Is the Black Pauldron an Upside-down White Pauldron?

1970s

Hey Guys,

I started looking a more ANH sandtrooper photos and I noticed that the Black Pauldron is the white turned upside down.

Some of the pictures below are from behind the scences - you'll notice that the black pauldron is white underneath on the sandtrooper on the right. But you will notice that the sandtrooper on the left has a white pauldron with a White bottom. You will also notice that the Black pauldron sandtrooper has the strap connector attached to the bottom of the pauldron - the white + orange pauldron have this strap connector on the top.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These photos show the White pauldron - White on top and on the bottom.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These photos show a white pauldron with a black bottom - sandtrooper on the left rear of squad

Posted Image

Posted Image

This photo shows a white pauldron with No Seams in the white area - Sandtrooper in center with E-11 blaster

Posted Image

This Behind the secens photo shows 2 black pauldrons with strap arm straps connected underneath - all other pauldrons are connected on the top, The guy with the white pauldron on the left side of the photo has no seams in the white area (the same as the photo above), and the dewback rider wearing the white pauldron with seams - his pauldron has white on the bottom side

Posted Image

Let me know what you think.

jack ;)

In the making of SW book, John Mollo said they took white ones and painted one black and one orange. So the black one could be a white one, just painted. Halston (or whoever made the chest protectors) could have made them in different colors too.

Maybe they was all made on only white all over, upside down.

And they paint the 5 sew room area black, and orange in the rank area...

The white only the 5 room area black...

The black all black on top.

A few of them, was also painted black down under...

but from these pictures, ok sure looks like many of them, maybe most of them...

was white down under.

Good topic bro ;)

Well here's another 2 questions for the Sergeant - White Pauldron TD breakdown thread in this section:

1)Is the White pauldron with sew lines the same rank as the white pauldron without sew lines?? or because the trooper with sew lines is riding the dewback - maybe they are the same rank but the sew lines stand for a mounted/cavalry trooper and the other guy is an infantry trooper???

2) the breakdowns don't seperate the equipment and weapons for the troopers with white pauldron sew lines and the troopers without white pauldron sew lines.

jack ;)

1)The white pauldron with sew lines is only seen riding a dewback on promotional photo,not on any scene.

On the dune scene,it is the no sew lines that are riding the dewback.

We are free to determined what it all meant,since it was not planned to that level of details when they're making it.

I assume your talking images from the 1997 special edition - in the original I don't think the dewback rider was ever close enough to the camera to tell anything about his pauldron. The only images of what the original Dewback riders are wearing are from the promotional shots and the behind the scences shots - inwhich he's wearing a white pauldron with seams.

I don't count any images from the 1997 special edition - the sandtrooper costumes are not correct - they are wearing ROTJ style armor and the backpacks are not correct - besides the fact they did a really bad job on the weathering.

If we count the special edition stuff - they MEPD.COM would allow it's deployed costumers to wear ROTJ armor and be a sandtrooper.

If I have it wrong and your not talking about images from 1997 special edition - could you post the image your talking about.

j

there are 2 of each colour

2x orange

2x white

2x black

only problem is there isnt a clear shot of all 6 in any one shot, only one pic ive seen is a behind the scenes shot taken either before or after the outside shot where the Aluminum Falcon takes off, do you get to see all 6 of em, even inside DB94 with the shootout with Hand Solo (not a typo :P ) all 6 arent in one shot together.. The DB94 Int shot is back in England, so the pauldrons have probably gone amiss between location and studio

besides continuity was never a big priority in the 70s

I would say they were manufactured with different colours so you could choose, after all theyre a chest protector for bmx/motocross. god knows how and why they have different colours, personally i detest seeing TKs wearing them and especially those hideous bi-cloured ones...red/black..white/black and blue/black

...never a truer word has been spoken...

Posted Image

Looking at the photos posted it looks to me like there are at least two different pauldrons. The orange one has a black underside while the black and white both have what looks yellow to me. I believe the orange pauldron has a badge stamped on it near the neck line which could be the manufacturers brand. The black and white versions have a yellow underside so they could be made by a different manufacturer. At least they differ from the orange with the yellow underside.

