiny... It felt bad at first.

Anyway, I know I will have to prime it and paint it. Probably a gloss black. And paint the faceplate with two different tones of black. Maybe flat and semi gloss. I don't know yet. And anyway, I will probably cover the box with a foamy cover all around. But hey, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that it was not well finished under that foamy.

Here are two picts of how it is today.

This is just my 3rd experience with bondo, so I am trying to be as careful as possible.

Here it is all "bonded" up.

post-1761-079472800 1287608741_thumb.jpg

And this is one face after sanding.

post-1761-053518500 1287608746_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Any suggestion or recommendation when using bondo?

Saludos.

Bondo has been sanded and radio primed and painted flat black.

The bondo application was not perfect, but it looks quiet good anyway.

The whole box now has a more unified look, also the faceplate.

There is one little detail Im evaluating whether it is worth correcting it or if it is too small to even be noticed: one magnet is too high so there is a gap less than 1mm between the box and the faceplate in one corner. It is unnoticeable unless you take a very close look, but hey, will it make me stay awake all night. I still don't know.

Anyway... here is a picture of the almost finished box. Still deciding if I will be adding a covering all around it or not.

post-1761-001820100 1288029106_thumb.jpg

Next things to do:

Drill out the wholes on the speaker and the wholes for the knobs.

Find the inlets for the side and install them. I want something like headphones jacks.

Install the side brackets.

Decide about the soft cover.

Final paint job on the face plate.

Installing switches, knobs and decals.

Weathering.

What do you think?

Saludos

Looking SSsweet as all ways my friend, you have grow into a big pro trooper gear builder over time.

I like it.

I have been thinking of the soft cover too, but not sure how i will do it.

Do you have any plans bro.

Remember to add the metal in and out puts on the side, and the metal wire as the finial touch :)

Looking great Juan!

An idea regarding the vinyl "wrapping" I had, is to buy some very thin vinyl (I noticed that school book 3 ring binders have this same material), fold it over and laminate it to itself - because that's what the real radio looks like, a folded edge on the front). Then spray the outer box with spray adhesive, then "wrap" the radio in vinyl. The edges could meet at the bottom of the radio where no one would see. Then mount the side brackets / carrying strap slot things.

One thing I was planning to do with my radio, is run the wires for the speaker, MP3 or whatever “through” the seed trays. That way, no wires are outside. They would feed through the trays and come out either side of your hip. This could feed into an MP3 player stored in a pouch, and you could access it any time to stop / pause, skip tracks, etc.

Just some ideas in my head! :)

Looking great Juan!

An idea regarding the vinyl "wrapping" I had, is to buy some very thin vinyl (I noticed that school book 3 ring binders have this same material), fold it over and laminate it to itself - because that's what the real radio looks like, a folded edge on the front). Then spray the outer box with spray adhesive, then "wrap" the radio in vinyl. The edges could meet at the bottom of the radio where no one would see. Then mount the side brackets / carrying strap slot things.

One thing I was planning to do with my radio, is run the wires for the speaker, MP3 or whatever "through" the seed trays. That way, no wires are outside. They would feed through the trays and come out either side of your hip. This could feed into an MP3 player stored in a pouch, and you could access it any time to stop / pause, skip tracks, etc.

Just some ideas in my head! :)

Just yesterday while working with the radio I thought of this exact solution. Well, not exact, I didn't think about the spray adhesive, but the thin vinyl with the edge folded.

I think that is the way I'm going to do it. I will go look for some vinyls this week hopefully. Lets see what can be done.

One more question here:

Do you think the side brackets are attached to the vinyl, or are they attached to the radio box through a cut out on the "wrapping"?

I cant find any reference picture with a view from the side clear enough to show that.

Also, should I also add the broken antenna on the top or from the back?

There is also no clear reference for that.

In one picture I can see that it has something like a circular plastic base on the top, but in the rest of them it seems unclear if it is fixed on the top or on the back.

Taking in consideration other 70s electronics, I would say that the antenna comes from the back, maybe even in a special place, like a "river" at the upper back edge of the box, don't know how to explain it or the actual word for what I mean.

Do you know what I mean?

Like this:

post-1761-053636500 1288046473_thumb.jpg

Any Ideas or suggestions?

