Pandatrooper's ATA TD build

pandatrooper

I've finally started my TD build! After 2 TK builds now on FISD, I've decided to also go "dirty". I'd like to have an alternate costume, and one of the most impactful scenes for me as a kid was the Docking Bay 94 battle. So this build will be based on the "Stop that ship!" trooper.

I've purchased an ATA kit (TD) and started assembly this past week.

Here is the kit so far. It's made of HIPS which has different qualities than the 2 ABS kits I've built, but it's been great to work on so far.

Posted Image

Helmet kit

Posted Image

The pull is very sharp on the face, great detail captured

Posted Image

I knew that the screen lineage kits (TE and the like) had specific / asymmetrical arm parts. This photo shows which parts make up the left arm and the right arm.

The right arm has a distinct square "notch" in the arm pit area. The right forearm is also more "straight". The left bicep is more curved and has pointed corners, and the left forearm is more curvy than the right.

Posted Image

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started with the biceps as that's usually the easiest part. I used Plastic weld to butt join the seams and glued in an inner shim. I used the ridges as guides to accommodate 15mm cover strips.

Posted Image

Forearms assembled, also to accommodate 15mm cover strips. The forearms are slightly big (opening) for me, but I didn't want to lose the feature of the ridge / seam, so I kept it as is.

Posted Image

Forearm with cover strips being glued on. I used E6000 here to give me a little more working time.

Posted Image

On to the thighs, I trimmed the fronts and assembled them like the arms. Glued the two halves via a butt join with Plastic weld, then glued an inner shim inside.

Posted Image

After the front seam cured, I test fitted them and made a pencil mark where the back seam will be. I left the formed "ridge" on the outside piece of the thigh, so that it was maintained. It will look good with a cover strip added afterwards

Posted Image

Taped the back up for a final test fit

Posted Image

The back of this thigh needed some trimming at the top and a return edge, so I busted out the heat sealing iron and smoothed it out. A little sanding, and it blends in nicely

Posted Image

After heating

Posted Image

After sanding

Posted Image

Opposite thigh also needed some blending.

Posted Image

As you can see, the ATA thighs which are derived from the TE thighs (ROTJ tour suit) have different tops. The right thigh is longer and pointier and the left thigh is rounder and shorter. I can't extend the left thigh without major mods but I can make it look like the right, and incorporate the "A New Hope" style notches seen in the film.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I started by drawing a pencil guide line to where I would be forming the new edge / notch. I also cut a small portion of the original return edge so that I could bend it easier. This will be trimmed later anyways, so it doesn't matter if I trim it first - just makes it easier to manipulate.

Posted Image

Using the heat sealing iron to bend the top for the return edge

Posted Image

Bending the inside of the left thigh, using the pencil line as a guide

Posted Image

Here's the inside of the left thigh after sanding

Posted Image

Outside of the left thigh "notch". I decided to make it slightly less severe than the film, just a personal choice!

Posted Image

Here, I've just taped some 20mm cover strips in place to show what the thighs will look like. I also modified the right thigh top slightly by flattening the top, and adding more of a notch to match the left thigh. Comparison of before and after. Pretty happy with they way they turned out. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Noel. I took your advice on the thighs and just decided to modify them. :)

And yes, HIPS is VERY easy to work with. I'm curious as to how it will feel when trooping, as I'm so used to ABS now.

Thanks Noel. I took your advice on the thighs and just decided to modify them. :)

Cool! B)

And yes, HIPS is VERY easy to work with. I'm curious as to how it will feel when trooping, as I'm so used to ABS now.

It's VERY light weight! You really won't believe it!

More advice... I'd take the time and do an "edge" on the inside of the legs before you troop in it like I did to make it tougher. That's the place it's bound to crack if it does at all. I'm going to actually reinforce the whole thing on my ESB. But, honestly, it only cracks on places that you put constant pressure. I had that one leg crack and that's been all... so you could wait and see how it does.

It's awesome stuff I think. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Terry, now thats some sweet ideas and work you have showed us once again.

The leg looks much more accurate now, congrats whit this great come out.

I think i will try to do the same, on my new upcoming TE2 suit.

