Weathering test

kf990

I tryed useing my airbrush to see how it would look here is what it looked like imput please I want to know ya'lls thoughts and if anyone has used an airbrush to weather how did you do it

thanks

Posted Image

I think it's a viable option to brush / sponging. I find that sometimes the sprayed look is a bit too even, compared to a textured look. What I would suggest is if you're using water based paint, use a wet sponge or a scotchbrite pad to remove some of the paint from the high spots to give it a more "worn" look.

What makes weathered armor look great is when the dirt looks like it's settled in the nooks and crannies. Right now you still have some brown in the high spots, so if you randomly remove some (especially the corners and high spots) it would improve it.

I tryed useing my airbrush to see how it would look here is what it looked like imput please I want to know ya'lls thoughts and if anyone has used an airbrush to weather how did you do it

thanks

Posted Image

BTW....is this a sample piece of armor?

I think if you apply 50-60% less paint, then do the scotch brite scrubbing, it could work. If you look at the TD's in the films, there's more balance between white showing and dirt. I think you have too much dirt going right now.

Remember, you can always do a "lighter" dirt pass, then ***** it and add more if you need to later. It might be harder to take it off than add it on.

Good luck!

Yeah, this looks a bit too painted if you want my honest opinion.

It might work for far away, or photography or something, but you want to look like you actually have dirt on your armor for sure... not like it's painted on.

I know some guys do the airbrush thing though.

So yeah, it's an option, just have to be careful / use the right technique when doing it.

I used craft paints on mine and people always touch it, then look really close at it, then say, "Is that real dirt?" When I tell them it's paint they can't believe it. So it worked well. B)

i used an airbrush on my commander it can look great but less is more put down very light layers ( so you can only just tell there is paint there) then wipe most of it off and then applt the next layer concentrating on the crevices but practice makes perfect so practice practice practice !!!

Hey man..

I also used airbrush for my weathering. And I like it a lot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I used very thinned, water dilutalbe colors in layers and much pressure. And under that i had different colurs (black,sand..) and removed most of it with a sponge. I brushed all the corners, where the dirt would hide and removed most of it with the kitchen-sponge..the hard side (don´t know the english name for that) we call it Glitzi-Schwamm :rolleyes:

But don´t forget: Less is more!

Cheers, Mike

we call it Glitzi-Schwamm :rolleyes:

:peace: hahaha. i didn´t hear that word for a long time!

Aber so nennt man den Schwamm wirklich in Deutschland! Ich kenne den Namen auch!

i can only echo what the others said, apply the colors using airbrush but try to imitate the textured look by rubbing some paint off, maybe not only in the high spots but also a light overall texture would give it a less painted look.