;)

Saludos

i think your drawing is good with the antenna.

like you said there is two solutions, in my side i will probably use the broken antenna on the top or from the back, and if one day we find that there was the complete antenna i will change :D .

i'm not sure there is vinyl around the radio in the movie. at least on the move along pack.

Another question I ask : what connector type was used in the left side radio.

i have not good pictures of this, so if someone have an idea of what it was used or maybe a good picture... ;)

• 1 month later...

So, it a month or so has gone and I finally had some time to work on my radio.

To be honest, not much has changed.

Only things I was able to do was to drill all the holes on the speaker and knobs, and I already have the vinyl I am going to use.

The vinyl has been fit, cut and folded so that the edges are rounded, as Terry suggested. It looks good already. Tried the spray adhesive but It is not really working for me, so I will try some hot glue in the next days.

I will keep the vinyl cover since I like how it looks and I think probably it was on the ANH radios based on what I have build so far, but we cant really see it cause it is not very bulky actually.

So anyway, here is a pict from my phone. Sorry for the quality, or lack of it.

post-1761-046412900 1292727722_thumb.jpg

Of course, when properly glued, all the bumps of the vinyl cover will disappear.

;)

What do you think?

Saludos

are you spraying the glue on both surfaces to be bonded? you should, then let both parts(vinyl and radio) dry to the touch only slightly tacky and then press them together and make sure you have them in the right place they should bond like crazy. looking good so far. Woody

are you spraying the glue on both surfaces to be bonded? you should, then let both parts(vinyl and radio) dry to the touch only slightly tacky and then press them together and make sure you have them in the right place they should bond like crazy. looking good so far. Woody

THX bro!!

Didn't know I had to do it that way.

I just sprayed the radio box, but not the vinyl.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

:D

THX a lot.

Saludos.

OK... So I sprayed both parts with the glue and after about 10 mins put the vinyl in place. The result is dramatically different from what I got at first. Anyway, I think there are a few parts I did not apply enough glue/pressure cause it is a bit bumpy. But nothing to worry about.

I am now starting to really like how it looks with the vinyl. I can see the plastic and pieces really turning into a radio replica. And it is starting to get the feel of a vintage radio. :D

I also think now, that it is very very possible that if the radios in ANH had a similar cover, it could or not could not be removed for production and it would not affect how it looks. I mean, it is so thing that I would understand it being there but not being that evident in pictures or film. But, that is just speculation based on my build, of course.

So, here are a couple of pictures.

post-1761-075440500 1292864005_thumb.jpg

post-1761-067620000 1292864006_thumb.jpg

I will detail and rework the glueing thing in the parts where bumps are. Specially near the front rim/corners of the radio.

And next steps would be:

Find good looking input sockets in "mini plug" size, or maybe one in "plug" size.

I remember most headphones and mics use to have the big plugs back in the 70s.

Also, finding and old (hopefully vintage) radio antenna, and install it, but then, braking off most of the pole.

Install all the knobs and switches...

Finding out how to install the brackets to the main radio. I guess I will cut off squares from the vinyl smaller than the brackets, glue them to the radio box in a way that looks like the vinyl is "trapped" under the bracket, but it is still safely fixed to the radio.

Decide wether to add or not the clear plastic dial cover and the dial sticker.

Speakers, wiring, wire around the hole thing and thats it!

My holidays project!

Any ideas or suggestions?

;)

Saludos

So, at the end, the spray glue did not work at all.

After just 1 day the whole vinyl came off the box.

So now I used hot glue to fix it. The results are not as invisible or seamless as with the spray, but it is alright I think. Just need a few retouching here and there and I think it will be great.

I also fixed all the hardware for the dials and knobs and all. They are working mechanisms for dials and although they of course will not be wired or actually working, they do click and coil and everything. Thx John (Quartermaster)!!

The knobs are not in place yet, as I am trying to find a way to glue them strong enough so they can move the mechanisms and not fall down.

Was thinking about e600 or epoxy putty.

What do you think? Would the epoxy fix to the resin, I guess it would to the metal.

John, what did you use in your build?

Thx for any help.

Here are a few picts.

post-1761-061789100 1293125364_thumb.jpg

post-1761-050406000 1293125365_thumb.jpg

post-1761-033681800 1293125366_thumb.jpg

post-1761-019996300 1293125367_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Saludos