Radio Chatter App

FIVE

So you all probably know about the MEPD (sandtrooper only if you click the link) loop that Skutch made to play over your MP3 player on troops and add ambiance. Then TK236 made an "updated" version with even more whirrs and sound effects like a sandtrooper pack would make. (also 501st sandtrooper only)

These things are GREAT and I use them both on troops all the time playing through my MR1505 amp. They add a TON to the atmosphere of a troop and really make it fun for kids of all ages.

Anyway... today whilst killing time on my iPhone looking at apps (which I never buy) I ran across THIS APP called "5-0 Radio Police Scanner!"

It's a police scanner that links to LIVE police, fire, and emergency service dispatch.

My city — Albuquerque, NM — is on their list. As is Hawaii (I think I know some troopers there :salute: ).

I may have to plug into it on a troop or two. But, even if I don't it's a really fun / trooper sounding app to have for sure!

Enjoy! B)

UPDATE:

Talked to a couple of officers here in NM today and asked them if they knew of these apps... they said they did and didn't like them. They give people information (while publicly accessible anyway) that they don't think people should have and that puts them at more risk. So, in light of this, I'm sticking with the "fake chatter" loops.

I will also ask if you're using one of these apps on a troop to please tune to a station that's not actually in your city. Help protect the real troopers.

Edited by Nol
added info about talking to officers

nice find.....my dads a police officer and growing up i fell asleep listening to the scanner and waiting to hear him on it....was always really comforting. im going to see if i can find it now :)

You're welcome!

I know... it's totally cool isn't it?! It's real chatter.

Here's a salute to all those guys out there who have this as "real life" and not just an "app for fun!" :salute:

dont have it and not likely to get it,,,but PD radio in Australia is all digital so its quite clear and not alot of radio static n stuff,,,maybe someone could do up a loop of the PD Apps and post it?

Great find as all ways bro.

I will try to look into them on my wife´s iphone, as i only got a normal mobile here.

Over and out... Tttsssccchh.. click.. click :D

To all fellow Moto Droid users, or any phone on the Android platform I believe, there is a FREE police scanner app called "Scanner Radio" by Gordon Edwards.

Very cool.

Here's the barcode:

Posted Image

To all fellow Moto Droid users, or any phone on the Android platform I believe, there is a FREE police scanner app called "Scanner Radio" by Gordon Edwards.

Sweet, thanks man!

Yeah, apparently there are quite a few free and for pay ones for all phones. Very cool stuff in deed!

Although I still prefer the MEPD loop. B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have speakers in my backpack, powered by 3 AAA batteries, that I plug into my iPod. I have about 20 minutes of police/military-style radio chatter with distortion that I play in a continual loop on low volume - sounds just like a police scanner. It's from a sci-fi video-game (can't remember which one) and there's even one part where the C.O. can be heard on the radio saying "Move along, move along." The chatter also mentions shuttles, weapons, "clearing out" residential blocks, hard-points, officer down, lots of radio "10" codes, etc.

If anybody wants the MP3 files, just PM me, and I'll email them to you. They're about 20MB, so I'm not sure where/if I could post them online for download, but I'll be happy to email them to you. :)

Many thanks! :) (I can't get the link to work; I gotta be doing something wrong.)

Nope... gotta have access to the 501st sandtrooper area first. ;)

Well, regarding the radio chatter loops...

I do have access to the 501st section but cannot seem to make these links working...Any ideas?

Thanks and cheers

Patrick

Well, regarding the radio chatter loops...

I do have access to the 501st section but cannot seem to make these links working...Any ideas?

Thanks and cheers

Patrick

I know... I'm very confusing. B)

The loops are meant for sandtroopers only. So those who have a TD designation and can see the "sandtrooper only" area of the boards. Not just 501st — sorry about this mix up, I just checked where they are and that's where they are.

So, Padde, you SHOULD have that access... and now do.

TK-Tim, you will as soon as you get your TD done... even if you're not "deployed" right away.

See, there are levels, then levels in those levels of leveled levels. :P hahaha

• 2 years later...