What about the going down stripe under the 3 TD dots, will you made that too... or just add the dots.

Cheers

Thanks guys! Rolf, I will probably leave those little stripes off for now. I'm not super tall, and my torso (real torso, not the armor) is short enough as is, so most of that is covered. I might add it later after everything is done, just before the weathering.

Here's some updates!

Finished gluing the finishing strips to the thighs. I'm quite happy with them!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also added the thigh battery packs. The bottom edge is rounded of course.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Arms have been completed, with snap plates and elastic attaching the shoulder to bicep to forearm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Because I'm not super tall, I cut the cod for more maneuverability and removed 3/4" from the height. I have done this on my last 2 builds, and it just fits me better and no one notices. :)

Posted Image

I did something a little different for the sniper plate. I cut a piece of styrene the exact shape, and riveted this to the shin front first. Then I made an inner "ledge" inside the sniper plate, using L profile plastic and some square styrene tubing

Posted Image

You can see the inner edge here

Posted Image

Sniper plate backing riveted in place. I glued an extra 2mm shim to the back before riveting and adding backing washers (important!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gluing the sniper plate to the backing plate with E6000 and clamping in place. Surely there must be some award for using the most clamps to hold 1 piece in place? :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished sniper knee

Posted Image

*Funny story re: the sniper plate. I had the ATA one set aside, and the day I wanted to assemble it, I lost it! I looked around the house for days. I decided to just use an AM one I had left over from my AM build. Of course the day after I finished the sniper plate, I found the ATA one inside my helmet! bah!

Finished torso

Posted Image

Inner strapping / harness system. I used velcro and not snap plates for the kidney to cod as the snaps made the butt stick out more for some reason. Not too concerned about it.

Posted Image

The "Han" rivet on the right side

Posted Image

The 6 rivets on the left. I will fill these and paint them later

Posted Image

White elastic shoulder straps connecting the chest to back. I will weather these later too.

Posted Image

Great build bro!

This is coming out awesome.

I like a lot the way you attached the sniper plate, and the work on the thighs is awesome!

Also, the strapping system is looking really good.

It just make me want to start a new armor!

But that wont happen just yet.

hehehe...

Saludos

Every time it is more difficult to find new ways to improve our armors and kits.

For me, this thread has given me a new perspective and new ideas on what could be done to a kit to improve it.

Great work!

And very inspiring!!

Thx for sharing.

Saludos

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates. Worked on the belt armor, cut out and trimmed the edges. I also used an extra piece of styrene and glued it behind the belt armor for more strength. I bent the belt evenly in sections using the tutorial I created here:

How to get a good heat bend on your belt

Belt bent in even sections

Posted Image

I also sewed my canvas belt by folding a few sections of canvas over and sewing the edges. I added a 7” Velcro closure on the back. I also added a few sections of sewn Velcro on the sides under the belt to support the pouches that I will add later.

Posted Image

Here’s a test fit of the belt on the torso armor. I also added the snaps on the underside of the front and ends of the belt so that the belt “snaps” into position like the screen used ones.

Posted Image

Pretty incredible Terry! You're doing everyone a service by doing such a great tutorial.

The places where I've had HIPS split is actually not on the limbs, but along the cod (which you may not get since you detached it), and at the top of the ab plate.

Thanks Noel and Paul!

I'm going to be placing some strategic padding at the top of the ab section, so that my chest puts less strain on it. I've also cut the cod as you noticed, so hoping that helps with addressing stress cracks, etc.

I might take a crack at the weathering this weekend, as well as starting the helmet. I'll also post some updates to the pouch I plan to use, and I've started on the backpack now too!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd try to make my own pauldron. I will be ordering a Trooper1 pauldron later, but I needed one sooner for submission, so did my best with the materials I had on hand. I think it turned out "OK", but it was hard to get it right. I appreciate the work and craftsmanship Trooper1 puts into his!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tried out 2 types of foam to see what worked best

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've started working on the helmet and I'll be starting the weathering soon too. Stay tuned!

You are one talent dude for sure, very nice work.

Trooper1 and i made he´s pattern/design together, its one of the best out there i think.

But yours looks super sweet too bro.

Keep up the good work Mr. A+ trooper :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image