Pandatrooper's Pack build

pandatrooper

Just thought I’d start posting up the progress of my backpack build. It’s based on the “Move Along” / pack #3, as the orange TD in the Cantina is wearing it and I have since identified that he is the “Stop that ship” trooper in this thread here:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=6769

That being said, here’s what I’m using for my backpack:

PVC pipe frame

Custom sewn straps / padding

Crashmann seed trays, mushrooms, mortar tube, panel, exhaust port

Radio shack tool box

Tupperware lid radar dish

Grand and Toy (office supply) screen wipes bottles *I like the “straight” shape of them

Waiting for the new Crashmann radio faceplate / knobs

Gordonator siphon / cistern

While I was waiting for the Crashmann parts to arrive, I already built a PVC frame. It’s been sanded and glued together, then primered and painted with Krylon primer and Satin black.

Posted Image

I used ¾ inch and ½ inch aluminum bars for supporting the trays. I will rivet them to the pack frame. I’m trying to save as much weight as possible, so I’m using 1/8 inch rivets where I can as opposed to nuts and bolts and washers.

Posted Image

I have reinforced the areas where the bars will attach to the inner trays, by gluing in 2mm ABS plastic. I will rivet the bars to the frame, then rivet the trays to the bars.

Posted Image

I trimmed the seed trays and sanded them, then painted them with Krylon primer and Satin black as well. I used Rustoleum Satin Slate blue for the lower trays.

Test fitted the trays, everything is lining up nicely.

Posted Image

Underside of the exhaust port, base and little black triangles. I used some PVC pipe I had at home, which was a thinner schedule than the Crashmann kit ones, it was about half the weight (I know it’s not a lot, but any weight I can shave off – the better). I hot glued the PVC pipe into place.

Posted Image

Exhaust port assembly completed (will add the black zip tie later)

Posted Image

Exhaust port, mushrooms and toolbox before painting. I bonded over the holes in the tool box.

Posted Image

Exhaust port painted

Posted Image

Wipes bottles and stinger before painting

Posted Image

After painting. I haven’t painted the cap of the stinger yet as I am waiting for some parts to complete it.

Posted Image

Test placement of upper tray parts, with painted toolbox, mushroom, wipes bottle and exhaust port.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next steps: custom shoulder straps, modding the stinger, and modding / mounting the cistern!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone, glad you like the build so far!

Some great progress the past few days. It's mostly been spent on Gordonator's cistern, and the radio. I've created a knowledge sharing thread / how to on how I approached Gordon's cistern here. I hope this is helpful for those that have one.

How to mod / install Gordonator's cistern

Here's some updated images of the completed cistern. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also worked a bit on the radio. I know ultimately, I will be ordering one of the new Crashmann radios, but I thought I would build this one anyways as a backup / one to use in the meantime.

Posted Image

I trimmed the radio edge and left a 3/4" thickness to the sides. I then cut 3/4" from the radio box sides before assembling it. I used the trimmings along with some "L" shaped profile styrene to assemble the box, to create an inner "lip". I know it's not necessary, I just found that it fits better - almost like a cookie tin.

Posted Image

I'll probably use a hinge / rage earth magnets to close the radio box. I've also cut the hole for the dial. I have "something special" planned for the dial. :)

Posted Image

Stay tuned for more updates on the stinger!

Moving on to the stinger. I removed the foam, cut out the stinger dome cap, and painted the stinger Satin Slate blue. I also painted the top (or bottom) of the stinger black by masking it off with tape, and spraying top the satin black.

I found this plastic toilet connection pipe at a local home improvement store for a $1.50, so I thought I would try it out for the stinger tip.

Posted Image

I drilled the hole in the faucet cover to the same diameter as the toilet pipe. Then forced the pipe through and hot glued it on both ends. It’s solid and not going to come off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I applied some hot glue to a section of toilet tubing about 2” from the top of the faucet cover, and also shot some glue around the inside rim of the stinger cap and slide it down the toilet tube. The hot glue will hold the stinger cap in place, and also helps stabilize the toilet pipe.

Posted Image

I then cut the short section of black tubing that Crashmann includes in his backpack kits to 3.5” and test fit it over the toilet pipe, and whaddya know – it fits perfectly over the toilet pipe! I simply applied some E6000 glue to the toilet pipe before sliding the tubing on to hold it in place.

Posted Image

I trimmed the toilet pipe flush with the Crashmann tubing, and I used a Dremel to cut that funky notch in the end of the stinger that I’ve seen in various reference pics.

I’ll paint this tip black, put the foam back in the faucet cover (remember to cut a round hole in the bottom of the foam to make room for the toilet pipe end that’s been hot glued in place)and the stinger is complete. I’ll use some simple aluminum brackets to hold the stinger in position under the lower seed trays.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking very good as all ways Terry.

i all ways check your topics, as i know you all way make top class work.

