MG-34 Plans?

I am currently hoping to build myself a full scale MG34 prop for a project I am working on. I've got the wood. I've got the bondo. I've got the PVC pipe. I've got the time and the enthusiasm. What I don't have is the scale drawings to start building with.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can download some good scale drawings of the MG34. (Full scale if at all possible)

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a demilled MG-34, if you need anything specific let me know

any chance you can post a top down picture? Thats the one thing I have been looking all over for is a detailed picture looking straight down at the reciever. I've my wood/PVC one done but am unhappy with it. It looks the right shape but has 0 of the detail I want. or if anyone knows of any good top down pics online point me the right way please.

CJ

On the old MEPD forum I made a big gallery with real pictures of Lewis machinegun, MG34 and MG15, scopes and other stuff...

but...

the new forum and gallery (this one) don't have it.

I hope my work isn't "lost in space and time"

any chance you can post a top down picture? Thats the one thing I have been looking all over for is a detailed picture looking straight down at the reciever. I've my wood/PVC one done but am unhappy with it. It looks the right shape but has 0 of the detail I want. or if anyone knows of any good top down pics online point me the right way please.

CJ

I will try to get the pictures this weekend, I can even take it apart if that helps at all. i will try to get every angle I can and send you a CD.

PM your address

• 6 months later...

Whip out the calipers TD5422!!!

I have just started work on a full scale model of an MG34 now, and I will take any and all measurements you can give me. I am trying to take measurements from a really crappy vaccuformed MG34, but the details on the thing are rather indistict, and I will accept as many measurements taken from real parts as I can get. Millimetres are prefered, but inches are perfectly acceptable.

The model is to be used as a prop for a WWII game mod I am working on, but I am trying to make the model as detailed as possible so that it will make a lovely conversation piece for me to keep.

I actually have a web page started with progress reports on my work.

http://www.doomlegends.com/deimwolf/mg34model.html

When finished, I will post all the details and measurements I have gathered on my website for others to use. It seems only fair.

A few measurements that are really bugging me are:

- The thickness of the trigger assembly (this part*) at its thickest point, as well as its overall dimensions. (I believe I can cut out a fairly accurate piece from the very photo shown, but the piece's thickness is a real bugbear for me.)

- The width to the receiver cover (this part*) at about the region where the ID number is stamped.

- The overall dimensions of the butt stock, especially the diameter of the metal ring where it connects to the recoil buffer and receiver.

- The widths of virtually anything having to do with the receiver. The two halves of the vacuuformed MG34 do not fit well together, making widths extremely difficult to determine. (I am only interested in the dimensions of external parts. The inside of my receiver is just going to be a block of wood, so providing info on internal parts would only be a waste of time.)

I will cobble together up a few pics in future to show any specific measurements I am looking for.

Thanks.

*(I sure hope the owners of the brpguns site don't get too angry with me for deep linking to their photos. )

The first time the forum moved, users had IIRC 30 days to migrate their albums to the new (these) boards. I'll find out if it's cached someplace, but I doubt it.

On the old MEPD forum I made a big gallery with real pictures of Lewis machinegun, MG34 and MG15, scopes and other stuff...

but...

the new forum and gallery (this one) don't have it.

I hope my work isn't "lost in space and time"

WOOT!!! DING-DING!!!

Here's one part I won't be needing measurements for ...

Right now, in my hot little hand, fresh in from France, is a REAL MG34 bipod!

I'm not going to have any cash for buying anything off ebay for a couple of months, but it's worth it, because this baby is fantastic. It is in great shape with no rust, no damage, and nearly all the original bluing! This thing probably looks exactly the way it did back when it was packed away in 1945!

Oh yeah!

Oh yeah!

I'm happy!

WOOT!!! DING-DING!!!

Here's one part I won't be needing measurements for ...

Right now, in my hot little hand, fresh in from France, is a REAL MG34 bipod!

I'm not going to have any cash for buying anything off ebay for a couple of months, but it's worth it, because this baby is fantastic. It is in great shape with no rust, no damage, and nearly all the original bluing! This thing probably looks exactly the way it did back when it was packed away in 1945!

Oh yeah!

Oh yeah!

I'm happy!

..May I recommend a little RTV silicone and some resin copies?

..May I recommend a little RTV silicone and some resin copies?

I've never had much luck with RTV. I never seem to be able to mix it in the proper proportions, and always end up with goo instead of a mold.

I am good with polyester though. It is much more forgiving. Add a few too many drops of catalyst, and the only thing you have to worry about is some excess heat.

Did I mention I am really happy at the moment?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to make this a double post, but I have not received any replies since I last posted here over 3 1/2 months ago.

I have many many requests for measurements, so that I may resume work on my MG34, but I think I will just repeat the ones I have already requested for now.

(I have been getting my measurements so far from a Cushman Paintball vacuuformed "replica", which, as you all know, is very poor quality. Measurements are virtually impossible on the widths of nearly everything having to do with the receiver with this item, due to warpage that occured when I tried to reinforce "replica" with polyester resin, so I am really stuck when it comes to these measurements.)

Is it possible for anyone to give me any of the following:

-the diameter of the holes in the barrel shroud

- The thickness of the trigger assembly (this part*) at its thickest point, as well as its overall dimensions.

- The width to the receiver cover (this part*) at about the region where the ID number is stamped.

- The overall dimensions of the butt stock, especially the diameter of the metal ring where it connects to the recoil buffer and receiver.

Thank you.

Excellent. An AutoCAD or DXF version would be extrememly helpful. If you have a version that is printable (black on white, with grey or dashed lines for the internal details instead of red on black with green), that would be fantastic.

I would like to suggest that you bring these plans to the attention of TK-4935 in this thread. He is trying to scratch build an MG34 bipod. I sent him a scan or two of my biopd the other night, and intend to send him a measured drawing, and recomendations on how to build one over the course of the next week. I believe that he will be very happy indeed if he can get hold of your drawings.

This leads me to an idea that perhaps we should all get together and see if we can create a definative set of drawings and measurements for model builders to use. I think I will start a new thread about it and see what the moderator thinks.

I would be more than happy to be the focal for that project. These drawings are pretty close. I got a lot of help from a couple of guys that have real MG-34s who supplied me with pics and dimensions so the dimensions are probably with in +/- 1/8 in most places. I'll post a new version with white backgrounds later today.

I also have drawings for the MG-42, the Lewis gun, Biker Scout blaster and the clone DC-15 rifle and Carbine among others.

Let me know.

Alan