About How much does it cost to build a backpack?

Hawk

I have had some tell me that I can build one for $50 from stuff at walmart, but also heard that's not even close to how much it'd cost.

So approximately how much does it cost to build your own from scratch?

I need a backpack for the Heavy Weapons Trooper Im making. It doesnt have to be screen accurate per se. Just cool looking. :D

Thanks

mmm...

As always, it will depend in how much you want to spend actually.

I would say you can build a pretty good looking pack from stuff at walmart and the home depot for about 35-50 USD.

I build my firt pack for less than that, after currency convertion it was about 25USD (I live in Mexico).

But then, If you want to go accurate and even madly accurate and expensive you "could" go as far as (with prices and material available in the past but maybe not now):

-in the neighborhood 100 for finished radio replica (is this right?)

-20 to 50 for a Boy scout backpack on ebay

-35 to 55 for seedtrays

-Around 60 for other parts

-5 to 35 for a stow and go tupperware on ebay

-10 to 25 USD for decals

-25 for a 99% accurate cistern syphon from Singapure

And then...

Add some more money if you want it to have an amplifier with a radio loop or whatever, paint, oilr/air filter part, straps, etc.

So...

Check this, it should give you good ideas not only on how building it, but what pieces to use :

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5225

Also, check this for the radio:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5779

And... check with Crashmann, he has the best kit for BP building, and pretty much what most of us use for our packs.

Finally, Chrashmann and Zenix are working in a new ubber accurate radio to make a kit available. It might be worth it have a look and consider it as the best option soon to be available:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=5991

If there is a more exact info, or if I am wrong with estimates, pls post!

It has been a while since I built my pack, and have upgraded a few pieces afterwards.

Hope it helps.

:)

Saludos

OOOHHH!!! Sorry, only now I read that you dont mind accuracy that much. I will leave the message as it was as it could be useful anyway.

I would say... you could get a pretty decent BP from stuff at home depot and walmart for 35-50, and adding maybe an extra 15 wouldnt hurt.

Just make a diagram of what you want, or print a photo from a good reference, and go to the stores and start loooking for stuff. Thats super fun and if you are careful and take your time, you could save a lot of money.

Saludos

Edited by iconoclasta_88
Misread first post.

a HWT backpack wont cost you much at all....I actually built one for about 30.00 in materials....time was about 5 hrs or so....the cool thing about an HWT backpack is that it can be primarily black with some white accents here and there and doesnt have to be really accurate.....to purchase a completed HWT pack would cost you about $125.00 (Shipped) and a completed accurate TD backpack would be about $325.00 (shipped)let me know if I can help....ive built a few ;)

Hope it helps.

:)

Saludos

Thank you! All good information!

let me know if I can help....ive built a few ;)

Also very helpful information.

Thank you as well!

What do you build the frames out of?

I think once I have that, the rest SHOULD be fairly easy. Just walk around Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot/etc. and find stuff that strikes my interest. Right?

Definitely feel free to email me any suggestions/tips/tricks/etc.

Thanks again guys! I was afraid this was going to be yet another project I would have to put off due to costs.

a HWT backpack wont cost you much at all....I actually built one for about 30.00 in materials....time was about 5 hrs or so....the cool thing about an HWT backpack is that it can be primarily black with some white accents here and there and doesnt have to be really accurate.....to purchase a completed HWT pack would cost you about $125.00 (Shipped) and a completed accurate TD backpack would be about $325.00 (shipped)let me know if I can help....ive built a few ;)

Where were you when I was starting out? I'd have bought one from you bro!

It will also depend on what tools you have and supplies, and what your time is worth to you. I spent almost two vacation days running around finding parts, painting, running to Home Depot to get that one thing I didn't know I'd need etc. While I felt it was a great achievement in making my own the first time, I'd never make another, esp. with young kids I'd pay more in daycare than it would to just buy a completed one. :-p

Where were you when I was starting out? I'd have bought one from you bro!

It will also depend on what tools you have and supplies, and what your time is worth to you. I spent almost two vacation days running around finding parts, painting, running to Home Depot to get that one thing I didn't know I'd need etc. While I felt it was a great achievement in making my own the first time, I'd never make another, esp. with young kids I'd pay more in daycare than it would to just buy a completed one. :-p

lol....my vacations are spent in the basement....so the next time you need one....let me know :)

So Dirty Boy,

What do you build the frames out of?

I think once I have that, the rest SHOULD be fairly easy. Just walk around Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot/etc. and find stuff that strikes my interest. Right?

Definitely feel free to email me any suggestions/tips/tricks/etc.

Thanks again guys! I was afraid this was going to be yet another project I would have to put off due to costs.

1/2 PVC.....the link Juan posted is perfect for the dimensions...i use the white PVC as opposed to the yellowish CPVC stuff....i think thats what they use for just cold water or something....dimensions are different and with the standard PVC its a little stronger and a little easier to find.

RadioShack is a good place to get some stuff to trick it out....but mainly the plumbing section at the depot will be your favorite place...BTW....Walmarts .99 cent black sparypaint rocks....the white sucks :)

Post pics of your progress

• 1 month later...

I've been collecting bottles, jars, caps & what ever caught my eye for the last two years. If it looked like it might look good for the sandtrooepr back pack I saved it. Now Im in the process of making a backpack for my wife's TD. With digging in the cubbard for square shapped "tupperware" boxes, picking up stuff at the .99 store & hitting Harbor Freight today. I got about $30 into my back pack, & add $10 for paint. I'll have a decent looking pack for the wife in a couple days. :td:

Okay, I went to Home Depot yesterday and checked out pvc piple. I think Ill go 3/4 for a buck twenty. It seems sturdy enough to build a frame out of. Thoughts?

So Ill build my own frame. I will find some thing that might look interesting for a heavy weapons pack.

My BIG question at this point though..... WHAT DO I USE FOR A HARNESS????

My suggestion would be to use the 1/2" pipe....its plenty sturdy enough and any weight you can save will be really important later. When you say harness....do you mean backpack straps?

Okay. Good idea. I may have gotten my numbers mixed up anyway. What I looked at was as thin as I'd dare go. It probably was 1/2" actually.

Yes, the straps/harness that holds the backpack on you. There are probably tutorials for that on here that I should look for when I get the chance. But Im currently doing too many things at once. lol

I used 1" nylon webbing stap from Supply Sgt ( military surlpus & camping store) You should be able to find this at any camping or fabric store. They usually sell it by the foot or yard. I think I paid under $6.00 for 3yrds. I had way too much left over. 2yd should be plenty if you go this route. :td: