Private - Black Pauldron TD breakdown

pandatrooper

Thanks Nathan for catching that detail on pack #4. I will change it. I mentioned on one of the other posts that ultimately, I would like to update the pack images with photos from actual builds. That should also lend more accuracy to the diagrams. :)

Wwwuhhu end of the line, just too cool bro.

I love it :wub:

You have done a fantastic job here.

I know there are a few more TD compositions, but i made just the once i was most sure about.

Maybe i, or others can add a few more to the diagram.

And you can add them on, would be too cool, if we could complete them all over time :duim:

Id like to see each version have its own locked thread with all the supporting images we can find for that specific trooper. as new reference material becomes available we load it to that thread. this way we dont have info everywhere....it will make it much easier for everyone.

• Upvote 1

Id like to see each version have its own locked thread with all the supporting images we can find for that specific trooper. as new reference material becomes available we load it to that thread. this way we dont have info everywhere....it will make it much easier for everyone.

Thats a good idea, keep all the info to each thread. Much easier for people to find and replicate whichever TD they want.

Rolf, I'll do the "no pauldron" TD next. :)

Just a little tidbit from the peanut gallery here, but I've heard the black pauldron TD referred to elsewhere as a Corporal. This makes sense to me, making the "no pauldron" TD the Private.

Thoughts?

The only reason I bring this up is that it seems we're establishing some pretty good guidelines that will be around the MEPD for a long time to come. This might be kind of a "speak now or forever hold your peace" moment.

Just a little tidbit from the peanut gallery here, but I've heard the black pauldron TD referred to elsewhere as a Corporal. This makes sense to me, making the "no pauldron" TD the Private.

Thoughts?

The only reason I bring this up is that it seems we're establishing some pretty good guidelines that will be around the MEPD for a long time to come. This might be kind of a "speak now or forever hold your peace" moment.

you are correct brother....the black pauldron is commonly referred to as the "Corporal" and I think it makes sense to me as well.

Thanks man :)

This might be kind of a "speak now or forever hold your peace" moment.

It is that for sure.

Or at least a "speak now or bring it up later and make everyone annoyed that they have to go through and change reference material that has been set for years and years at that point" moment.

It is that for sure.

Or at least a "speak now or bring it up later and make everyone annoyed that they have to go through and change reference material that has been set for years and years at that point" moment.

:D :D :D :D Gotta love the MEPD

I'll update the text if Corporal is the correct terminology, I just used what Rolf had on his diagram. We can save Private for the "no pauldron" guy.

Honestly Ive heard them referred to as Private, corporal and enlisted....as well as Black pauldron trooper....lol

Excellent job Terry! I'd suggest just removing the ranks entirely. The keys provided by LFL make no real sense at all.

I love the idea of keeping these sticky, or else putting them in their own visual reference area of the forums.

Yep!

I agree with Paul.

Ranks make no sense to me. And I must say lots of things approved by GL and LFL make no sense either... we know better.. LOL!!

But why not just refer to them by the color of their pauldron: orange, white, black and no pauldron troopers.

Or... Mr. Orange, Mr. White, Mr. Black and Nice Guy Eddie for the no pauldron trooper.

;)

Saludos.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(Sorry, gents. I know I'm still a nobody around here and my own armor may be a long way off, but if it's ok, I'd like to insert my $.02 here, too.)

I think ascribing ranks to the pauldrons is a good idea, and adds more clarity to the color choice than it does confusion. We're in the process of establishing precedents here that, once set, will give more structure to the uniform.

1. Newbies like myself would understand quickly that the color goes with the trooper's rank, as I originally understood when I came to the forum.

2. When trooping, you'll have a firm, coordinated response when kids ask, "Why is your pauldron orange and his is black?" Otherwise, there's no uniformity to the responses. "I like orange better" doesn't sound like a very in-character response, and if everyone makes up their own reasons, it could get really confusing for kids.

3. Costumed rank structure doesn't mean that one trooper is superior to another, but it helps give the illusion of a system of authority in keeping with the Empire a TD would serve.

In short, I think this precedent should be figured out and established, rather than avoided and left for another day.

That being said, you guys are the decision makers, and you've done a fantastic job thus far coming up with great solutions to complex issues. Thanks for at least giving a listening ear--one of the many things I love about the MEPD.

Conceptually with the advent of the NT, seeing as how the pauldrons indicated ARC training and the color was based on organization, one would presume that these were specially ARC trained troopers (Vader's best!). I always preferred the theory that color was branch.

However we have the anecdote that when Lucas saw the sandtroopers he asked the prop guys how he could tell what rank they were, and thus were born the pauldrons.

So, even though what we see on screen percent wise and also via the New Trilogy doesn't bear it out, the original intent and current LFL marketing says they are rank based, does it not?

I think having black/white be corporal/sergeant or vice versa is fine, with no pauldron being a basic grunt trooper.

In other words, in my verbose style, ignore my previous post.

Hey Russell...

That is great insight there. Trooping and portraying an Imperial Character is always important for the Legion Members. And it does give a more real sense of this fantasy to kids! I actually encourage my fellow Mexican TDs to play along with the ranks and military talk when in costumes...

Please, always feel free to speak out your point of view, ideas, experiences and doubts. We all together, and our experiences and ideas enrich this detachment every day. This is why I love this place so much, cause everyone is valuable and no one is more important than the others. A true band of brothers as has been stated so many times!

I personally think that adding the rank for each color and making that our nomenclature can be helpful in some ways, but add up to the confusion too. I mean, there are soooo many variations on TD armor and props, that putting in rock that this is this rank and that is that, could end up making no sense in terms of actually matching what we see on screen.

For example, the move along trooper can be taken as a higher rank trooper since he is the one that talks in the roadblock, but then, why is the white higher than the black? And then, packs, pauldrons, helmets and weapons are exchanged from scene to scene, even from take to take.

All this and many other things I thought of when saying for me ranks made no sense. They make no sense for me on screen, and we know there are no oficial ranks on the Legion other than COs and XOs...

But hey!! I like what you say about having a character and a rank to protrait and to play along, specially with kids.

Check this thread about playing a character and ranks and all that... its fun: http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=6821

Anyway, this is what I think.

What does everyone else think in regar of Russell's thoughts here?

:)

Lets keep making this an amazing detachment with everyone's opinions and ideas!

Saludos

Excellent points Juan! Also, just because we are displaying soldiers we're still civilians under the covers. When troopers start bossing other troopers around based on their costume...well some things can be taken too far :)

• Like 1