Private - Black Pauldron TD breakdown

pandatrooper

Excellent points Juan! Also, just because we are displaying soldiers we're still civilians under the covers. When troopers start bossing other troopers around based on their costume...well some things can be taken too far :)

^ Absolutely agree here. It's costuming, for Pete's sake. (Of course, I know how far some people take things...)

It just seems like it might help give some back story to the pauldron colors, and seems like it adds more clarity than confusion.

Thanks for the reception, guys. It sounds like the Staff has it pretty well under control.

Cheers.

Agreed Juan....we dont want people to think that because they have an orange pauldron it means anything other than what it is. I know i dont let Vader boss me around ;)

that being said, I like the use of the actual "rank" in the description of the pauldron....In my opinion, when it is referred to as the "orange pauldron trooper" it kind of makes us look like we dont know how its broken down. Starwars.com, Wookiepedia and just about everywhere else reference them as rank (capt, sgt, enlisted.....)

Great input everyone....now who wants to talk about recasting? lol

Excellent points Juan! Also, just because we are displaying soldiers we're still civilians under the covers. When troopers start bossing other troopers around based on their costume...well some things can be taken too far :)

Yes... exactly.

I know in Mexican Garrison there is this "respect" for veteran troopers. And that we even had ranks on the forum based on the amount of posts. But then it went to far and ppl started asking for respect and importance based on their post count. Sometimes in troops, higher ranking posters would go as far as ordering newbies to do stuff... we had to stop it.

Portraying a rank is GREAT. I mean, no one would doubt to pay respect to Vader or the Emperor when in armor at a troop. But the guy under the mask is still another guy like everyone else. Same goes for Gral Veers and other uniformed officer's costumes, Gree, Codi, Bly, etc...

But that is portraying, playing the part... having fun! :D

If we chose to keep the ranks, I think we all know it is just for classifying and portraying purposes!

Its all for fun!!!

It is just that maybe I am one of those guys who want to go aaaall the way to be the same as in the movie as a walking prop replica or forgery... and sometimes leave some stuff just for the troops. But I love both sides of the hobby!!

So...

When talking about prop building and classification, ranks make no sense to me.

When talking about trooping and character playing, ranks are a lot of fun if taking like a character.

:D

What do we want?

I will follow what we all agree on!

This is what we are here for! To have fun and share our hobby and passion!

TD for life!!

:D

Posted Image

Saludos

Id like to see each version have its own locked thread with all the supporting images we can find for that specific trooper. as new reference material becomes available we load it to that thread. this way we dont have info everywhere....it will make it much easier for everyone.

that`s a great idea and with all the ref pics it`s a great help especially for TD newbies like me to help find the trooper you gonna

want to do!!!

about the ranks i totally agree with Headcount, especially when trooping and kids would ask questions!! i know that from my nephew who is a 10 year old and a huge StarWars fan!!everytime i meet him he asked me special questions about this or that character and i have to remind all the facts :lol::blink: !!

btw. thanks for coming up with the pics for the individual troopers, it`s a really great help to choose a character!!

Off-topic a touch...

To stay "in character" on a troop, I encourage the use of roles instead of the term rank

for example:

Orange = patrol leader

White = squad leader

Black = troopers

Luckily, most of our troopers have one of each colour and blaster so we can share and mix up the look of the "squad" if need be.

Just confirmed with a couple of websites including Starwars.com and they all refer to black pauldron as enlisted. corporal and private may have been established within the legion.

My vote would say call it "Enlisted"

as i am a black pauldron td variant, i also have always referred to him as enlisted! B)

i must also say that this reference is excellent,and thats why i always recommend that new members in the uk garrison who wish to do a td head over to the MEPD!!

this is top stuff guys! B) B) B) B)

My only gripe with the term "Enlisted" is that, in the real world, sergeants are technically enlisted, as well as corporals, privates, etc. Officers are not enlisted, but commissioned through other channels such as academies, etc. (I know it's being very sticklish of me, but old habits die hard...)

*I also realize that we're trying to fit Star Wars terminology into real-world usage, which can be ridiculous to the point of futility.* We're taking on the challenge of placing significance where it probably wasn't originally intended by Lucas; never written or adhered to for continuity. However, if we're trying to keep things understandable on a basic level, it needs to be taken into consideration. We're tackling an elephant here, but I think we're doing a really good job. Besides, there's nothing wrong with taking some liberties and establishing what becomes the "official" language. Just because the Great Lucas didn't think about it doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't exist.

So, I have no major objections to using that term, but I wanted to bring that up for your decision making pleasure.

(You guys are going to start hating hearing from me before too long...) :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet. I saved the image of the TD with black pauldron and e-11 blaster. I will keep this to use as a reference sheet as I am putting together my new TD outfit.

I do not care about ranks. The reason I am going with the black pauldron is that the other TDs in my garrison or the people who I troop with at conventions all have the orange or white pauldrons. Not me, I have to be different and go for the lesser color used, black.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just looking through this topic and some reference material and I have come across this and wanted to see what you all throught.

Appears to be a black pauldron trooper with an E-11 and what looks like it may be a "Move Along" pack with a small spanish pouch on his right side, and can't be sure but it looks like it may be the same or possibly a medium spanish on the other side. Also looks like all black trays so it could possibly be the same apck as the Alley Check Captain has.

Posted Image

Maybe we need to add a further trooper to the list.

Nick

In fact here we see him just before the shooting starts and it does appear to me, after enhancing the image that he has a medium spanish pouch on his left side, that his seed trays are indeed black and he has possibly a leather 3-slot pouch on his left shoulder.

Posted Image

Nick

Here he is again, another earlier shot from this scene and he is standing at the back of the docking bay, and (when enhanced you can see what looks like a medium or large spanish pouch on his hip, and definately a canvas MP40 pouch on his shoulder with the tool pouch clearly viewable here, plus you can tell it is that by the lower studs for the flaps, compared with the leather 3slot pouch in front of him.

Posted Image

I think this shot combined with the others definately confirms this trooper's existance.

What I find interesting about this guy is his low brow. Indicating that he is probably also in the road block scene here:

Posted Image

Nick

Well the plot thickens on this one because Yes he is seen in the Road Block scene with an E-11. Unfortunately the reference pics I have do not show him but if you watch this video you can clearly see him stood on the left of the screen just as the landspeeder pulls up at the road block, and just before the stupid SE beast walks past the screen.

Then we have another conundrum with this trooper because he is also seen in the Alley Check scene as would be indicated by this layout:

Posted Image

However he does not have this pouch and pack setup, he is in fact wearing a small spanish pouch on his right as seen here:

Posted Image

And he has backpack #2 not #4. And a very weird unidentified pouch on his left hip here:

Posted Image

Anyone shed any light on this? Have I uncovered something someone else miss, because I very much doubt that.

Nick