No Rank - Pauldronless TD breakdown

pandatrooper

The gray pauldron is what I like to call "rank amateur." :D

Seriously though, I'm not sure what his rank would be.

I'd guess he's the assistant to the general manager or something like that.

He's not canon though so he probably won't be fit into this. B)

I was in the understanding that "back in the day" when ppl didnt had DVD players or photoshop or stuff we have, there were this things called videocassettes in formats they called Betamax or VHS.

I think those things would wear off from ppl watching and rewatching movies recorded on it. And I guess SW fans "were" obsessed with watching the movies, so probably they wore off a lot.

Then, those videocassette recorders or VCRs had this function to pause the movie, but it would not be a pause like we know, but a lot of static would appear in the screen.

From those formats came the first references, and I think that the guy riding the dewback appeared to have a gray pauldron. Now of course we know it is white. But there is where the confusion came from.

Didn't it?

Man! I can still remember every single word of my first spanish dubbed version of ANH back in the early 80s. I must have played that video in our super cool modern Betamax VCR at least 300 times!

Oh! And then we got a remote that had to be plugged to the VCR with a cable. LOL

Saludos.

Top cool work Terry, now you have made them all.

Lets see if we can spot a few new ones, i did not add to my diagram :)

(there are not grey pauldrons in ANH, i think LFL made some sandy kid toys whit grey pauldrons on.

And a few pauldron makers made some as well.. and it pops up here and there in the costume hobby, but not accurate as far as i know)

Top cool work Terry, now you have made them all.

Lets see if we can spot a few new ones, i did not add to my diagram :)

(there are not grey pauldrons in ANH, i think LFL made some sandy kid toys whit grey pauldrons on.

And a few pauldron makers made some as well.. and it pops up here and there in the costume hobby, but not accurate as far as i know)

I based my first TD on the black pouldron trooper on the roadblock with an MG15 and cheesegrater handplates.

If I remember correctly, there are two versions of this black pouldron trooper with MG15. One with cheese graters one with latex.

The cheesegrater as far as I can see uses the unidentified rectagular pouch on the right side, and a pack with one loop of electricians tape across and one along the two seedtrays union.

post-1761-096585200 1285189293_thumb.png

post-1761-014321900 1285189303_thumb.png

The latex handplates ones uses one MP40 pouch on the shoulder and another on the right side of the belt.

post-1761-077108100 1285189317_thumb.png

But both packs and other gear are difficult to spot.

We will need a little more detective work here...

Lets see if anyone can spot the parts missing for these and other troopers.

;)

Saludos.

I based my first TD on the black pouldron trooper on the roadblock with an MG15 and cheesegrater handplates.

If I remember correctly, there are two versions of this black pouldron trooper with MG15. One with cheese graters one with latex.

The cheesegrater as far as I can see uses the unidentified rectagular pouch on the right side, and a pack with one loop of electricians tape across and one along the two seedtrays union.

post-1761-096585200 1285189293_thumb.png

post-1761-014321900 1285189303_thumb.png

The latex handplates ones uses one MP40 pouch on the shoulder and another on the right side of the belt.

post-1761-077108100 1285189317_thumb.png

But both packs and other gear are difficult to spot.

We will need a little more detective work here...

Lets see if anyone can spot the parts missing for these and other troopers.

;)

Saludos.

I'm probably wrong - but when looking at the ref. photos in the post above - the black pauldron looks like a white turned upside down. The second photo (sandtrooper profile view) it looks like there is white on the bottom side above his shoulder.

j

Well, how about that? Fantastic observation! It certainly does look like that, which would make sense since they were motorcycle chest protectors. Racers tend to prefer brighter colors, right?

It's amazing what we keep learning with the high res imagery we have now, coupled with lots of keen eyes!

I'm probably wrong - but when looking at the ref. photos in the post above - the black pauldron looks like a white turned upside down. The second photo (sandtrooper profile view) it looks like there is white on the bottom side above his shoulder.

I think you might be right.

The fasteners that attach the elastic that goes under your arm are on the "top" of the black pauldron. They're always underneath.

Also the "quilting" around the neck doesn't look the same... it looks like a reverse.

I think you might be right.

The fasteners that attach the elastic that goes under your arm are on the "top" of the black pauldron. They're always underneath.

Also the "quilting" around the neck doesn't look the same... it looks like a reverse.

ITS THE GRAY!!!!!!

This probably doesn't add much to the Pauldronless TD...But it's funny how one of them is the first to get killed in the Hanger Bay... If he would have been wearing his TD gear, then maybe he would still have been alive and telling tales about hangar bay 94 ...:lol:

My theory on the only two TD's that do go down in the hangar bay is, the first one is the Pauldronless/without field pack TD and then the orange Pauldron/Fieldpackless (Captain "STOP THAT SHIP")TD, both of which are more than likely stunt men and a decision was made or they opted not to wear it so as not get hurt or damage the gear.

You have to think they were on a tight budget and had very limited time for shooting in a day (from about 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM, not counting tea breaks and lunch). If they needed to shoot the scene over or use the TD's for other scenes and the gear got damaged, then they would have to stop and repair or have to replace the damaged props. Given the fact that was not in the budget and the time restraints, this is probably why we are seeing a few run around without the gear.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

My theory on the only two TD's that do go down in the hangar bay is, the first one is the Pauldronless/without field pack TD and then the orange Pauldron/Fieldpackless (Captain "STOP THAT SHIP")TD, both of which are more than likely stunt men and a decision was made or they opted not to wear it so as not get hurt or damage the gear.

I think this has been discussed before during discussion on deployed standards, and lack of packs or pauldrons and that was the conclusion...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

While I realize it's far to late to change, I think no pauldron should be private and black pauldron should be assistant squad leader or Corporal. When I was a cadet, pauldrons were only issued to NCOs. You don't need to put a pauldron on the lowest rank. They are easy to recognize as the guys without them.

Alternatively, they could be used to mark Privates assigned to a specific task. I.E. the Privates in Platoon One wear no pauldrons and those in Platoon Two wear black. Third Platoon wears grey, etc. With this route, white would make sense as assistant squad leader and orange as Sargeant. The problem with orange as Captain is that every third TD in the film seemed to be a Captain. Even as Sargeant, that's a bit of a stretch.

Darn. I overthought this, didn't I? :blink::P

• Like 1

I really like the friend's attention on the ephod.<br closure_uid_oqmje9="1782"> Classification should be maintained and not all of the TD is orange.<br closure_uid_oqmje9="1783"> Regards

Posted Image

• 5 years later...
So this set up configuration could get me level 1 sandtrooper approval? 

I would like to get approved by the Dutch garrison .

No, sadly not. For basic approval, a Pauldron is required. If you aim for PO, you'll need a Backpack too.

The TD without Pauldron can only be Approved as a SWAT-Trooper if it matches the one seen in ANH.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 8:48 PM, johaneggink said:

So this set up configuration could get me level 1 sandtrooper approval? 

I would like to get approved by the Dutch garrison .

As said by Benfriday77 basic approval really needs a pauldron as can be found in the CRL.

http://www.mepd.net/crl/

From level 3/ SWAT you can choose which trooper you want to emulate.

I'll send you a PM and check out the post that I've made on our own garrison's forum.

:salute: