Chicks Dig Scars, The war wound thread

So over on C.NET there is a thread about how hot, Hot Glue is.

So far this week , I have been cut by my dremel, burnt by my hot glue guns numerous times,

had a small peace of abs fly into my eye when I was too lazy to put on my eye protector while using my drill(don't try this at home kids) and nicked the back of my hand with a belt sander. I also smacked my finger with a hammer while fixing a snap. I am guessing that I was never blessed the grace of a ballerina but I do have a pretty high pain threshold since none of this seems to slow me down even for a min.

Man thank goodness I don't own a vacuum form machine or I might need to update my will.

Don't you just love our hobby?

... when I was too lazy to put on my eye protector while using my drill

What do you mean? You put them on otherwise?

Wow... I wish I could use "too lazy" as an excuse... it's more like, "too stupid" in my case... :P

I've done pretty much all of that too, but I have yet to cut myself with a blade of any kind in all my years of various hobby-ing though!

I thank the semester long class on "X-ACTOâ„¢ knife use" I took at the Kansas City Art Institute in the early 90's. B)

Lol....ya I've gotten some pretty good cut here and there. One time I was cutting a piece of pastiche an the the utility knife slipped and gauged my finger....so I wrapped it in duct tape while I continued to work....bled through so when I got upstairs it looked like I cut a finger off

Lol....ya I've gotten some pretty good cut here and there. One time I was cutting a piece of pastiche an the the utility knife slipped and gauged my finger....so I wrapped it in duct tape while I continued to work....bled through so when I got upstairs it looked like I cut a finger off

Oooooo nice one! I did a similar thing with a Leatherman tool. Sliced right into my thumb while cutting some leather, I started to bleed like a stuck pig I used some 2" gaff tape and some crazy glue to make it better.. I was traveling at the time so I didn't feel like going to the local ER which had free range chicken in the waiting room I kid you not...

I've cut myself with an exacto knife while working on a Star Wars model which is a no no for me as I have a bleeding problem :( (Which is now controlled with medicine thank God) ;)

burnt my hand badly while working on a Darth Vader belt...I grabbed the heated end of a hot soldering iron and had a long 3 inch blister on the palm of my hand for a week.... :mellow:

Shoved a needle up my finger nail while sewing a Civil War 1860's soldier jacket and also while making a womens Civil War Ball Gown. :angry:

While working on my Storm trooper armor I glued my hand to the armor (Don't ask it's a long story....) Thanks to God I got it off... :blink:

Had pinch /bite marks on my arms & legs while trying on my armor (any one got a solution for those???)

I could go on but I won't have time for that!!!

ShortTrooper (Diana)

Lol , My fiance cut himself open to the tendon on his finger with an xacto knife. Needed a couple stitches.

Ripped open a finger once myself with a really large safety pin that was in my armor bag. stuck my hand in it to get something out and the pin was open and it went into my finger and I yelped and pulled my hand out really fast and it pulled through the skin and left a nasty little flap

Burn myself all the time but nothing thats left too bad a scar. (except an eraser burn on the top of my hand from that dumb school bus game of letting someone take an eraser to your hand until you say ouch (guy got tired before I said ouch lol)

On the opposite hand, I have a fork prong scar from my cousin stabbing me with a fork when I was like 2-3.

So far though I havent cut myself working with xacto knives or chefs knives even back as a chef *knock on wood*

Got a little patch of road rash though on my back right thigh from roller blading as a teenager. Went down a hill and hit a speedbump and flew about 20 feet before sliding the rest of the way down the hill on my butt. My brother said it looked awesome. :/

Hit my knuckle with a hammer as a kid helping build my dads house too. *as I'm looking around for more scars to explain... LOL*

Broke a clavical playing football in elementary school too :/ I dont particularly dig any of my scars lol *shrug* at least my boyfriend doesnt notice most of them anyways LOL

Hrmm.. This post would be far too long if I went into war wounds from outside armor making. xD

Just armor-related (in the last year):

- sliced two fingers fairly deeply with a fillet knife while I was trimming a rubber backplate for ODST. Luckily, didn't have to get stitches, but I did get some pretty good blood 'weathering' on the armor. :rolleyes:

- plenty of little nicks from exacto knifes

- don't know how many times I've glued my fingers together or to armor with ABS glue or superglue. Luckily, the ABS glue stopped burning. I dunno if that's a good or a bad thing though.

