DLT-19 Paint Tutorial

Iconoclasta_88(Juan) asked if I would post a tutorial so here it is.

I first painted the whole blaster with flat black spray paint and let it dry overnight.

Then you use a 1" semi-stiff bristle brush and Rub-N-Buff metallizer

Posted Image

squeeze out a very, very small dab on a paper plate,this stuff dries out fast and alittle goes a LONG way.

brush it up and then brush it onto a rag until it's almost totally dry

Posted Image

Here before metalizing, well there is some on it but I rubbed most off to demonstrate, it will be totally black to begin with

Posted Image

do a test on something else to see how dry the brush is, it will need to be very dry or it will leave way too much on the surface.lightly brush the surface all over being sure to get all the raised details and the broad flat ares too.JUST DONT GO OVERBOARD YOU WANT TO BRING OUT THE FEEL OF THE SURFACE NOT PAINT IT SILVER. after metalizing...

Posted Image

This stuff dries very quickly so no need to wait overnight to move on

You need black acrylic paint,water and a soft brush.

Posted Image

mix about 3/4oz paint with 1 1/2oz water or where you can still read writing on white paper through the paint

any darker you will cover to much and any thinner it will just run off. You just need to brush the black on a section at a time and dab off lightly with a paper towel repeating the process until you like the result be sure to let it dry inbetween coats. you can use a hair dryer to speed the drying.

generous coat of thinned black paint...

Posted Image

after dabbing with towel...

Posted Image

after drying...

Posted Image

Painting the bakelite finish on the stock I masked off the blaster then I used Rustoleum satin brown.

I sprayed the stock and let it dry overnight. I used the same thinned black acrylic but thinned it 50/50 then brushed it on the stock trying to cover it as quick as I could all over then quickly used a cloth rag to dab at the black to get the mottled look all over. I used the hairdryer to dry it then sealed it with Krylon clearcoat then repeated the process 3 times.It will give a deeper appearance.

Posted Image

Next I needed to install the wires around the "T" track first I made some very small "V" cuts in the track

Posted Image

Then I cut the small wires for the bottom track, I have a Hyperfirm so the bi-pod wont come off so it's alittle harder to twist the wires but I used a drill bit and drilled a hole through from one side to the other then stuck the wire through...

Posted Image

The rest is easy just cut the wires and wrap them around where they go and twist them together on the bottom

Posted Image

Posted Image

Take your time with the rub-n-buff step it will make or break your paintjob and again test the drybrush technique on a section and if you go too far use a rag and paint thinner to clean it off and start over. It's only paint!

Thanks alot Juan for asking me to do this I am honored to share my work with everyone and humbled by your comments. Woody

• Upvote 1

coming from you Rolf that means alot to me. thanks so much. I would be interested in painting anyones blaster for very cheap if anyones interested. In the states shipping is no problem but certain countries would need to be researched and by cheap I mean it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...