I have an original Thorsten Hallman 70's chest protector and sew lines differ slightly from the original pauldrons, so either they didn't use the Hallman brand or they made their own? I'm guessing these are simply found items and maybe they were were painted I don't know (not my field of expertese) but I would say the costume department wouldn't bother with the underside of the pauldrons. As already stated, the white one was probably painted and I cannot comment on the one with sewn lines :)

I assume your talking images from the 1997 special edition

Of course not :)

If I have it wrong and your not talking about images from 1997 special edition - could you post the image your talking about.

j

You already did ;)

Posted Image

to wrap it out,i aside it with this image Posted Image

So that leaves the other white pauldron(non-sewed lines) were on the dewback

but i'm curious about this one here

Posted Image

Looks like they were shooting a scene than just sporting for a photoshoot

No its not..there were clones once :D

OK - I see what your saying now - There are 6 original pauldrons and the guy with seams is in the forground during the "Look Sir Droids" scene.

But since the dewback rider is to far out of shot in the film - I feel - the press pictures are what we should be going on for his pauldron. I do agree it was probably the non-seam white pauldron he is wearing but out of the 2 pauldrons - it might have been considered the "Stunt" version and that's why they used the seams for the press shots.

Here is a photo before they enter the falcon bay - you can see the white with seams + the white without - I understand this picture is taken in the U.K. where the scene was shot but the pauldrons - meaning differences seen in the tunisa pictures are all represented between this scene and the docking bay shots. Trooper #2 has no seams - and trooper #1 has the seams on his pauldron.

Posted Image

Posted Image

j ;)

All I'm basicly saying is:

1) Black Pauldron - are white (NO SEAMS) turned upside down

2) White Pauldrons - need to be seperated into:

A. With Seams. - Only version seen close up on a dewback and are white on both

sides.

B. WithOut Seams. - never seen in a close up shot or pub. pic on a dewback and

are black (dark) on the bottom.

This could have something to do with rank or the fact that only one is seen mounted on a dewback (even though its a publicity shot because there are no close ups in the movie).

j ;)

ya cant really set any standard with publicity pictures

canon is whats seen in the film..not whats in a publicity shot...otherwise we may as well set our standards by 'something my friend thinks he saw and told me about and now its canon'

The pic is black and white..in a studio..with bright lights above..AND the most visible white pauldron only has ONE seam visible..wheres the second?? because there IS a 2nd

in all fairness the bottom pic does not show a seam or no seam, and to speculate that it has no seam, coz ya cant see it, is pure conjecture, not an absolute

ya cant really set any standard with publicity pictures

canon is whats seen in the film..not whats in a publicity shot...otherwise we may as well set our standards by 'something my friend thinks he saw and told me about and now its canon'

The pic is black and white..in a studio..with bright lights above..AND the most visible white pauldron only has ONE seam visible..wheres the second?? because there IS a 2nd

in all fairness the bottom pic does not show a seam or no seam, and to speculate that it has no seam, coz ya cant see it, is pure conjecture, not an absolute

Well I'm a little lost - what's the diff. if they are in a shot together - there are obviously 2 diff. ones both shown on screen.

There were obviously only 6 pauldrons used - 2 orange, 2 black w/ white bottoms, 1 white with seams and white bottom, 1 white no seams with black bottom.

If your going to argue you can see one but not the other from scene to scene - and disreguard pub. shots - I don't know what to tell you.

Well in the next shot - here is the guy without seams:

Posted Image

if you notice the white pauldron guy to the far right is the pauldron with seams - I guess your going to say - well I can't see the seams (which is true because of the quality of the photo - but if you look close - the dirt pattern (detail) on the pauldron matches the dirt pattern as the guy with seams from the previous shot. (the dirt pattern I'm speaking of is just above the MG34 on the second sandtrooper - pauldron with seams)

Posted Image

So is that not the 2 diff. white pauldrons in the same shot???

j ;)

I just found these photos - (more hi res):

I think you can clearly see the seam on the white pauldron all the way on the right (the seam is running through the dirt patch) and obviously the center guy has no seam.

Posted Image

These photo are not as good - but you see each of the 2 different white pauldrons standing next to each other.

Posted Image

Posted Image

j ;)