Incident at the jundland wastes, how accurate is this painting?

While at SD Comic Con. I happen upon this painting by DD.

From my understanding it was done for C4.

It depicts the after math of the now famous Jawa slaughter by Sandtroopers.

As you can see the imagery is quite powerful and wanted to start an open discussion about this painting.

Including how canon you feel it is.

The TD on the right looks beyond cool. Also interesting is presence of TK's working along side the TDs.

Posted Image

Dave Dorman is a great traditional illustrator, but I know he uses some shots and photos from different sources and they aren't always 100% accurate (which I think sometimes is OK with artistic license) so we can't pick on him too much. I think he uses friends in armor to pose for him sometimes for reference photos, and the helmets always bug me a bit because they look very "FX" in proportion and detail.

In regards to this image, I agree, I like the sandy / tusken combo (like he's wearing a disguise!). I would have liked to have seen:

- Would have been nice to have seen more "accurate blast points"

- Banthas side by side (Ben said they walk in single file to hide their numbers, but the TD's didn't know so they rode side by side).

I've always liked this painting of his (not crazy about the Vader pose personally, but the rest is cool)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is what I found intersting.

1. Protocol Droid torn to peaces. Clearly depicting the TDs looking for the plans to the Death Star.

2. What could be my next costume, TD disguised as a Tusken Raider.

My guess is that the TDs did this to prevent this group of Jawas from alerting other Jawas by radio. Had other Jawas learned that the Empire was looking for 3P0 and R2 then they might have either hid them to maybe sell to J The Hutt or maybe even destroy them to save themselves. My understanding is that Jawas are a relatively close nit species.

If anyone has played the expansion pack to The Force Unleashed then you have seen Star Killer in the same disguise.

3. TD changing either into or out of his Tusken disguised. Since they did not find the plans it is safe to say the search would continue. Also an interesting thought, maybe the TDs were still in disguise when they arrived at the Lars??

4 Possibly a TK with drop boxes carring an R2 unit. Could just be an artist error though.

5 Another artist error? A TD with an O2 generator.

For some reason I can not get image to display any larger. It does help to download and zoom in

This is a great painting in deed!

Minor "inaccuracies" are fine in this... it's a representation done by a great artist. It'd be like asking what's wrong in Michelangelo's "The Last Supper." ;)

And yeah, we know that the TD's had tricked the Jawas by what Obi-Wan says. Luke thinks it was sandpeople who did the "hit", but Obi-Wan knows differently.

Wow... this is so freakin' cool. B)

Nol , I think we all know the 'what' its just cool to see the 'how' it might have been done....

and since this is one of the definitive sites for all things Sandtrooper, I would love to hear what everyone thinks about the imagery.

BTW: I noticed in other paintings that Dave painted his TD with drop boxes (since the close up scenes reshot for the SE used ROTJ armor. I see him put drop boxes on and off all the time. :)

BTW: not to derail, but if anyone has any ideas for other TD scenes they'd like to see, but weren't shown in the films - let me know. I'd love to take a crack at concepting them.

I liked this pictured so much, I bought one... Dave pencilled in a small Jawa on it as well... Its one of his Artists proofs you can buy from his website... As for the inaccuracies, I'm not bothered, its just a cool pic...

I love the painting, and as far as some TK's at the scene...... isn't it possible there were more than one team searching and perhaps some guys from the fleet came down to investigate this site? I mean that's the vibe I got from the "Sandtrooper's Story" by Tyranus.

I started to criticize some of the concepts, but the more I thought of it the more likely this is how it went down. Note the trooper with helmet off as he's getting out of his Tuskin - sure enough you really can't wrap a helmet that way.

I think the troopers stripping down droids right there in the field fits well too. Uncle George said that the reason for the Dewbacks was that transports and trooper carriers are advanced tech and expensive, and the folks on the ground had to 'make do' as Tatoinne is really out in nowhere's-ville, and they had a lot of troopers spread out. This means they didn't have the luxury of hauling REMF tech's out by transport - the troops in the field had to know how to do everything themselves.

I see sandtroopers a bit like Army Rangers or Special Forces. Yes, all stormtroopers are "Airborne" or elite from the regular army in some fashion, but even in elite units there is the super elite, like LRRP, etc.

Terry - for concepts that are sandtrooper related, it would be cool to see them boarding the drop ship already dirty. I can't think they'd want to hit the sand w/o a little bit of camouflage to break out the outlines of their armor and take off the sheen.

• 3 years later...

Thanks bros, most appreciated!

Full album can be found here.

https://www.facebook...09202959&type=3

Posted Image

Thats really cool...! I've thought about doing something like this but I have been told that seeing through the Tusken mask is awful - real tunnel vision... Anyone have one and care to comment?

Yeah I've been thinking about getting the helmet and robe and then I'd be good to go, just for fun that is since it's not official.

Of corse I still need a MG-34 too :)

I seen some dressed like this at the last Celebration in Florida and been hooked on the idea since.