How to: attach seed trays seamlessly!

pandatrooper

This is kind of those “This is so simple, why didn’t I think of this sooner” kind of things. Not sure if anyone has done it this way before, but regardless I thought I should document it to help others.

I had wanted to install my upper seed trays to the lowers seamlessly, with a few key features:

I didn’t want to glue the trays together (I’m paranoid of them falling off)

The trays need to be easily removable for future mods

No obvious fasteners on the outside (no screws visible, etc.)

Parts / tools used:

Small metal L brackets (holes should be the same size as the bolts you use to attach parts to the top trays

Drill

14” or longer zip ties

Step 1: when attaching the various pack items to the outer trays, I also installed some simple metal “L” shaped brackets on the inside. For whatever reason, I had a small box of these and put them to use. I basically installed one on each corner, using the bolt or rivet from attaching an external part. This means the rivet or bolt not only holds the part on the upper tray, but it also holds the L bracket in place to create a mounting point to hold the seed trays together using zip ties.

Posted Image

Attach an L bracket to the following points (for the Move Along pack, simply adjust the mounting points on other packs).

Upper tray:

Top outside corner of tool box

Lower outside corner of tool box

Outer 2 points on the exhaust port (On my pack, I simply installed 2 rivets under the exhaust port before I bolted the port in place)

Lower tray:

Top outside corner of radio

Lower outside corner of radio

Upper cistern attachment point

Lower cistern attachment point

Posted Image

Step 2: drill some holes in the lower seed trays where they attach your cross bars. I used 2 aluminum cross bars per tray. Simply drill a hole above and below each cross bar at each corner.

Posted Image

Step 3: Thread a zip tie starting on the underside of the pack (where your back is) through the tray, through the hole in the L bracket, back through the second hole in the tray. Make sure to pass the end of the zip tie through the “tightening slot” on the other end of the zip tie. Do this for all 4 connection points on 1 tray.

Posted Image

Step 4: Simply align the seed tray top to the bottom tray, and tighten the zip ties. Snip off of the ends, and you’re done!

Posted Image

Step 5: Repeat the same procedure with the other tray.

Posted Image

If you ever need to change something, just use some side cutter pliers to snip the zip ties, and separate the trays. Do what you need to, then re-zip tie them back together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

I love zip ties. I fasten almost all parts of my pack together with them. An idea I got from Rick Dirtyboy.

All but the seed trays that is. Should have thought of that sooner. It's a great idea! ;)

Btw Terry, are u planning to cover up the stinger with a lid? I know it's not visible from the back view, but it can be seen from the side if one get real close. Consistent with the overall look as well without white Styrofoam showing. Just a friendly suggestion. B)

Hey Gordon. Yes, I’ll do the cover, just haven’t gotten to it yet. I’m actually going to extend the bottom cross bar on the frame out a bit, as it’s too low and makes the stinger “stick out” and hits my butt, and the pack doesn’t sit right. I’m going to drill out the rivets and reposition / reinstall it. I’ll do the black cover at that point.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...