Boots: Shiny vs. Matte

Which one do you think?  

15 members have voted

1. 1.

• Shiny
    • Matte
    • Boot!

As I look for things to do while I'm waiting for my new armor, I thought I might matte finish my boots. I've seen it done, and I like the look of it. I figure doing a 600 grit wet sand should be enough to matte the shine, without going through the color. (white caboots) What kinda finish have you got on your kicks? Thoughts anyone?

What a sandtrooper with shiny shoes?! Clearly, they're NOT doing their job of patrolling the desert wastelands of MOS EISLEY!

Boss, give me their operating number and I will deal with them forthwith!

Guns

You can also take any watercolor paint, mix up a very light soultion slap it on, let it dry a little bitt then gently wipe it off. After that go mow the lawn in them or somthing.

I actuly go with the Gloss behind the dirt school of thought. Plus some of us have painted armor like mine. I have gloss white underneath all the dirt.

Boss, give me their operating number and I will deal with them forthwith!

Err, I, uh, um, (frantically sanding boots) I can't remember his #, I'll have to look into it. Yeah. Uh, I've got to go.

But really, shiny armor (under dirt of course), yes. But I think I'll be un-shining my boots.

• 3 weeks later...

You could also give them a once over with a clear matte spray. That will dull the shine and you won't have to risk sanding through the color. I imagine with a little bit of elbow grease and some white shoe polish you could restore the gloss if, for some insane reason, you wanted to.

I believe I read somewhere that the stormies on the screen had jodhpur boots that were a non-glossy leather.

I have seen pics of both glossy & non glossy boots, it's really a matter of me liking the matte a little better than the gloss. I haven't gotten around to sanding them yet, I plan on wet sanding with 800 grit, so it shouldn't damage the color, though I will be spot checking it first. I had a sprayed white pair of boots many moons ago, and it was chips-a-go-go, even with some prep work. So, I'm trying to avoid spraying them.