Pandatrooper's ATA TD build

pandatrooper

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opposite thigh also needed some blending.

Posted Image

As you can see, the ATA thighs which are derived from the TE thighs (ROTJ tour suit) have different tops. The right thigh is longer and pointier and the left thigh is rounder and shorter. I can't extend the left thigh without major mods but I can make it look like the right, and incorporate the "A New Hope" style notches seen in the film.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I started by drawing a pencil guide line to where I would be forming the new edge / notch. I also cut a small portion of the original return edge so that I could bend it easier. This will be trimmed later anyways, so it doesn't matter if I trim it first - just makes it easier to manipulate.

Posted Image

Using the heat sealing iron to bend the top for the return edge

Posted Image

Terry,

Could you tell us a little more about that heat sealing iron you used. Maybe even share a picture of it?

I'm starting to make plans in my head to modify my armor this way too.

Thx a lot bro!

Your build is really inspiring!!

Saludos

Juan, hang tight. I'm planning to make a video for doing return edges. I get lots of requests and PM's for a how to video, so I will demonstrate on a scrap (unless of course someone wants to send me a free set of armor to demonstrate on) :)

Juan, hang tight. I'm planning to make a video for doing return edges. I get lots of requests and PM's for a how to video, so I will demonstrate on a scrap (unless of course someone wants to send me a free set of armor to demonstrate on) :)

THX bro!!

That would be great!

:)

Saludos.

• 2 weeks later...

man this is a awesome build! how long did you have to wait for kit after you ordered it?

You should contact ATA directly (see the "where to buy armor" threads) for time estimates. It depends on when he's doing a run, availability, etc.

Some updates on the weathering. The armor and helmet weathering are done, I actually finished them a couple weeks ago but didn't post the images. I'm doing some more fine tuning on the helmet.

Here's pics of the armor using the tutorials I created here:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7290

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7289

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a cool comparison image of the Original STS trooper still from the film (from Looksirdroids) compared with my armor on the right, and the middle image is a digitally tweaked version where I have added lighting and film grain to match the movie still.

Posted Image

I'll probably still do some minor adjustments to get the weathering to match a little closer, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. :)

Thanks Noel!

Some pics of the helmet tube stripes and weathering

I created some custom templates for the tube stripes by using screen captures, and then used distortion and warp filters in photoshop to recreate the tube stripes.

Here's a photo of the templates applied to the helmet

Posted Image

Airbrushed 2 coats using Humbrol paints

Posted Image

Very pleased with the results!

Posted Image

Check out these comparison pics with the original STS trooper helmet and my finished tube stripes

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

Some more pics. I have added the paint chip markings (I have a trick coming for these) based on the original helmet.

I also figured out a cool trick to make the "paint runs". I wrapped some aluminum foil around the small end of my heat gun, and pressed the foil into a very small cone shape. Then I heated the spot where I wanted the paint drip to be, and pressed the plastic out from underneath using a round head rivet. On the outside, I used a small strip of aluminum that I cut a slot into, like a horseshoe shape to use as a "form". So it's kind of like "mini-vacuforming".

Here's a few images of the paint chips and simulated paint runs, all in the same locations as the original helmet of course.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hard to see in this picture, but the helmet has a few of the signature paint runs on the sides of the "nose".

Posted Image

First pass with Burnt umber acrylic weathering

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After buffing / daubing with the terry cloth rag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Second pass with my simulated black / oil paint mixture. You can see that the paint runs / "bumps" are starting to show up more now. These pictures are bit deceptive, they look more brown in these pictures due to the halogen lamp I used to light the photo, it's more desaturated in person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome work Panda. Your dedication and eye for detail is amazing. I am guessing you do something creative for a living? Do you work in film or television?

Thanks Bryan! I've been a professional artist / art director / creative director designer in the games industry for the last 15 years. Before that, I did some TV / commercial work and I was also a classically trained graphic designer / illustrator. :)

Looks great, Panda. Where did you get the stand used for the helmet in your pictures?

There's a member here called "Woodchuck' that is a genius with wood working. He makes blasters, etc. and created these great stands. I asked for mine to have the Imperial Cog logo as the base with a gunmetal finish. :)

You can find more info here

http://woodchuck.imperial-web.com/category/creations/helmet-stands/

There's a member here called "Woodchuck' that is a genius with wood working. He makes blasters, etc. and created these great stands. I asked for mine to have the Imperial Cog logo as the base with a gunmetal finish. :)

You can find more info here

http://woodchuck.imperial-web.com/category/creations/helmet-stands/

Thanks for posting the link, Panda.