- half inch sized scar on my stomach from trying to use a dremel and a power sander at the same time with my clone. Needless to say, that shirt has a whole in it now.

- have done the abs-particles-in-the-eye routine. Not fun. Promptly invested ina pair of cheap eye protection from Lowes.

- Luckily, the armor bites don't usually last more than a day or so now. Just from regular wear, the edges have worn down and my tolerance is a bit better as well.

- about a half inch dremel-wheel sized scar on my left hand. I blame a cat and trying to multitask with glue for that distraction.

:blink:

How the heck are you still alive dsonik?... lol

I was just remembering supergluing my eye OPEN (not closed, cause I thought fast enough to hold the eye open so my eyelashes glued to my forehead lol) but now my story isnt nearly as interesting.

a WHOLE bike pedal??

LOL not nearly as interesting...

I was working on my X-Wing pilot helmet, gluing the mohawk strip down and I had some CA glue and accelerating spray stuff. I picked up the glue to start on the strip after spending a while lining it up and taping it down at the back so I could work on only the front for the moment and the glue wouldnt come out.

I had pressed a little hard and nothing came out so I spun it around to look to see what kind of clog I was dealing with and the pressure had built up enough from that initial squeeze that the clog came out and it squirted a line of glue right up at my right eye.

So I said $#!7 and grabbed my eyelids and held them wide open and ran to the shower and put my head in it to rinse my eye out, still holding it open. When I pulled my head back out of the shower and let go, my eye wouldnt shut. the bottom eyelashes and top eyelashes were glued down to my face. my fingers had been in the way to flush the glue off so it set since it was behind the fingers LOL

I showed my brother and Mom since I was actually at their place when I did it. Freaked my mom out but she let me borrow her little grooming scissors things and I calmly cut most of my eyelashes from my eye, where they stayed glued to my face but at least I could close my eye :lol: took a while to pluck all the glued down eyelashes off my face

eye looked a bit weird for a while til it grew the lashes back out!

Non costuming related, but I've been shot 3 times and stabbed twice, oh......

Hey bruv, are you a cat with 9 lives or something? ;)

Nothing serious on my side here apart from the regular cuts and nicks on my fingers with the cutter and X-Acto blade! :D

like many of us i had tons of small accidents in my childhood and as a halfpipe skateboarder even more and i love stories like that as a privat person, really funny and so....

BUT :mad:

working as a male operation room nurse in a hospital with a big plastic- and particulary handsurgery i hate all those stupid :6: cutting themself while working on their hobby stuff!!!! :lol:

(i had to go to hospital once too while working at my girlfriends hamsters cage with a x-acto... almost lost the tip of my fore finger...)

• 2 weeks later...

Working on some of my fibreglass helmets here, I cut 2 of my knuckles open with a cutting disk on my dremel. Once seperated the joint in my left 1st finger when a stanley blade went into it. Also sliced my thumb open with a stanley blade. Scars from all...

... Once seperated the joint in my left 1st finger when a stanley blade went into it.

ouch!

That sounds painful.

Well while taking some picture to submit to my GML this weekend, I leaned on a chair (yea u see this one coming) to adjust my shoe. Well the chair was on a hard wood floor it kicked out and I slammed in full armor into the ground wrist 1st. I did one of those count to 5 and see if my wrist is broken but thank goodness it wasn't. The armor took the fall like a champ too.

BUT it would have made a great youtube moment

Had a few injuries in my time but the dumbest one to date was two weeks ago. I usually wear my RayBans everywhere outside, I'm blind without em. Well this particular day I was working inside a dark room, went outside at a steady pace headed for the scrap wood stack, NO Glasses, Bright white concrete blinding me, and walked into a piece of plywood sitting on top of a cabinet. The corner of it went right into my right eye and instantly I was thinking, "who is hitting me?" It sucked! :lol: Gave myself a nice little shiner and my eye socket was tender for a week. Plus I had that "bloody red eyeball" business happening

Only better one was Thanksgiving morning when I was fixing some plumbing before the fam came over, went out to the truck, opened the flip top box, was rumaging around for a basket strainer kit, and the little hydraulic arm failed on my fliptop lid. The corner came down across my forehead. Same thing....."who is hitting me this time?" :lol: and I spent Thanksgiving looking like I had participated in a knock down drag out. :blush: