Zenix/Sonix Radio Build

Quartermaster

Thought it might be a good idea to start a new topic for everyone who will be finishing their new Radio builds. Better to post them here than under Charlies project order thread.

Working the night shift as usual and had some free time on my hands so I worked on my radio.

Box was built out of 1/8 " black ABS with a smooth side and a textured side. I decided to have the textured side facing out. Liked the way it looked.

I wanted to be able to access the inside of the radio so the box was built with small hinges on one side. I backed the faceplate with ABS as well to give it some extra strength as well as providing a mounting surface for the hinges and my switches.

All switches and knobs are functional (meaning they move/click/turn).

Ran a strip of black industrial strength velcro on the left inside of the box and faceplate to keep it closed.

Speaker grill holes have all been drilled out and I will be installing my powered speaker and MP3 player inside to play the Sandtrooper Loop and some choice SW music.

Gave it a couple of coats of flat black. Just have to put in my dial sticker, the small Sonix label at the bottom and weather it and this baby is done!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks amazing!

Cant wait to have mine!

The texture on the box is really cool.

I was thinking about adding some black vinyl around the box, cause to me it looks like the original ones had it.

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=4928

Any thoughts on that?

And, what about the custom paint job?

What would everybody think about leaving it all black, or trying to emulate the original colors?

I know Rolf painted his MH radio all black, and same (or almost) did Nol...

Any other approaches?

This is exciting!!!

Saludos.

Radio looks nice, but is it me or is the box way too high?

I did custom make the box slightly higher than normal. Most of my other builds are about 3" high. I made this one 3 1/4" to accomodate the larger powered speaker that I will be installing. The ABS backing plate allso adds another 1/8" to the height.

It doesn't really look high at all in person. Not sure why it does in the photos.

That looks amazing!

Cant wait to have mine!

The texture on the box is really cool.

I was thinking about adding some black vinyl around the box, cause to me it looks like the original ones had it.

http://forum.mepd.ne...?showtopic=4928

Any thoughts on that?

And, what about the custom paint job?

What would everybody think about leaving it all black, or trying to emulate the original colors?

I know Rolf painted his MH radio all black, and same (or almost) did Nol...

Any other approaches?

This is exciting!!!

Saludos.

Thanks Juan! Glad you like it.

Looking at the photo of the original, it almost looks like it has some sort of protective padding or vinyl/leather wrap on it.

It may have been padded vinyl since it was electronics made to be used in the field.

As for the paint job, I painted most of the other black surfaces on my pack with the flat black. I think when you add the weathering to it, it makes it look more worn and used, sun bleached and sand blasted. I wanted it to match the rest of the pack. The textured ABS is quite shiny.

Put the finishing touches on the new radio today. Placed a radio dial sticker and clear cover plate on it. Also placed the little green Sonix Logo sticker on the bottom left. Weathered it and it is ready to mount on the pack. Hope to get to that in a day or two.

Posted Image

Posted Image

John,you got to tell us how the **** you make one of the buttons *click* pleease THATS AWESOME! B)

I am lucky enough at my job that I work a lot with lots of equipment that gets turned over and recycled every year. We literally have rooms full of equipment that is collecting dust, waiting to be sent out. Most of this stuff has lots of knobs and switches. I take some of the older stuff that is scheduled to go out for recycling and I dismantle it and remove some of the switching and internal knob components. This particular one clicks into 3 different positions.

Posted Image

The other two knobs have a #8 -1" long threaded machine screw epoxyed into the back of the knob (after carefully drilling a hole in the back of the knob). I place a small stainless steel washer between the knob and the faceplate and on the back of the faceplate and place a nylon threaded nut. Tighten the nut just enough to allow the knob to freely turn. The nylon threaded nut will not back off.

The silver switches are basic switches from Radio Shack.

Posted Image

Very nice! What did you use for the dial cover?

I have access to clear dial covers that can be found on pressure gauges for such things as nitrogen regulators. They are almost a perfect fit for the Crashmann faceplates, even the older vac formed ones. I use them on all of my radio builds.

I have access to clear dial covers that can be found on pressure gauges for such things as nitrogen regulators. They are almost a perfect fit for the Crashmann faceplates, even the older vac formed ones. I use them on all of my radio builds.

The question is, do you have access to enough of them to offer them for sale to the rest of us poor slobs. If not, the next question is, can you and I swap one for a large dial next time you need one?

The question is, do you have access to enough of them to offer them for sale to the rest of us poor slobs. If not, the next question is, can you and I swap one for a large dial next time you need one?

I may be able to get about 10 of them on short notice if anyone is interested in them. Possibly more after that. I will look into it. If anyone is interested in a dial cover, shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do. If I can secure a large amount of them, I will gladly make them available.