How to: T-21 Blaster scratch build

Thanks a lot guys, glad you like it. I hope you find the tutorial helpful!

Thanks Rolf! Those comments mean a lot coming from you, I'm glad you approve!

More progress to come, I'm rigging up the speaker / electronics, and then it's on to final weathering (my favorite part!)

Now I just need to build my TD! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while, but I finally got a chance to weather the blaster and assemble the final parts.

After the previous paint work (see thread) I did a black wash and sponged off the excess, so that the back filled all the nooks and crannies.

Posted Image

After that came some highlight weathering using silver dry brushing, along with fake "chips" in the paint.

I glued on the cooling fins, and weathered them using silver, bronze and black. I have also assembled the rear sight.

Posted Image

Close up of the front sight cover and cooling fins

Posted Image

Rear view of sight in action!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Close up of front sight cover weathered

Posted Image

Close up of front sight. I also added 2 WWII replica Enfield slings like the original ones used in ANH.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Left side receiver view

Posted Image

Posted Image

I weathered the side grip panels and the stock with a combination of black, burnt umber and burnt sienna acrylics. Before applying the paint, I bashed the stock with a screwdriver handle and head from various angles to create "dents" and crevices for the black paint to sit. Then highlighted it with the lighter colors.

Posted Image

I have added the greeblies for the "gun lube" cap and reservoir. I know the rear sling mount is the wrong one, but I'll use this one for now until I can find a more screen accurate version.

Posted Image

Completed T-21

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still have a couple of small greeblies to make (front ring around barrel, those oval things where the stock is joined to the receiver) but those can come later. Good enough for trooping now!

WOW!!!!!! THATS AWESOME!!!! feel free to build one for me anytime you want...ive got a few bucks I would def throw your way for it :)

Thanks Rick, glad you like it. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think I would scratch build another one like this. There's so many hours invested into this build, it was crazy! However, having built one this way - I now know where some shortcuts and time savings could be made while maintaining the quality. I find you always learn so much after you've built something once, the second build goes faster and is more detailed, etc.

HoLeeee Cow, Terry. :blink: That sucker looks real! Very nice job with the build, the paint, and the weathering. I love how you used paint to simulate the milling cuts around the circumference of the barrel and other bits. Brilliantly simple. Very well done.

*Edited to fix a wierd auto-censor* :huh:

AWESOME!!!!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

That looks just perfect!

Man, you are a true artist...

I cant imagine how could it be more perfect!

Congrats on an AMAZING build bro!!

I know I could be in a LOT of trouble with law enforcement if carrying that around on the streets in Mexico.

It looks just real.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring us Terry.

Saludos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...