Once again, congrats whit your nice accurate pack coming up.

Keep up the good work bro ;)

Some updates:

Attached frame cross bars via rivets

Posted Image

Attached the stinger to the lower tray

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I added an L shaped aluminum bar inside the lower tray for more support for the stinger. It's very stable now.

Posted Image

Attached the exhaust port via bolts

Posted Image

Upper seed trays were attached seamlessly by way of L brackets mounted inside the upper tray, and zip ties running through the lower trays and around the frame cross bars. Works great!

How to: attach trays seamlessly

Posted Image

Posted Image

Added some detail to the radio. I'll be getting the new Crashmann faceplate, but this one will have some details and holes drilled in the grill for now.

Posted Image

Made some custom backpack straps. They are 2" webbing, with loop velcro underneath. I will make some pads that are modular and can velcro into place. I'll be adding a sternum strap with a quick release buckle

Posted Image

*Note: I find that the stinger "sticks out" too much against my butt, because the cross bar at the bottom of the pack is too "low" for the Crashmann trays. This makes the pack stick out like crazy, and I'm not liking it.

I've decided to either extend the height of the cross bar, or take everything apart, and make a new frame with a higher cross bar to make more room for the stinger.

• 3 weeks later...

Made taller frame, cut a notch out for Gordon's cistern

Posted Image

Stinger sits much better now

Posted Image

Painted the frame black, and installed the trays with the zip tie method in my tutorial

Posted Image

Added the should straps

Posted Image

Completed the shotgun shells, attached using rivets. Installed the mesh, backed with foam core.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Moving onto the mortar tube, took a slightly different approach. I used Crashmann's clear "shipping tube" but filled it with expansion foam (for insulating door gaps) to make it stiffer / stronger. This has the benefits of the a light weight tube that is lighter than ABS or PVC, but still very rigid.

I used 2" ABS connectors installed inside the tube at mounting points. The bolt will pass through the frame, into the mortar tube, past the ABS connector, and into a nut hot glued into place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also glued the bolt for the radar dish inside the tube and adjusted it for length to reach to the outer dish (Tupperware lid)

I made a simple "I" beam out of foam core / hot glue to make the tube more rigid.

Posted Image

I extended the tube on the expansion foam applicator to reach into the mortar tube.

Posted Image

Start spreading the foam slowly! It will make a mess, so have newspapers handy and do this outside (fumes). Only fill the tube about half way on each end and let it expand and spill out.

Posted Image

Make sure to let the foam cure. I rushed it and put the caps on about 1/2 hour after the tube was full, but I found that even 2 days later, the foam at the ends was not completely cured since it's air tight inside the tube.

Don't worry about foam cured on the outside of the tube, you can easily cut it off with an exato blade and sand it smooth.

Posted Image

After the foam is fully cured, I glued the caps on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Painted the tube black. I left one spot masked out for the TD control panel (I don't like to glue things on paint, it's a stronger bond if it's plastic on plastic)

Posted Image

Mortar tube installed with dish attached. Everything is ROCK SOLID!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the "Laboratory pipe", I just eyeballed the dimensions from the screen cap of the Stop that Ship! trooper inside the cantina when he crosses in front of Han.

I used some PVC pipe and some reducers.

Posted Image

Sanded and ready to paint.

Posted Image

Test fit

Posted Image

I painted it, and fired some screws through the frame into the lab pipe. I also added some zip ties for strength / detail

Posted Image

I've been adding more detail to the original Crashmann vac formed radio faceplate. I cut out a hole for the big knob and backed it with some scrap ABS, to make the opening recessed. Are those new knobs?!?

Posted Image

Ding dong! Look what arrives in the mail today! :)

Posted Image

That's all for now. All that's needed is to finish the radio, and a little weathering and the pack is complete!

Looks freaking cool.

Two small things.

The bee stinger need to be shorter.

And the small box where there small tube comes up, whit the metal ring on, you need to add another small cut out tube over it, and then cut it /.

Keep up the good work bro.

Congrats whit the radio, can´t wait to get mine and add it on as well :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks guys! Glad everyone likes the build so far.

Pretty much done the pack now. Fixed a couple things based on Rolf's feedback:

Fixed exhaust tube (added a tapered overlay section and zip tie)

Posted Image

Shortened stinger (removed approx. 40% of the length to match Rolf's pack for reference)

Posted Image

Finished the radio. I decided to finish my first radio, the Crashmann vac formed plate first before diving into the new one. This one will have an amp / speaker inside, playing the TD loop. I painted it black to match the other pack parts, added the new knobs from Crashmann, installed the switches, added mesh behind the speaker opening, added a plexiglass dial with print out behind it (I have something else planned for the other Crashmann radio) :)

Posted Image

It's totally troopable now, I only plan to weather it a bit, and it should be good for deployment (let me know if anything won't pass and I'l fix it!)

Some shots of the finished pack

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image