Save the Lars Homestead!

TK6682

Hello MEPD,

As some of you know, recently a group of us ventured to Tunisia to tour the Star Wars filming locations. This truly was a trip of a lifetime and no matter how much we all prepared for the impact that seeing these sights would have, none of us were prepared for the emotional punch in the gut when they came.

The highlight for many was visiting the iconic Lars Homestead Igloo. This igloo, rebuilt for Episode 2 in the exact spot as the original seen in ANH, still features the crater rim where Luke stood staring at the setting twin suns, pondering his destiny.

While most of us ran around like kids on Christmas morning, you could sense a different emotion from Mark Dermul and the other guys who had visited before.

Sadly, since their last trip in 2005 the igloo has degraded quite a bit. The left side has large holes in it and the whole structure seems to be crumbling under the abuse of the Tunisian sun and sand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

We decided that something should be done, so a group of us led by Mark and fellow pioneers Mark Cox and Terry Cooper have started the Save the Lars Homestead fund.

Our goal is to raise enough money to refurbish the dome and repair it to the state it was in for Episode 2 filming. This way, future decades of pioneers can come and experience the magic of sunset there as we did.

For more information you can visit the site:

www.savelars.com

We are soliciting donations, large and small, to help save this piece of history. In addition, Mark has updated his great book, complete with GPS coordinates, maps and details of the filming locations (as well as some narrative regarding the rowdy folks he was cursed with on the trip, LOL). He is donating $5 for every book sold to the fund.

We routinely spend money on Star Wars merchandise because we love these films. Even $5 can go a long way towards helping us reach our goals.

There's also a Facebook group dedicated to this which is found here -

Save the Lars Homestead

Thanks for reading and I hope some of you can help us out.

I was there last february... and the trip was amazing! It was my third time in Tunisia and I could notice that the sets were more and more broken... I thought about making a found to keep it clean but had no clue how to do it... and you did! Great!

Here is the set in February 2010.

My link

My link

The Lars homestead is not the only place to be kept clean... The cantina outside building and Obiwan's hermitage should be restored too... (they are situated in Ajim, Djerba).

During the battle between Quigonjin and Darth Maul on Tatooin you could see big sandy rocks in the background. Those rocks are about 300 meters away from the Mos Eisley village set between Nefta and Tozeur. There are actually naturally made out of sand but they could be deteriorated. Last time I went people wrote their name on it... what a shame.

Then just right near those rocks you can see the set where the scene during which Anakin started the pod engin for the first time... unfortunately the set has been almost destroyed by sand...

There are so many places to keep clean!!! So that is really great people started to do things in order to do so!!!

BUT HEY! STOP CLIMBING ON THINGS YOU WANT TO REMAIN!!!!!!! STUPID TOURISTS!!!!

Posted Image

Image from the site!!!! NO WAY!

FYI: The side of the sunset is much more stable due to the direction of the winds. Hence you see more damage the pictured side. This was for a posed photo the individuals were not up there long.

Amazing photos and sad to hear about the lack of upkeep. One would think there would be some way to incent the local powers that be to maintain the place once they realize what potential the place has.

Yeah, The first thing they should do is plant a big *** sign saying "KEEP OFF"!!!!! The sun and wind does some damage but having 5-6 people sitting on top of an already weaken structure will only speed up any further damage to the dome. I will be watching this and will help with what I can.

FYI: The side of the sunset is much more stable due to the direction of the winds. Hence you see more damage the pictured side. This was for a posed photo the individuals were not up there long.

So what??? It is already weak! This is totally stupid! Do you climb on stuff in a museum or whatever which supposed to be maintained or rebuild???

How many people on the roof? How many kilos??? It's just a wood frame with metal grill and plaster... you have to be dumb to climb on this when you are supposed to be a Star Wars fan... Those people are maybe like the fireman that sets fire to become the hero who poured water on it???

Erase that pic from the website... it DOES NOT make it serious at all.

1st: Do not talk to me as if i was a child.

2nd: If you want to help do so. How about making suggestions instead of orders.

BTW: who are you? Mr I only posted 2 times in the same thread without a profile? I sense sock puppet.

If you want to talk smack, do it like a man.

*Besides, I agree with you about climbing on it, that is why i did not.

Others do not share the same ideas.

So what??? It is already weak! This is totally stupid! Do you climb on stuff in a museum or whatever which supposed to be maintained or rebuild???

How many people on the roof? How many kilos??? It's just a wood frame with metal grill and plaster... you have to be dumb to climb on this when you are supposed to be a Star Wars fan... Those people are maybe like the fireman that sets fire to become the hero who poured water on it???

Erase that pic from the website... it DOES NOT make it serious at all.

1st: Do not talk to me as if i was a child.

2nd: If you want to help do so. How about making suggestions instead of orders.

BTW: who are you? Mr I only posted 2 times in the same thread without a profile? I sense sock puppet.

If you want to talk smack, do it like a man.

*Besides, I agree with you about climbing on it, that is why i did not.

Others do not share the same ideas.

OK,

So mister felt attacked? I am sorry just having posted 2 times on this forum, MY mistake... I have been watching it for a while now, I did not post because I only own a MR bucket, being modded, no armor, nothing... SO I did not express myself before. BUT watching this pic just made me mad. Sorry if I was aggressive to you or what so ever...

Who am I? Ok, I am Julien, French living in Japan, I have been a SW fan since I was 6 or so... I wish someday I could have, just like you, a screen accurate TD armor... that's it...

BUT I STILL HATE PEOPLE CLIMBING ON STUFF WHICH ARE NOT THEIRS... so I would be very happy if the fact that it would be better not to climb on the dome was quoted with the pic... that is all...

Felt attacked.... ABSOLUTELY!

1. Traveled to Africa to see this "with my own eyes"

2. took specific measurements to rebuild it,

3. Researched the exact materials used in construction

4. Made a vow after leaving the night with a group of newly formed friends from around the globe to restore it for future generations to enjoy.

5. Established and launched a world wide effort

6. Currently in negotiation with Tunisian Government about doing more...

7. Raised over $1700 in 2 days to support this cause

I ask you this. Would you feel attacked?

Yes I would fell being attacked.... by the fact that people are climbing on what I am trying to rebuild......!!!

What I said was not dedicated to YOU but to people that should behave...

Personally I am right behind you to support your honorable action and if I had money RIGHT NOW I would donate for sure...

Regards.

a worthy cause mate! i am friends with terry cooper,and he had a great experience in tunisia visiting the set locations! B) ,to be honest,i thought uncle george may have helped to preserve this and other amazing star wars locations in tunisia,as it is a part of the dream that he has created for us all :) ,but unfortunately,it is so sad that it has degraded so much in such a short period of time!!! :(

i have supported this cause on facebook,through terry informing me!